Attack on Titan Season 2 - Episode 12 Discussion (Finale)

RepentantSky

So, it's happened, season 2 is over and for fans of the anime, it will be supposedly another year before the next season, we'll see how that goes. But I'm more interested in what people thought of it, and the season as a whole.

If I'm being honest, it's a mixed bag for me. For starters, the cliffhanger ending set-up was rather annoying, because we're led to believe that the monkey titan is Eren's father, and even if that turns out to be true, it's not only stupid because he should have been well aware of Eren never wanting to join the cause of the titans, so giving him the power to control them is not only pointless, but could fall into a villain being overly cocky and I'm sick of that story. It also only feels so far at least that Eren was given that power simply because the anime had been backed up into a creative corner so there you go, the guy who hates titans can control them now, so why not have use this power to make all the titans kill each other, and then make whatever titan survives the bout rip it's own neck out, bam the non-titan humans win. There's also the fact that I question why we spent so much time focusing on why whatever situation the Armored and Colossal titans are in matters to anyone, and why Ymir is proper substitute for Eren. Also, it boggles the mind why Ymir wasn't being controlled by Eren when we know at least some of the titans are. We have assume either some titans aren't humans, or that only weak-minded people, A.K.A. people who aren't given names or play a role in the story can be controlled, which would still make Eren too powerful, as he can control the vast majority of titans to kill the ones he can't control. The plots brought up in this episode were too many and honestly not as compelling as could have been, and I feel like focusing on characters like Ymir and Historia, which is a widely overused name these days that one would actually have, but is probably plot centric, was a dumb idea, because I don't care about those characters even as much as I do even Conney, because they became a focus too late after everyone else had been established. Also, despite having only 12 episodes as a season, they still spent almost half of the season with people standing in trees or talking or doing something that's not central to the plot of that season just because we rely too much on foreshadowing. I don't like when a show slows down half way through to take time away from things I do like, for things I don't like. It's almost as though they felt they couldn't reveal too much plot-wise because they had to have that epic ending with Eren, or because they want to stretch it out as a series as long as possible to make the most money. Whatever they were doing, and despite my complaints, the overall season is better than the first, but it's not really going to be the show it should be until it fixes pacing issues and overly broad focus problems.

Sorry, that got a bit long, what do you all think?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

If I'm being honest, it's a mixed bag for me. For starters, the cliffhanger ending set-up was rather annoying, because we're led to believe that the monkey titan is Eren's father, and even if that turns out to be true, it's not only stupid because he should have been well aware of Eren never wanting to join the cause of the titans, so giving him the power to control them is not only pointless, but could fall into a villain being overly cocky and I'm sick of that story.

I didn't really get that impression from the episodes. What makes you think that?

It also only feels so far at least that Eren was given that power simply because the anime had been backed up into a creative corner so there you go, the guy who hates titans can control them now, so why not have use this power to make all the titans kill each other, and then make whatever titan survives the bout rip it's own neck out, bam the non-titan humans win.

Consider that he just witnessed the titan that killed his mother kill the one of the people that he grew up around, and that was directly responsible for saving him as a child. Beyond that, the situation he was in was such that he was about to watch everyone he had any reason to care about be killed all in one fel swoop. Basically, I think it likely that his ability to control whatever ability it is that allowed him to do this is - at best - extremely unstable and nearly impossible, outside of instinctual use during periods of extreme duress.

Also, it boggles the mind why Ymir wasn't being controlled by Eren when we know at least some of the titans are. We have assume either some titans aren't humans, or that only weak-minded people, A.K.A. people who aren't given names or play a role in the story can be controlled, which would still make Eren too powerful, as he can control the vast majority of titans to kill the ones he can't control.

The implication is that he was only able to control mindless titans, rather than those who are able to shift into and out of titan form at will without sacrificing their own consciousness. Thus Ymir, Reiner, and Bertolt - as well as Annie - would not be impacted, though they clearly 'felt' what happened and were familiar with the concept.

As for myself, I've enjoyed the second season, though I find it unfortunate that we only got twelve episodes out of it. Thankfully the third season has already been confirmed for 2018 however, so we won't have too much of a wait ahead of us.

There's a bit of a directional shifting coming, for a while, that if they strictly follow the manga should be pretty interesting to see play out.

• Like 1

You absolutely have some points but I still feel like some things came out of the blue or were only thrown in because the story would be otherwise stuck in a rut. It would have probably worked better if they hadn't spent so many episodes in a tree basically saying nothing and doing even less. For some reason in both seasons thus far, we have high octane moments one after the other that are easy enough to follow and make the series as a whole interesting enough to watch, but then as if the creators think we can't comprehend all that's happened, it slows down for a few episodes that feel more like filler than anything else. If the next season manages to avoid that, It will be the best season in the series without a doubt.

