Death Note Movie?

ChibiChan12

Hello everyone! So, I'm not a fan of Death Note or anything, in fact I've never even watched an episode of the anime or read the manga. I know, you're then probably wondering why I made this. Well, it's just a matter of fact that there's currently a Netflix film based off the anime in process. So, I was just going to ask all you guys what you thought about this, since I'm sure at least some of you know about the Death Note anime or are even a fan.

I've heard that quite a few people don't like how the movie looks so far, since apparently there's a lot of things that they didn't stay true to from the original anime. Which, I can certainly see why that would make fans upset. That's similar to if they made a live action Sailor Moon film, but change things that were in the animes and mangas. That would make me mad. >.<

Basically, (if you didn't feel like reading the stuff above) I'm just asking what you guys think of the live action Death Note movie coming to Netflix? I really don't know hardly anything about the anime so I can't say much. xD

Here's the teaser trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS9UW2xjdqE

Thanks and can't wait to hear your thoughts! :)

Looks disgusting, like vomit-worthy. After seeing the show and loving it I cant stand to see this happening to it, the live action looks terrible! Light is seposed to be handsome, that guy is ugly. L is white, not black and he doesn't wear shoes! Misa Amane is not some edgy moron, ug! Everybody thinks being edgy is cool nowadays so they had to go ruin Misa Misa? One of the most non edgy characters ever! The only thing I think they nailed perfectly is Ryuks voice actor, William defoe (that's his name right?) is an amazing actor and his voice is really creepy so that was a good choice.

I will definitely not watch this anytime soon. >:(

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's going to be nothing like the Anime or Manga that's for sure but I'm still going to probably watch it because I wanna see what it's like because the trailer has caught my attention.

It's definitely not going to be on the same level as the Anime and Manga but it still could be some what decent.

• Like 1

Like I said elsewhere, it really looks to be par for the course as far as most American adaptations of Japanese franchises go - it isn't going to be a one-to-one port of the original story with the original characters, and a lot of things are going to be changed to make sense to and to appeal to Western audiences. It's going to be its own thing, similar in many regards to the original, but with its own spin on everything.

Nobody on this site is this movie's target audience - in fact, I dare say that nobody who has seen or heard of the original source material is the target audience.

So who is it being made for? The same people who went out and watched The Ring in theaters, despite having never seen or heard of the Japanese movie, Ringu. It's for the folks who went out and saw Shutter, despite having never seen or heard of the Thai original. It's for the people who went out and saw Let Me In, without knowing that it was based off a Swedish novel/movie called Let the Right One In.

And... personally, that doesn't actually bother me. I've enjoyed American adaptations of foreign film plenty of times in the past (though I almost always prefer the original material), and am often amused at the various tweaks that are made to make the story more approachable for Westerners. It can be mildly amusing to see what makes the cut and what doesn't.

Light is seposed to be handsome, that guy is ugly. L is white, not black and he doesn't wear shoes! Misa Amane is not some edgy moron, ug!

So... if they were doing a more direct adaptation, like is the case with Ghost in the Shell (which is honestly a true rarity, for better or worse), I'd be inclined to agree, but in this case given the scope of the changes being made, I don't think it's all that unreasonable to expect that all of the characters are going to be shuffled up a bit. Even if the end result of said shuffling is that everyone ends up being Edgelord Supremes.

As for myself, I'll probably watch it at some point with extremely low expectations. I figure if it turns out poorly, it'll probably at least make a good (if unintentional) goofy comedy. No matter how bad it ends up being, however, I'm sure it'll be a better movie than Chappie was. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

My thoughts on this movie are already posted in a forum ... I tend to rant about things when I get upset so it's quiet long, I wouldn't want to waste space on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Like I said elsewhere, it really looks to be par for the course as far as most American adaptations of Japanese franchises go - it isn't going to be a one-to-one port of the original story with the original characters, and a lot of things are going to be changed to make sense to and to appeal to Western audiences. It's going to be its own thing, similar in many regards to the original, but with its own spin on everything.

Nobody on this site is this movie's target audience - in fact, I dare say that nobody who has seen or heard of the original source material is the target audience.

So who is it being made for? The same people who went out and watched The Ring in theaters, despite having never seen or heard of the Japanese movie, Ringu. It's for the folks who went out and saw Shutter, despite having never seen or heard of the Thai original. It's for the people who went out and saw Let Me In, without knowing that it was based off a Swedish novel/movie called Let the Right One In.

