Just lurking around

zoop

b-but I've been here much longer ;-;

Good point, we can't very well completely disregard seniority.

Though, for the sake of being good natured and charitable - something that can be useful at times, even to evil overlords, you could donate the title to him for one weekend out of the year, every third year? :-/

Good point, we can't very well completely disregard seniority.

Though, for the sake of being good natured and charitable - something that can be useful at times, even to evil overlords, you could donate the title to him for one weekend out of the year, every third year? :-/

hmmm okay I shall think about it ^^

• Like 1

hahaha I like that donate to me hahaha

if it wasn't due to the fact that it was thrust upon me due to some ones lack of activity

that and the fact that im a descendant of van demons land that I have an upbringing in the area

but anyways look at the two of you getting all friendly chummy, really a friendly chummy evil over lord need I say more :P

but anyways look at the two of you getting all friendly chummy, really a friendly chummy evil over lord need I say more :P

The best way to be an evil overlord, and more importantly to stay an evil overlord, is to realize that acting like a comic book villain is counter productive. If you're well liked, have like minded acquaintances, and pick your battles you'll be much more likely to maintain your own seat of power.

Being evil doesn't have to be about mindless criminal insanity - it can, more productively, be more about watching out for your own interests, and the interests of those you keep close to yourself, rather than (and sometimes at the expense of) the interests of greater society.

Maintaining equitable social connections with those you can consider equal or near-equal, and that are unlikely to try and step on your toes, is natural and healthy regardless of your alignment, and is less likely to result in unnecessary back stabbing and other unpleasantness than acting like a bad fantasy villain trope.

Besides, if you're not chummy with anyone, nobody will be around to enjoy a magnificently expensive brandy with you after you've defeated the would-be heroines of your story. Where is the fun in that? Who would you brag to, and who would be able to appreciate your wonderfully evil monologs?

• Agree 1

spoken like some one grasping at straws to stay when put out to retirement hmm

and good brandy is savored and shared by retired people reminiscing in their believe that they are still fully capable of doing a job they no longer do hmmm

spoken like some one grasping at straws to stay when put out to retirement hmm

and good brandy is savored and shared by retired people reminiscing in their believe that they are still fully capable of doing a job they no longer do hmmm

I suppose it is a question of taste, class, and refinement - the difference between those who struggle desperately for a sense of personal legitimacy, and those who are beyond such juvenile insecurities.

A true overlord need not force themselves to conform and bend to a narrowly defined role, instead, it is the role that bends to them.

• 5 months later...
PER-LEASE tell me how to be a moderator!!:-/:-/

There's generally no how per se.

I joined the site and was an active, contributing member of the community, making generally high quality posts, etc. I used the forum frequently, submitted a ton of reports any time I saw anything bad, all while generally not caring if I was made a moderator or not. I was just doing what I generally always did, without a specific end goal in mind.

Eventually there came a time when the existing site staff decided that they needed an extra set of hands. When this happened, the impression that they'd gotten of me through my time here was apparently sufficiently impressive that they decided to offer me the role. I accepted it. There wasn't really anything magical or mysterious about it - it was, in fact, fairly boring overall.

So, now you know how to become a moderator. Let's talk about what happens after you're a moderator.

Congratulations, you get a fancy staff tag. Congratulations, any time there's ever a mess on the forum, you're the person that gets to deal with it. Congratulations, any time cleaning up a mess involves coming down on someone that people like for doing something really bad, you become very (note, I'm being sarcastic) popular. Congratulations, when it comes to dealing with the fallout of those messes, you're the person that has to deal with the after-drama drama.

I'll be blunt. Being a moderator isn't something to eagerly pine after. It's a pain in the ass, and it will invariably shift your perspective of a community by forcing you to always be aware of the worst aspects of it, which often go unnoticed by everyone else due to the actions of the moderation team.

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1