• Agree 1

Waaaa, I've been waiting a long time for Eren x Mikasa. Does that happen in the manga?

Nope! I don't think so? At least, not up to the part that I reached. @zoop finished the manga tho, so she can tell you more?

• Like 1

Waaaa, I've been waiting a long time for Eren x Mikasa. Does that happen in the manga?

Nope! I don't think so? At least, not up to the part that I reached. @zoop finished the manga tho, so she can tell you more?

Nope. Nothing as of yet, though it looks like we did just time skip somewhat ... so who knows?

• Like 1

I haven't seen the finale yet (nor the last few episodes, I think I've missed the past 2-3) so this is kinda disappointing for me to read. I haven't liked this season at all and Eren being revealed to have a new power just isn't going to make it remediable to me - especially if the season ends on a cliff hanger. I'll keep up with what ya'll say about it but unfortunately I have too many other things I could be doing than watching a show get emotional about characters I don't really care about and then trying to win me back with something cool for the character I do care about, only to leave me hanging for a year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So, it's happened, season 2 is over and for fans of the anime, it will be supposedly another year before the next season, we'll see how that goes. But I'm more interested in what people thought of it, and the season as a whole.

Season confirmed for 2018 and honestly, I'm thankful for that. The gap between season 1 and season 2 was brutal to say the least. From what I understand, the initial gap was so long because the manga was still fairly new, and so there was not enough content to push season 2 out so soon. But regardless, I'm happy that I won't have to wait like 3 years for another season. xD

If I'm being honest, it's a mixed bag for me. For starters, the cliffhanger ending set-up was rather annoying, because we're led to believe that the monkey titan is Eren's father, and even if that turns out to be true, it's not only stupid because he should have been well aware of Eren never wanting to join the cause of the titans, so giving him the power to control them is not only pointless, but could fall into a villain being overly cocky and I'm sick of that story.

Was not aware of that? Now I feel like I missed some important details, if true. :P Of course, I admittingly have not read the manga even though I keep saying I will. So. I'm only going off the animated series here.

It also only feels so far at least that Eren was given that power simply because the anime had been backed up into a creative corner so there you go, the guy who hates titans can control them now, so why not have use this power to make all the titans kill each other, and then make whatever titan survives the bout rip it's own neck out, bam the non-titan humans win. There's also the fact that I question why we spent so much time focusing on why whatever situation the Armored and Colossal titans are in matters to anyone, and why Ymir is proper substitute for Eren. Also, it boggles the mind why Ymir wasn't being controlled by Eren when we know at least some of the titans are. We have assume either some titans aren't humans, or that only weak-minded people, A.K.A. people who aren't given names or play a role in the story can be controlled, which would still make Eren too powerful, as he can control the vast majority of titans to kill the ones he can't control. The plots brought up in this episode were too many and honestly not as compelling as could have been, and I feel like focusing on characters like Ymir and Historia, which is a widely overused name these days that one would actually have, but is probably plot centric, was a dumb idea, because I don't care about those characters even as much as I do even Conney, because they became a focus too late after everyone else had been established. Also, despite having only 12 episodes as a season, they still spent almost half of the season with people standing in trees or talking or doing something that's not central to the plot of that season just because we rely too much on foreshadowing. I don't like when a show slows down half way through to take time away from things I do like, for things I don't like. It's almost as though they felt they couldn't reveal too much plot-wise because they had to have that epic ending with Eren, or because they want to stretch it out as a series as long as possible to make the most money. Whatever they were doing, and despite my complaints, the overall season is better than the first, but it's not really going to be the show it should be until it fixes pacing issues and overly broad focus problems.

Sorry, that got a bit long, what do you all think?

Generally speaking, I can agree with a lot of the points you've made. I actually preferred season 1 over 2, though. When season 2 initially started, I had really high expectations, and at first, I was really happy with the outcome. But it DID slow down.. A LOT. And there were even points where I felt like it was just jumping around as a means to keep things going but not progressing as far as plot. I was happy to see more character backgrounds. But I felt like they were more drawn out than necessary in order to basically stretch the series out. 12 episodes was a joke to me. And I honestly can't stand the fact that most anime nowadays is 12-13 episodes. I did not expect a long season, but I did expect more content than what I was given. I won't lie, I'm an action junkie as well. There were moments I grew bored.

Overall, I just felt like things were a little more thrown around. And that made me a little frustrated.

The last episode, that cliff hanger ending really pissed me off, I won't lie. However, necessary in order to keep people gearing for season 3.

• Like 1

Season confirmed for 2018 and honestly, I'm thankful for that.

Oh thank goodness! I'm looking forward to it, then. I'll forgive this season of all of its strangeness, since it's still possible that brilliant pacing in the next season might outweigh some of my objections regarding S2.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• Geano locked this topic