The Disapperance of Nagato Yuki-chan

Optic

[FLOAT_RIGHT]the-disappearance-of-nagato-yuki-chan-poster.png.d4dd3eee04583e86b11411daf5806513.png [/FLOAT_RIGHT]

This spin-off of the Haruhi Suzumiya series takes place in the world of the "Disappearance" arc of the original novels, focusing on the high school life (and romance!) of a tentative and bashful Yuki Nagato quite unlike the one you've come to know and love through the usual exploits of the SOS Brigade... but no less charming!

As the shy head of the Literature Club, Nagato has had a hard time recruiting members. Her close friend Ryoko Asakura supports her in this. Drafting Kyon, she eventually meets up with Haruhi Suzumiya, Tsuruya, Mikuru Asahina and Itsuki Koizumi, and has to put up with their hijinks while trying to romance Kyon. Asakura seems ambivalent about the latter prospect.

A spin-off of the infamous Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series. In this version, Yuki is a lot more cuter with Suzumiya not being in the same school as the group.

Looking forward to this, though I'm a little uncertain on the character designs. Am so used to Kyoto Animation's take on it...

[spoiler=PV]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO9-7su5fY0

You know, I was actually considering starting the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya before this show started, but I was never able to get around to it. There's also the issue on what order to watch it in as well. Perhaps I'll wait until this finishes airing, and then just watch it all at once.

My bro was watching the first series not to long ago. He's probably gonna be watching this when I comes out.

Personally I could never get in the Haruhi series. Haruhi herself is just such a jerk I can't enjoy it.

• Agree 1

Haruhi herself is just such a jerk I can't enjoy it.

How far did you get into the series? I admit it's definitely a series where you either love it or hate it.

I feel much of the reason I enjoyed it was because Haruhi is so free-willed and pushy yet at the same time wasn't a full on bratty tsundere as she was (mostly) kept in check by Kyon (his reactions and commentary is hilarious).

How far did you get into the series? I admit it's definitely a series where you either love it or hate it.

I feel much of the reason I enjoyed it was because Haruhi is so free-willed and pushy yet at the same time wasn't a full on bratty tsundere as she was (mostly) kept in check by Kyon (his reactions and commentary is hilarious).

Well, I never actually tried to watch the show, I just saw some when my bro watched it, and decided that I was done.

So, when's this show coming out? Add is there any word on an ENG dub? Cause I did like the voices.

It's definitely worth a watch. Would recommend it. :)

Going back on-topic, the first episode of this one aired in Japan on April 4th, FUNimation has the rights to this one so we can probably start expecting to see subs within a week:

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/03/28/funimation-acquires-rights-for-the-disappearance-of-nagato-yuki-chan/

Given the immense popularity of this franchise I am sure they have the rights for a future English dub as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't the charm with Nagato due to her stoic personality? Making her a shy moe-ish character just makes me lose interest in this series quickly - and I used to love the movie too.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've lost interest in this one - but may pick it up again once it finishes airing.

Overall it's just so bland!

I realise this is a spin-off on a completely different Haruhi universe where nothing outrageous happens, and a different take on the franchise (from a different manga) but it's hard not to make comparisons to Kyoto's version:

• Humour is quite shallow: Kyon is nowhere near as slapstick as he used to be.
  • Radically different art style: it's not bad by any means, but just seems too soft for my liking. Everyone looks so "baby-faced".
  • Pacing is dreadfully slow.

Basically I am biased because The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie ended on such a good and epic note. It will take some time for me to separate my experience from that with Nagato Yuki-chan.

Why is this show not being produced by Kyoto animation?

This blog entry explains really well how Kyoto Animation moved away from the main Haruhi series. It's a good read.

• Geano locked this topic