People and Anime

Greeneyes

Okay I have question have you ever talked about anime hear anyone else talk about anime and something they said about it bothered your or annoyed you in anyway, I'm not talking about 2 otakus debating or your view on an anime is different I'm saying did someone say something about anime in general that just kinda made you feel like they are a tad wrong/annoyed/in the dark? Or anything along those lines?

nope nada never as out side work I'm basically a shut in and at work I'm basically just giving my next up the tree grief keeping him in line for me and the others

nope nada never as out side work I'm basically a shut in and at work I'm basically just giving my next up the tree grief keeping him in line for me and the others

Not even when you were younger, or where you not into anime at the time?

Okay I have question have you ever talked about anime hear anyone else talk about anime and something they said about it bothered your or annoyed you in anyway, I'm not talking about 2 otakus debating or your view on an anime is different I'm saying did someone say something about anime in general that just kinda made you feel like they are a tad wrong/annoyed/in the dark? Or anything along those lines?

Well. My dad thinks all Anime is trash and refuses to watch it. But is fine with cartoons like Famiky Guy. *Shrug*

Well. My dad thinks all Anime is trash and refuses to watch it. But is fine with cartoons like Famiky Guy. *Shrug*

.... I'm sorry that doesn't really make sense.. How can- actually I cant argue because I cant view anime in his eyes...

We will never understand some people...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not even when you were younger, or where you not into anime at the time?

well I wouldn't say even now that anime is a known thing here , its definitely not in the people I mix with I recon they'd go whats anime like I did just a few years back when I stumbled apon it

and as for when I was young well that was a fair while back and as I said ive only recently found anime and/or what it is anyways

• Like 1

All the time. There's a constant stigma against anime to be found, after all. You just need to know where to look. :D

But seriously, I'm practically numb to it now. People trash-talk about anime so often I'm used to it. And besides, it's not as bad today as it was back then.

I have not really had this problem actually, usually when people trash talk anime, they interject into the conversation, or they see me watching it.

My brother is like this a bit, and made fun of Death Note, yet he tries to have me watch Archer and a few other shows with very little substance other than comedy not appropriate for kids.

All the time. There's a constant stigma against anime to be found, after all. You just need to know where to look. :D

But seriously, I'm practically numb to it now. People trash-talk about anime so often I'm used to it. And besides, it's not as bad today as it was back then.

Agreed.

Anime, around the time I started getting into it, for some reason had this stigma. It was almost something to be embarrassed about enjoying.. However, I believe this is most likely due to the cultural differences. Even though different cultures were accepted during that time period, I'd say for sure that it is not as widely accepted as it is now, if that makes sense. I live in America though. So... I'm in a country full of people who hate other people for no reason. lol

Honestly, it was the lack of understanding where it came from and what it was about or why certain things were the way they were.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

When I was younger there was a pretty big stigma around it. It didn't help that most kids (including myself) who watched anime got a little bit too into it and since the other kids didn't understand it made us a bit of the outsiders.

Other than my dad and sister - who make fun of me for watching other cartoons like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, and Gravity Falls - I don't know anyone who knocks on anime. That said I don't have many people I consider friends and unless the person is a friend of mine I really don't talk about anime or any of the cartoons I watch IRL.

• Like 2

Absolutely. I have some friends who will watch Pokemon and DBZ but think anything else in anime is too odd. I listen to that and I'm just like, wait a minute, people catching random wild animals, some with the power to erase all existence in the event of their death, and Aliens who can fly around and hit each other so hard that they can shake the very foundation of the universe is fine with you, but a group of kids taking a vacation at a beach during summer for one episode is too much for you? What the sense make?

• Agree 1

Absolutely. I have some friends who will watch Pokemon and DBZ but think anything else in anime is too odd. I listen to that and I'm just like, wait a minute, people catching random wild animals, some with the power to erase all existence in the event of their death, and Aliens who can fly around and hit each other so hard that they can shake the very foundation of the universe is fine with you, but a group of kids taking a vacation at a beach during summer for one episode is too much for you? What the sense make?

That pretty much sums up my feelings towards most American mainstream audiences of anime. Whenever I see them talk about anime in talk shows and YouTube videos, you would only see them talk about some of the most overrated ones. Singapore's anime convention has a similar problem, in that only popular anime like SAO are showcased.

I mean, I don't want to act like some kind of pretentious know-it-all, but c'mon. Good anime don't just consist of Dragon Ball, One Piece, and Attack on Titan.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 3

That pretty much sums up my feelings towards most American mainstream audiences of anime. Whenever I see them talk about anime in talk shows and YouTube videos, you would only see them talk about some of the most overrated ones. Singapore's anime convention has a similar problem, in that only popular anime like SAO are showcased.

I mean, I don't want to act like some kind of pretentious know-it-all, but c'mon. Good anime don't just consist of Dragon Ball, One Piece, and Attack on Titan.

I could and in most instances already have made cases for why this is not true, so I couldn't agree more I wanted to. I would much rather watch an anime about someone coming of age and beginning to understand the world they'll live in for most of their lives that's 50 or less episodes, then watch a battle get hyped for the length of Anohana only for it to take even longer. That trope is tired and old, and I'm really over it.

• Like 2

Well nothing in particular, but people kind of annoy me when they have never seen anime in their life and assume it is just meant for small kids or for brainwashing and hate on it without even attempting to ever watch it.

My friends were that way for a while until I made them watch an episode of an anime with me, then they became the biggest anime nerds lol.

• Agree 2

• Geano locked this topic