Ask Orius... Stuff

Orius

What would you do if all the famous detectives of fiction were real, and they each offered to train you to become the greatest detective that ever lived?

Hah, that would be nice. I admit that I can be quite a lazy student, so I might doze off often during the lessons, but training to be a detective? I'm kinda interested. I would give it a shot, but the thing is, I feel like this kind of thing would require both talent and innate intelligence, not something you could just pick up a book and become a natural at, so I'm not really sure if it's there's much point to training someone like me.

I also don't have the greatest patience or willpower. A lot of people say that Batman's superpower is his money, but to be accurate, it's his insane amount of willpower. He's only able to train himself into that kind of super human who could go against powered beings like Darkseid and even Superman because of his willpower. I don't have that in me, so halfway through the lessons, I would either get bored and become distracted, or the detectives would give up on this piss-poor student. lol The best I could become is a Watson, a Robin, or one of those Baker Street Irregulars.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many detectives have official or unofficial nicknames. Would you want one that combined mad scientist with a word meaning detective and what would you imagine it to be?

Yeah, I can't really see mad scientist and detective being together in the same sentence. They are polar opposites with different ideals that combining them together, while it would make a really unique name, just seems way too weird for me. Besides, I want a cool nickname, and a word combined with "mad scientist" doesn't really seem to fit the description of "cool" more than it fits "eccentric".

But just for the sake of discussion, I would imagine it to be something like... "The Shining Phoenix"! Pronounced with Engrish too, mind you, and with Okabe's voice. :D

• Like 1

Have you ever been in a food fight?

Can't say I have. They don't really allow that kind of thing in Singapore. Besides, Singaporeans can be such uptight stick in the mud. They're conservative and reserved, not really the wild party animals like Americans. :P

So, not counting comic book movies (which may or may not be applicable to begin with), what are some wildly popular movies that you couldn't stand?

Not counting comic book movies? But that's half of those wildly popular movies I couldn't stand! lol

Well, aside from comic book movies, there's not many actually, off the top of my head anyway. I remember thinking Shawshank Redemption to be overrated. But the one popular movie I remember the most that I really couldn't stand (back then) was Schindler's List. I hated how it took real history and gave it a cartoonish villain. It felt insulting to holocaust victims. I'm not sure if I would feel the same today, but I felt so strongly about this back then that I gave it a 1/2 a star rating, the lowest possible rating I could give.

I want to say Transformers movies as well, but the thing is, everyone knows they suck, so I don't really mind them as long as everyone isn't blind to their terrible quality.

Another one I really hated was Jurassic World. I thought it was a cheap, shallow cash-grab that ruined the franchise, but a lot of people said the first Jurassic Park (sitting in my Top 20 Movies list) was a glorified monster b-movie, which made me hated JW even more because of those people. Ugh.

Most wildly popular movies have a good reason to be popular to begin with, so it's really hard for me to really hate a popular movie as long as it has a good story and quality entertainment.

Another one I really hated was Jurassic World. I thought it was a cheap, shallow cash-grab that ruined the franchise, but a lot of people said the first Jurassic Park (sitting in my Top 20 Movies list) was a glorified monster b-movie, which made me hated JW even more because of those people. Ugh.

... wow, I don't think I've ever heard of Jurassic Park being described that way. I actually enjoyed Jurassic World, myself, but I generally saw it as being the glorified monster b-movie, when compared to what came before.

Ever seen Jacob's Ladder?

• Like 1

Ever seen Jacob's Ladder?

Nope, but I hope to someday. I saw the trailer. It looks really disturbing. I love it. :D I hope it's not too confusing though. I don't really do well with movies that send you on a mind-trip...

Nope, but I hope to someday. I saw the trailer. It looks really disturbing. I love it. :D I hope it's not too confusing though. I don't really do well with movies that send you on a mind-trip...

You've probably noticed by now (I think I've mentioned it at least three or four times), but I really like it. x)

As to whether or not it's a head trip... I think that really depends on the viewer in this case, since my impression of the movie was that they wrapped everything up nicely, and explained what needed to be explained, both directly and indirectly.

