What browser are you using?

drill

So, I'm one of those weird people that have tried pretty much every application available for things that I use including browsers, email clients, IMs, file explorers, word processors, etc. As such, I'm using a browser that I doubt any of you have ever heard of called Yandex. Its a Russian browser that is built on chromium and has a lot of features that aren't seen elsewhere. It also fits in nicely with the Win8 UI. What browser do you use and why?

• Informative 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yandex looks interesting, hadn't heard of it before until now.

I'm using Google Chrome, mainly for the nice integration with Google accounts once you're signed in as I'm a Gmail user. xD I used to sync my bookmarks too when I had an Android phone which worked really well but I've gone back to iOS now.. I still like Chrome though so it's mainly habit.

My second preference is Firefox, used that for a long time and occasionally I switch to it to make sure this website looks good too on that browser.

@Optic: you should try Yandex out if you're interested. It has its own syncing feature, but imports pretty much everything from chrome perfectly. Also, I should point out that any chromium based browser will have nice integration with Google accounts, so you shouldn't feel limited to chrome if that's your only reason for sticking with it.

I actually used to use firefox as well, as there was an extension that I used for it that saved half completed forum posts for later. After a while, I got tired of it, and just typed stuff into Word if I knew I wasn't going to finish.

@Dream: I actually have yet to try Opera NEXT. I didn't even realize they had a beta build. The only thing that really frustrated me with Opera was the fact that when I went to switch tabs that I would end up selecting the browser instead (as I click at the very top of the tab to switch most of the time :P) Other than that though it was a decent browser. I should also mention that there is a way around the extension part where you can install chrome extensions on Opera. Since you mentioned it, I'll probably give it a try again in a few days and see how I like it (this time ill make sure to use the beta build though ;))

@Dream: So, I decided to try out Opera NEXT now, and it seems pretty good. The only thing that I noticed is that you cant move the extensions around freely, but just installing them in the right order helps fix that.

EDIT: Wow, they had a setting for disabling the top few pixels when maximized... I wonder how long that has been a feature, and why I didn't notice that before :P

• 2 months later...

Well, I switched back to Yandex after trying every other browser after being dissatisfied with Opera because of its odd notifications. I never really noticed this before until I started using the Gmail checker extension. I can finally move my extension order around as well, which was another limitation of Opera. And finally I have syncing capabilities. Fortunately, the only real drawback to Yandex is it takes a few more seconds than normal browsers to close; however, I don't plan on closing it, so that's not an issue :P

Honestly, I really don't see why I liked Yandex so much in the past. Yes, it has some nice features, but it uses a TON of RAM. I tested it out, and while it does not take up nearly as much as Chrome, it can still hit 1 GB pretty easily (like having around 5 or so tabs open). I'm trying out Firefox now after leaving it a long time ago. I have to say, I like it a lot. It does everything I want it to do, it uses very little RAM, and its extremely customizable (unlike any chromium based browser).

That's a healthy amount. :)

On a related note, it seems I've been using the 32 bit version of Chrome for a very long time!

I didn't realise they had a 64 bit version... seems it's not the default option when you download it...

download-google-chome-64-bit.png.72a0f94b7661baeb7ba00f1e7c1d5cfe.png

Giving it a go now:

google-chrome-64-bit-version.png.8b958919e83c8a6336c12569fb83ffce.png

It seems to render pages faster and definitely less lag when scrolling, especially with multiple tabs open. Will see how it goes over the next few days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to use Chrome a while ago. I loved the speed, but somehow, one way or another, I ended up being with Firefox again due to reasons unknown. I haven't changed my Firefox skin/background theme for a long time. It's currently a 'Dark Knight Joker' theme. Bleh. I'm too lazy to change it.