Anime you are glad you didn't drop

MadaraUchiha

We all have watched an anime that didn't particularly have a good start. But, you drudged through it, probably hoping, and maybe knowing, that you'll get something special with a little bit of patience. Did you have an experience like that with any anime?

Mine are:

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood-It's my third favourite anime ever, but, it didn't have a strong start, in my opinion. Everything had to do with the pacing. It felt kind of rushed. And, after talking to a few people who've watched both FMA and FMA:B, I've come to know that FMA:B covers in 10 episodes what FMA covered in a lot more episodes. And, I did almost drop it, but, I didn't, and what I got was something that was a master-work in story-telling, character, dialogue and screenplay.

Steins;Gate-The first few episodes are convoluted. Half the time I didn't know what was going on. But, as the episodes went on, the plot became clearer, the characters were great, and the storytelling was phenomenal. And now, this is my fourth favourite anime ever.

Boku no Hero Academia-The reason is pretty dumb, actually. The protagonist was kind of whiny, and the anime seemed generic. But, as the episodes progressed, it became apparent that this was gonna be the next big shounen anime(it probably already is), and right now, it's my favourite on-going anime.

Honourable Mentions:

One Piece(because of the poor animation quality and other issues which I can't exactly remember)

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni(because of the first two episodes which kinda seemed weird and moe-ish, and I didn't really get used to the performance of the voice actors).

Mirai Nikki(because of the seemingly monotonous pacing, and the wanna-be edgy tone of the initial episodes)

Edited by Guest

God eater and Cross Ange. With GE I even updated my mal after the first episode but something made me want to watch a couple more episodes. Cross Ange is a really weird anime, not something I'd recommend but it had its moments and I'm happy I watched it.

• Agree 1

God eater and Cross Ange. With GE I even updated my mal after the first episode but something made me want to watch a couple more episodes. Cross Ange is a really weird anime, not something I'd recommend but it had its moments and I'm happy I watched it.

While I didn't really mind the initial episodes of God Eater as much as you did, I do agree that the series does get better as it progresses. The first episode was convoluted and all over the place, but, it became more focused, and everything came together towards the last few episodes.

Only one that comes to my mind is Clannad. It seemed really childish, dull, and the comedy a bit too cliché, but it ended up being really good, though it was not as deep as the visual novel, which I think did a much better as illustrating the importance of family and what it was.

Of course, if I had not seen the anime, I would not have given the VN a try.

Boku no Hero Academia-The reason is pretty dumb, actually. The protagonist was kind of whiny, and the anime seemed generic. But, as the episodes progressed, it became apparent that this was gonna be the next big shounen anime(it probably already is), and right now, it's my favourite on-going anime.

Your thoughts here was how I actually felt about the show too when I first started watching the series, but I never felt like dropping it, since I do try to give works of a fiction a chance.

Only one that comes to my mind is Clannad. It seemed really childish, dull, and the comedy a bit too cliché, but it ended up being really good, though it was not as deep as the visual novel, which I think did a much better as illustrating the importance of family and what it was.

Of course, if I had not seen the anime, I would not have given the VN a try.

Your thoughts here was how I actually felt about the show too when I first started watching the series, but I never felt like dropping it, since I do try to give works of a fiction a chance.

This is an extremely unpopular opinion, but, I didn't like Clannad or Clannad: After Story. Both of them were, at best, mediocre. And, it's not because romance anime or anime about relationships(of any sort), this was a bit too sappy for me, and that made me not connect with the characters as much as I hoped.

The thing with whiny protagonists is that they usually are one of the factors why I dislike an anime more. This is why, even though One Piece is not per se my favourite Shounen anime, Luffy is easily my favourite Shounen MC. But, I do get used to it(as I did with Naruto), but sometimes, it makes me drop stuff(like Fairy Tail, but, there were other, more potent reasons that made me do it). The silver-lining is that Deku wasn't a complete coward, so I was still able to get behind him in MHA.

• Like 1

This is an extremely unpopular opinion, but, I didn't like Clannad or Clannad: After Story. Both of them were, at best, mediocre. And, it's not because romance anime or anime about relationships(of any sort), this was a bit too sappy for me, and that made me not connect with the characters as much as I hoped

This is definitely understandable. I would have disagreed with you much more, but after having gone through the VN, I felt like I connected with the characters better and such there. I Think that the big reason for it was because they tried to cover every route in both Clannad and Clannad AS, whereas you chose the route in Clannad and started and stopped there, with probably the possible exception being Fuko, Koumura, Nagisa, and the Fujibayashi sisters, as the first three all had only slight variations to their story and the the sisters were basically the same story with different endings.

The thing with whiny protagonists is that they usually are one of the factors why I dislike an anime more. This is why, even though One Piece is not per se my favourite Shounen anime, Luffy is easily my favourite Shounen MC. But, I do get used to it(as I did with Naruto), but sometimes, it makes me drop stuff(like Fairy Tail, but, there were other, more potent reasons that made me do it). The silver-lining is that Deku wasn't a complete coward, so I was still able to get behind him in MHA.