• Like 1

What country do you wish to visit the most?

Japan, of course, but that's such a typical and boring answer for an anime forum. lol It has such unique cities and culture that it would be lots of fun to visit it one day.

• Like 1

What would you do if you found yourself in the universe of the movie you hated the most?

Probably quite bored, because most of my hated movies are only my hated ones because they're so predictable and cliched, rehashing the same ol' generic plot-lines. I would see everything that's coming and easily avoid all the dangers. Generally, I would be annoyed and ticked off that of all the movies I had to end up in something like Jurassic World. Ugh.

I think I might give myself an early death just to escape from the movie. Maybe say some stupid one-liner like a comic relief. At least I would go out with the audience laughing.

• Funny 1

You are a suspect in a murder case and the only evidence against you is the flimsiest of circumstantial evidence that could have pointed to anyone in your family. What would you do?

• Like 1

You are a suspect in a murder case and the only evidence against you is the flimsiest of circumstantial evidence that could have pointed to anyone in your family. What would you do?

Ostentatiously accuse my father of being the suspect. Act just guilty enough that I wouldn't be suspected. Think about it: usually, the culprit is the one acting the most innocent. This is true in at least 7 out of 10 cases. The one who's so blatantly the culprit is usually the one who's innocent or falsely accused.

True, I might just be unlucky enough to end up as one of those special 3 cases where the obvious suspect is found out to be the actual culprit, but I just have a nagging feeling that if I keep a low profile and act more subtly, it would attract the attention of the detective of the day even more than if I didn't, especially if said detective's donning one of those deerstalkers. lol

Or, it could end up as one of those really hilarious cases where me trying to outsmart the detective in spite of such flimsy evidence ironically led the detective onto my trail instead... In which case, at least I would provide some entertainment for the audience. Again, at least I would go out with the audience laughing. xD

• Funny 1

What would you do if met somebody that turned out to be the descendant of Jack the Ripper, and provided you proof of his lineage and that his ancestor really did commit those heinous crimes?

• Like 1

What's the most intense feeling of hatred that you have ever felt, which subsequently turned out to be an overreaction? (Yes, I know it's an oddly specific question. I just wanted to know. xD)

• Friendly 1

What would you do if met somebody that turned out to be the descendant of Jack the Ripper, and provided you proof of his lineage and that his ancestor really did commit those heinous crimes?

Well, it really depends on whether if he's as, uh, amicable, as his ancestor. I mean, I'm a guy, so even if he possessed the same psychotic nature, he probably wouldn't want much out of my guts and innards. Not much ripping to be done there.

That said, I'll keep my distance first, make sure to keep a weapon close and ensure my own survival. It's hardly the 19th Century anymore, after all. Even if he is to kill me, he won't get away as easily, and if he's truly a descendant of Ripper, then he should be intelligent enough to know that. I certainly wouldn't ask him to stay for tea, that's for sure. I won't turn him in or expose his ancestor's crimes either, as that might provoke him. It might be selfish, but I would really rather not have anything to do with someone as potentially dangerous as him. Gaining fame from exposing the Ripper just isn't worth being gutted like a pig. *shrugs*

Have you ever wondered what friendship could be?

I don't know. Does that mean we aren't friends? :'(

What's the most intense feeling of hatred that you have ever felt, which subsequently turned out to be an overreaction? (Yes, I know it's an oddly specific question. I just wanted to know. xD)

Interesting question, considering you were involved in one of such overreaction not too recently. ;)

Still, I wouldn't say that was the most intense feeling of hatred I ever had; there certainly were far more intense ones in my lifelong career of overreactions. lol But really, jokes aside, I really did have a lot of past experiences in overreactions and paranoia towards many of my best friends, now ex-best friends. Those were some of the most intense overreactions I had. A lot of them had to do with my own need for companionship. I was needy, and I was unhappy that they couldn't offer me enough of that friendship I needed. I had a very unrealistic view of what friendship should be like, partly due to the influence of television. So I drove them away in a fit of anger.

