Fillers how do you deal with them?

Yuuki_Radosian

How do you deal with fillers in anime?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How do you deal with fillers in anime?

• Don't watch: use a filler guide and bust your way through to the actual anime
    • Watch: because they help you get into the characters state of mind before the main plot
    • Skip: there may be something important there (so just have a quick peak)

Fillers__by_Kalduin.thumb.png.0943e926e351170be83daf1661adf855.png

If you have ever watched one of the big three or any anime that's long enough to have a filler saga that's as long as another series that you've watched then you know how annoying fillers are .

If your a One piece , Naruto or Bleach fan you know all to well how fillers can make you wan't to kill.

So my question to all of you is

How do you deal with Fillers?

there are a few ways that I know that help deal with fillers

1. Don't watch them , use a filler guide and bust your way through to the actual anime

2. Watch them , because they help you get into the characters state of mind before the next bit in the main plot

3. Skip through them , there may be something important there (so just have a quick peak)

I watch every filler , I hate leaving gaps , even if the filler has absolutely no point I watch them just to make sure.

If it's part of a series I'm invested in, chances are I'll like it anyway. If it isn't part of a series I'm invested in, but it's still shorter and I'm watching it, chances are I'll like it anyway. I'm just that kind of person. The one off comedic Bleach fillers in particular were pretty enjoyable to me, but fillers can never be inserted into that series well enough to make sense time-wise, so...

Filler arcs are probably less enjoyable because we've already had our breather, and it feels like they're trying way too hard for there to be enough material, but even if only a little, I mostly enjoyed them, so yeah, I definitely watch them anyway.

• Agree 1

I have to agree with you there time wise fillers , most often , don't make sense but the fact that they happen (or sometimes don't as in some cases) can help build up the viewers link with the MC and other characters and show them more about the characters that they perhaps did not know or notice beforehand.Aside from that many fillers can be fun and allow for some comedic relief before the serious stuff starts up again.They can also be used to remind us of how a character was or what they are as with some of the bleach fillers that remind us that Ichigo still has a life in the human world (sort of).

I'm just stubborn so I hate leaving anything unless I'm 100% finished with it that's why I can't leave fillers un-watched

Usually, I just sit through it. It also depends on what kind of filler it is.

For example, in Dragon Ball Z, it's infamous for the filler. I didn't care for how most of it was done in the sense that they extended battles and stretched things out. I never cared much for stretching out canon arcs. I'd rather deal with an anime original arc since he writers can be creative, expand on the characters or put them into situations that maybe the source material didn't. I know some didn't like Naruto's filler. I didn't mind them since they were usually so character focused.

A series with some filler is Sailor Moon. I feel that show benefited from the filler. We got to know the girls better because of them.

So yeah...it depends on how the filler is done for me. Sailor Moon way, no problem. DBZ or Bleach way.....no thanks.

Haha as a Naruto fan I really enjoyed the Naruto fillers and as for Sailor moon , I haven't seen it though I plan to . . . One day . The Bleach fillers are some of the more annoying ones or so I've heard but I still had fun with them . I've only just started One Piece (30 some odd episodes in) and I have heard that the fillers in 1P are really bad , this from the hardcore fans (lol) , and I am hoping that this is just over exaggeration.

Haha as a Naruto fan I really enjoyed the Naruto fillers and as for Sailor moon , I haven't seen it though I plan to . . . One day . The Bleach fillers are some of the more annoying ones or so I've heard but I still had fun with them . I've only just started One Piece (30 some odd episodes in) and I have heard that the fillers in 1P are really bad , this from the hardcore fans (lol) , and I am hoping that this is just over exaggeration.
I dropped Naruto and Bleach. lol I liked the fillers for Naruto, though. One of my favorite filler eps was when the kids were trying to unmask Kakashi or that one where we learn that Neji actually has a fear of the supernatural (ghosts). I loved that. I only dropped Naruto because I just became bored and felt the story should just end. Felt the same about the manga.

Bleach however...I can't recall what it was about the filler, but I did find them annoying. Also grew bored.

Sailor Moon was interesting in the sense that we saw them doing things outside of "Sailor Business", that they had lives outside of just being Sailor Soldiers and, imo, this is the main problem with Sailor Moon Crystal. It's great they're sticking so closely to the manga so far, but it suffers in the sense that the girls themselves aren't as interesting as the original anime. Sailor Business, Sailor Business, Sailor Business. Always Sailor Business. There's more to them than "Sailor Business". I just can't get that from Crystal.

For now I'll have to take your word on Sailor Moon , but I'll watch it my self one day and then I will truly be able to agree ,or not.

As for Naruto I won't argue with you about the story as we are different people and see things differently and I respect your opinion , and I agree that at times it seemed to be "thinning out" with regards to the story but being unable to quit watching I stuck through it and it was well worth it (for me ) .

Thanks for sharing and I hope you don't think I was trying to be 'That guy (you know the one , everyone thinks hes an A*# [lol]) , but those were my honest thoughts

For now I'll have to take your word on Sailor Moon , but I'll watch it my self one day and then I will truly be able to agree ,or not.
For the original series, it had only two anime-original filler arcs. The rest of the series just had filler eps tossed in here and there.

As for Naruto I won't argue with you about the story as we are different people and see things differently and I respect your opinion , and I agree that at times it seemed to be "thinning out" with regards to the story but being unable to quit watching I stuck through it and it was well worth it (for me ) .
I notice I have this problem with a lot of shounen series in a general sense. Just felt the story could've been finished up sooner. I'm surprised I actually managed to get through DBZ. I notice as I'm getting older, I lose interest sooner for some reason. So yeah, Naruto I dropped (anime/manga), Bleach (anime/manga), Inuyasha (anime/manga), etc. at those times, so it's definitely me.

