Do you prefer online games that are Free 2 Play or Subscription Fee?

Guest Jupiter

Do like online games that are free 2 play or payment only?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do like online games that are free 2 play or payment only?

• Free 2 Play
    • Online Subscripion ( 15 dollars or more a month)

Guest Jupiter

I've played my fair share of online games and I honestly prefer Free 2 Play. I didn't always have the money to go on a payment plan for games like WoW or Final Fantasy 14. Instead I played games like Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 because if you're paying monthly payments, some times it can be hindering based on your job and living conditions. I can afford to play those games today, but I choose not to as I feel its not worth the hassle. I understand that if you're paying, you will have better services and able to do more. Less server issues and getting kicked off.

So what about you, are you free 2 play or do you like to pay?

The only MMOs that I've ever played are free to play. I really don't like subscriptions, and I tend to put games down a lot and come back to them much later, so subscription based games really don't suit me at all.

The only MMOs that I've ever played are free to play. I really don't like subscriptions, and I tend to put games down a lot and come back to them much later, so subscription based games really don't suit me at all.

Same, put I don't like Pay 2 Win either. Thankfully some of my favorites aren't Pay 2 Wind, but at least have stuff worth checking out in their shops, even if it's just for styling your character.

There were two MMORPGs that I used to play which needed a subscription. World of Warcraft and Aion which I both enjoyed very much. But they were absolute time sinks. >_<

Guild Wars 2 was pretty good but it didn't really draw me in...

I suppose with MMO subscriptions they're pretty good value, assuming that's the only game you play for the next few months. But that wouldn't be very fun now would it? :P

Subscriptions, definitely.

I'm not a rich guy, but damn, those f2p games can sometimes be god-awful. And it gets worse when it's merely "f2p with limited features" like "Star Wars: The Old Republic", as it merely gives crappy features that make you go through a frustrating experience that ends with you paying for it anyway.

I guess it is possible for some f2p game creators to make a good game, if they are talented enough, but I just don't think it's very practical. Guild Wars 2, I'll admit, was one of the more well-made exceptions out there, so that's a plus. If only more f2p games could follow in its footsteps... whatever it is the GW2 creators did.

But yeah, my experience with these games is, a game with at least a cheap subscription usually has the better content. However, don't get me wrong - this is a double-edged method because the companies ended up being greedy and stuff and make you pay for all kinds of extra features that would have made your gaming experience fun and complete ("City of Heroes" comes to mind), so they aren't that great to begin with. I usually just stick with single-player games that you purchase with a single payment. It has always served me well.

• 8 months later...

I can't say I play either really, I am not particularly fond of MMOs. I would say I'd opt for free to play however, as I'm what you might say, too cheap to pay a monthly subscription. I much prefer to just buy a game upfront and play the multiplayer that comes with it for free, overall.

I can't say I play either really, I am not particularly fond of MMOs. I would say I'd opt for free to play however, as I'm what you might say, too cheap to pay a monthly subscription. I much prefer to just buy a game upfront and play the multiplayer that comes with it for free, overall.

That's really what it boils down to for me as well. I'm the type of guy who plays multiple games at once, but doesn't dedicate hundreds of hours into one game, which obviously MMOs of both types are designed to played. So If I had a paid subscription, I feel like a ton of money would be wasted a month to keep an account open even if I hardly touched the game that month.

• Agree 1

Firstly id just like to ask, What game even requires you to pay $15 a month? That's way to much for a game.

Personally it matters not to me except for the quality factor. I have played many online games in my time and I have found that pay-to-play games are not always better then free-2-play. If I am paying to play a game i have already purchased, I expect the developers to constantly improve the game or add new features such as a season pass.

Free-2-play games are either few and far between or they are not the greatest or even playable games out there.

I don't like paying for games I've already payed once for so I don't bother with subscription based games.

I don't like paying for games I've already payed once for so I don't bother with subscription based games.

I agree I play a f2p game called Aura Kingdom mmorpg and it has a high fan base. Content is uploaded weekly and maintenance happens weekly too. In my opinion fp2 anime based games are the games that are one of a kind.

I agree I play a f2p game called Aura Kingdom mmorpg and it has a high fan base. Content is uploaded weekly and maintenance happens weekly too. In my opinion fp2 anime based games are the games that are one of a kind.

I would love to play Aura Kingdom and even FFXIV even though it is a subscription but my internet cant even manage downloading the game without failing since it uses its own launcher...

I would love to play Aura Kingdom and even FFXIV even though it is a subscription but my internet cant even manage downloading the game without failing since it uses its own launcher...

I had the same problem with my old service provider. I switched to virgin media around 2 years ago and that boosted my performance and bandwidth.

Also its good to get computer that is capable of running the game... Because it might not just be your internet.

Edited by Guest