I do still look back with regret sometimes, but I've moved on for the most part. It's tiring looking back at those memories, pointless too. All we can hope to do is try to act better next time, one step at a time... even if it's just baby steps.

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1

Interesting question, considering you were involved in one of such overreaction not too recently. ;)

Oh my gosh, I'd actually totally forgotten about that... :blush:

Since you mentioned it, then tbh, I'll just say that I was afraid you were gonna leave. I'm weirdly, weirdly clingy with folks that I hardly know. And, yeah, I know that it's weird. :?:?:?

I was needy, and I was unhappy that they couldn't offer me enough of that friendship I needed. I had a very unrealistic view of what friendship should be like, partly due to the influence of television. So I drove them away in a fit of anger.

This is kinda like me, tbh, hahaha. I asked you the question because I wondered how we'd compare. We're not dissimilar. I tended to drive away friends a lot as well... I got better though!

RANDOM QUESTION TIME!!!

What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?! (If not ice cream, then cake. Actually, do you like cake?)

Sprinkles? More of them or should there be less of them?

What's your favorite time of year?!

If you could move to any place in the world, where would you go?! :o

• Like 1

Nah, just quoting something
. :D

Don't ask what inspired it. I don't know. D:

Oh, in that case... then friendship is truly magic. I mean, have you seen half of shounen anime? Friendship can fix anything. The Americans were right. lol

Out of all the writers from the golden age of detective fiction, who would you want to meet?

Okay, you're really asking the wrong person here. :D Aside from the fact that I don't read much, I also don't know any of the Golden Age writers aside from Agatha Christie, and I most certainly haven't even read any of her works. I want to say Doyle, but he's not really Golden Age, but a bit earlier. Sorry. :P

Oh my gosh, I'd actually totally forgotten about that... :blush:

Since you mentioned it, then tbh, I'll just say that I was afraid you were gonna leave.

Well, to be frank, yeah, I probably would have left if things had been left the way it did. But the community proved to be friendly enough, including the person whom I argued with, so all's well ends well. Things kinda just fixed themselves in the end. :D

RANDOM QUESTION TIME!!!

What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?! (If not ice cream, then cake. Actually, do you like cake?)

Sprinkles? More of them or should there be less of them?

What's your favorite time of year?!

If you could move to any place in the world, where would you go?! :o

Wow. That is random. Then again, I'm one to talk, considering all the random questions I've spammed. lol

Favorite flavor of ice cream: Chocolate. Chocolate is love. Tastes sweet, but not too sweet like durian and honey.

Cake: Yes, I like, but not too much. Cake has a dryer taste that, when consumed too much, leaves my mouth all dried up (if that makes any sense...). Unless it's a cake with chocolate cream maybe since the cream keeps the cake moist, but I would still prefer ice-cream over cake any day.

Sprinkles: Moderate amount. Not too much. I don't mind sprinkles, but too much is too sweet. I don't like desserts that are too sweet. And besides, they kinda take away from the chocolatey taste of my ice-cream...

Favorite time of year: Christmas. There's just an atmosphere of jolliness in the air. And as much as I'm sick of carols, they do lift one's spirits up, not to mention being just plain catchy tunes in my head. It's a nice holiday with a nice feeling. The movie, It's A Wonderful Life ironically sums up why Christmas is such a feel-good holiday.

Where would I go: Gah, this question. It never has an interesting answer coming from me. lol It's Japan, the home of anime! Like I told Brycec. xD Tokyo if you want to get specific. Maybe Disneyland too, since I've always wanted to visit there since I was a kid. Maybe Hollywood, so that I could meet all kinds of celebrities!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Winner 1

Favorite flavor of ice cream: Chocolate. Chocolate is love. Tastes sweet, but not too sweet like durian and honey.

Chocolate is the BEST flavor of ice cream, hahaha. :angel:

• Agree 2