Thanks for sharing and I hope you don't think I was trying to be 'That guy (you know the one , everyone thinks hes an A*# [lol]) , but those were my honest thoughts
Oh no problem! I wasn't offended at all. I know many people disagree with me about Naruto. lol

I Am a fan of most of the long running shounen so I think I just have a thing for the longer more drawn out anime (emphasis on the DRAWN OUT bit [lol]) not that I like to wait but I love to think of all the possibilities for the Big picture and , usually get it wrong because I missed some small detail:? .

I'm enjoying One Piece so far (first time I've heard a Naruto fan say that :D) so here's hoping it doesn't become the third anime I drop :? , but being one of the longer ones I'll probably end up loving it (not more than Naruto #OldHabitsDieHard)

• 2 weeks later...
2. Watch them , because they help you get into the characters state of mind before the next bit in the main plot

This.

I actually like fillers. Most fillers show slight character development, usually seeing their lighter side... and often it's a nice change of pace from the main plot (usually).

With all these anime movie summary adaptations being released you do tend to notice the omission of fillers. And when they're taken out you do get the sense that some of them do help show more of each character's personality despite how repetitive it may have been in the TV series.

just like naruto fillers are really getting annoying because we the fans are tired of fillers the fans want the main action not the others . And yeah i can agree with this

Watch them ' date=' because they help you get into the characters state of mind before the next bit in the main plot[/quote']

This.

I actually like fillers. Most fillers show slight character development, usually seeing their lighter side... and often it's a nice change of pace from the main plot (usually).

With all these anime movie summary adaptations being released you do tend to notice the omission of fillers. And when they're taken out you do get the sense that some of them do help show more of each character's personality despite how repetitive it may have been in the TV series.

I said something similar. It's nice that most fillers in some series are pretty character focused. Like the filler in Naruto Shippuden (that many disliked, that I liked) that dealt with Neji having a fear of ghosts was entertaining to me. I liked the idea of the always cool, calm, and collected Neji having a fear of something. I thought that was a nice addition.

But yeah, for me, it depends on how the filler is done. The way they did it in DBZ where they extended canon arcs and padded it out, was bothersome. The filler eps in DBZ I did enjoy were like the ones where Goku and Piccolo were trying to get a driver's license (hilarity ensued) or what they were doing in their down time. That kind of stuff I don't mind. Same with Dragon Ball. I loved the arc that led up to Goku and Chichi's wedding which wasn't in the manga. I liked how Goku was all, "Why are you hugging on me" to "Chichi means a lot to me". I wish the manga would've done that. Alas, it didn't. It was nice seeing Goku and Chichi actually interacting since the times they met up wasn't very much. Their first meeting, the time where he ran into her and her father and saved them (before he growth spurt and his training at Kami's lookout) and Goku noticed Chichi had grown slightly taller, and then later at the martial arts tournament. So yeah, that kind of filler and padding I like. Goku powering up for 10 episodes and Namek taking five years to blow up as opposed to five minutes...no thanks. lol

I dropped Bleach, but it wasn't because of the fillers. (I skipped most of them.) The more annoying part is how they tried to force the Bount arc as cannon even long after it finished. In short, it wasn't the filler alone that made me drop it, it was the fact they forced it up your face even when it's not relevant.

Filler can potentially break an anime, but filler itself isn't bad. I never seen One Piece, but I heard that most of the filler comes from scrapped arcs that the Mangaka couldn't fit in, I think this is a smart way to do filler.

I said something similar. It's nice that most fillers in some series are pretty character focused. Like the filler in Naruto Shippuden (that many disliked, that I liked) that dealt with Neji having a fear of ghosts was entertaining to me. I liked the idea of the always cool, calm, and collected Neji having a fear of something. I thought that was a nice addition.

I laughed so hard :D:'(:D.

Filler can potentially break an anime, but filler itself isn't bad.

Very true I know loads of people drop anime over fillers even when they were made really well.

I never seen One Piece, but I heard that most of the filler comes from scrapped arcs that the Mangaka couldn't fit in, I think this is a smart way to do filler.

I've only gotten through 240 episodes of one piece (as of 20 minutes ago) but from what I have seen the fillers are a 50/50 deal , some of them are really enjoyable and some aren't and some have no reason to exist what so ever .

In the end it really comes down to how the filler is made and (relative) relevance to the show and characters.

If they get made badly then no one will want to watch them , the same is also true if they are about something completely unrelated.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jupiter

Some filler episodes are good to watch and others are random and a waste of time. But I watch them any way so that I can have a better feel of the anime in general.

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen the kind of fillers I had, I usually know their quality and would just skip them to get to the main story the author/mangaka was trying to tell the audience (too lazy to read the manga :P). Stuff like Detective Conan and Fairy Tail hardly had interesting fillers, AFAIR, so I wouldn't regret much.

Of course, there are well-written anime series out there who make good use of fillers to give us a deeper insight to the story (FMA:B, hell yeah). That would be the kind of filler I would watch.

Having seen the kind of fillers I had, I usually know their quality and would just skip them to get to the main story

True sometimes fillers are just that , purely there to take up time or give the viewer something to watch while the next bit of the main story is animated .

Of course, there are well-written anime series out there who make good use of fillers to give us a deeper insight to the story

Also true , there are some fillers that are so good that they are almost considered to be part of the main story ( by us fans that is :P).

• 1 month later...
  • Geano locked this topic