And... personally, that doesn't actually bother me. I've enjoyed American adaptations of foreign film plenty of times in the past (though I almost always prefer the original material), and am often amused at the various tweaks that are made to make the story more approachable for Westerners. It can be mildly amusing to see what makes the cut and what doesn't.

So... if they were doing a more direct adaptation, like is the case with Ghost in the Shell (which is honestly a true rarity, for better or worse), I'd be inclined to agree, but in this case given the scope of the changes being made, I don't think it's all that unreasonable to expect that all of the characters are going to be shuffled up a bit. Even if the end result of said shuffling is that everyone ends up being Edgelord Supremes.

As for myself, I'll probably watch it at some point with extremely low expectations. I figure if it turns out poorly, it'll probably at least make a good (if unintentional) goofy comedy. No matter how bad it ends up being, however, I'm sure it'll be a better movie than Chappie was. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With the minor exception that I take just a bit of issue with Ghost in the Shell, as it looks to be carbon copy of the first movie, which is the worst thing that was ever made in the Ghost in the Shell line-up, I agree with this. It's ironic though isn't it? The first time they go with proper material from the anime they've adapted, and it's the worst story they could have gone with. I'd have preferred The Laughing Man case, or even the most recent Ghost in the Shell film to make it West side be the basis of the film's plot, but that didn't happen. Back on topic though, whatever this Deathnote film ends up being, worse could happen and the series will survive just fine.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for all your insightful responses. As for my opinion, even though I don't know much about it, I kind of understand why they westernized it, but also think that they're kind of not caring what the real fans (you know, the people that made it popular) think about it. But on the other hand, apparently there is a different Death Note movie out, it has an entirely Japanese cast but I heard that it's good. So, maybe they figured the original fans already had a movie based off the real thing and so the American version is more for the people that don't know about the anime and manga. Just like what @zoop said, they're making it for the basic people who don't care what happened in the original and just want to see the westernized version, and I can understand that.

Anyway, thanks again for your guys' replies! I really appreciated them. :)

• Like 3

Personally, I think the trailer for the new Netflix show is a disgrace. Though I was never crazy about the anime (always thought the manga had a strong edge better), seeing the story play out with real life characters is ridiculous, besides the overly dramatic acting, terrible effects, Westernization bastardization, and overall cringe-worthy factor.

Nevertheless, I will say that for those who haven't seen the original or read the original, perhaps this new show could be a good stepping stone for them to get into anime and manga. Besides that though, I don't see any saving virtues in this new stinkheap.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for all your insightful responses. As for my opinion, even though I don't know much about it, I kind of understand why they westernized it, but also think that they're kind of not caring what the real fans (you know, the people that made it popular) think about it. But on the other hand, apparently there is a different Death Note movie out, it has an entirely Japanese cast but I heard that it's good. So, maybe they figured the original fans already had a movie based off the real thing and so the American version is more for the people that don't know about the anime and manga. Just like what @zoop said, they're making it for the basic people who don't care what happened in the original and just want to see the westernized version, and I can understand that.

Anyway, thanks again for your guys' replies! I really appreciated them. :)

Are you talking about this particular movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758742/?ref_=nv_sr_3

If you are, than it is not that great, since either the actors do not know what a heart attack is or the director did not know what a real heart attack was like.

As for the American adaptation, I do not know what to think of it. I do not like some changes that they made, but I am not going to write it off just yet.

• Like 1

Are you talking about this particular movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758742/?ref_=nv_sr_3

If you are, than it is not that great, since either the actors do not know what a heart attack is or the director did not know what a real heart attack was like.

As for the American adaptation, I do not know what to think of it. I do not like some changes that they made, but I am not going to write it off just yet.

Oh, I see. Well I thought I read somewhere that fans liked it but oh well. Like I said, I don't know hardly anything about DN so gomen (sorry) then. xD

I guess we will just have to wait and see. ☺

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Oh, I see. Well I thought I read somewhere that fans liked it but oh well. Like I said, I don't know hardly anything about DN so gomen (sorry) then. xD

I guess we will just have to wait and see. ☺

It might have received good praise from fans, since the sequel ends around the part people thought that the anime should end, but it was not as satisfying to me as the first 25 episodes of the show. There was nothing you needed to apologize for, so everything is okay.

Edited by Guest

• Geano locked this topic