For me, Luffy was just plain annoying, regardless of dubbing, and never really enjoyed following him, not to mention the added bonus of annoying fillers, so I dropped it, but I have to agree that Deku not being a complete coward was nice thing about MHA.

• Agree 1

This is definitely understandable. I would have disagreed with you much more, but after having gone through the VN, I felt like I connected with the characters better and such there. I Think that the big reason for it was because they tried to cover every route in both Clannad and Clannad AS, whereas you chose the route in Clannad and started and stopped there, with probably the possible exception being Fuko, Koumura, Nagisa, and the Fujibayashi sisters, as the first three all had only slight variations to their story and the the sisters were basically the same story with different endings.

For me, Luffy was just plain annoying, regardless of dubbing, and never really enjoyed following him, not to mention the added bonus of annoying fillers, so I dropped it, but I have to agree that Deku not being a complete coward was nice thing about MHA.

Clannad is one of those anime where I get why people like it(though there are other anime where I don't). But, it's not my cup of tea. Most of Kyoto animation's works aren't. The only exception is Hyouka.

I see. To me, he is extremely funny, but, to each his own, I guess. The thing that differentiates him from other protagonists is that he, for the most part, doesn't engage in a shouting contest.

So, you watching MHA season 2 every week, or waiting for it to get over?

Clannad is one of those anime where I get why people like it(though there are other anime where I don't). But, it's not my cup of tea. Most of Kyoto animation's works aren't. The only exception is Hyouka.

I am currently watching Hyouka (stupid FUNimation will not post all of the episodes until the second part comes out on BD), and I somewhat enjoyed it, but not exactly my cup of tea, since the cases and such end up being dull, and the series does seem to want to paint itself as a mystery series. Hopefully, the ending will be worth it.

I see. To me, he is extremely funny, but, to each his own, I guess. The thing that differentiates him from other protagonists is that he, for the most part, doesn't engage in a shouting contest.

That's true, and we will have to agree to disagree on him, though I do not fault you for liking him.

So, you watching MHA season 2 every week, or waiting for it to get over?

I just watch it when FUNimation posts it, which used to be the same week, but now they are behind. I am fine with either subs or dubs, but I do not have to worry about headaches and such.

I am currently watching Hyouka (stupid FUNimation will not post all of the episodes until the second part comes out on BD), and I somewhat enjoyed it, but not exactly my cup of tea, since the cases and such end up being dull, and the series does seem to want to paint itself as a mystery series. Hopefully, the ending will be worth it.

That's true, and we will have to agree to disagree on him, though I do not fault you for liking him.

I just watch it when FUNimation posts it, which used to be the same week, but now they are behind. I am fine with either subs or dubs, but I do not have to worry about headaches and such.

Well, it's an episodic show, so, it's best if you avoid binging it. The show has some sort of an ending, but, it's still episodic all the way through.

I see. The show is almost at episode 20, and hopefully the next season airs late next year or early the year after, like SnK season 3. It'd be a bummer if it gets delayed.

Well, it's an episodic show, so, it's best if you avoid binging it. The show has some sort of an ending, but, it's still episodic all the way through.

I see. That's how most works in the realm of detective, mystery, and crime fiction are.

I am actually a big fan of works that converge in all three genres or only fits one or two of them (I do not consider all three genres synonymous like many others think, though they do converge a lot), but it was not anything like the early portion of DC or Agatha Christie's best works, in that the cases were interesting and hard to figure out, neither of which seemed to come into play much.

I see. The show is almost at episode 20, and hopefully the next season airs late next year or early the year after, like SnK season 3. It'd be a bummer if it gets delayed.

I took a look at Crunchyroll's listing and I am only two episodes behind by only following FUNimation's dubbing, but I am not too sure yet if I want to see another season, whereas Snk was so unimpressive to the point where I do not care about it.

I see. That's how most works in the realm of detective, mystery, and crime fiction are.

I am actually a big fan of works that converge in all three genres or only fits one or two of them (I do not consider all three genres synonymous like many others think, though they do converge a lot), but it was not anything like the early portion of DC or Agatha Christie's best works, in that the cases were interesting and hard to figure out, neither of which seemed to come into play much.

I took a look at Crunchyroll's listing and I am only two episodes behind by only following FUNimation's dubbing, but I am not too sure yet if I want to see another season, whereas Snk was so unimpressive to the point where I do not care about it.

Psycho-Pass season 1 is sort of a marriage of detective and crime fiction, with a little bit of mystery. I found Dan Brown's first three books(Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress and Da Vinci Code) to have a good amount of mystery to it, though, his trope sort of became predictable in his book 'The Deception Point', and the book itself is middle of the road for me.

You don't want another season of MHA because you aren't really interested or?

With SnK, I followed from season 1 every week before its popularity exploded, and I hadn't really seen anything like it before. It was more of an anime for entertainment and thrills than story-telling and dialogue, with the occasional gore extravaganza which I sort of relish, if done well.

You don't want another season of MHA because you aren't really interested or?

I just do not know how well things will play. There are manga spoilers that have been fairly accurate to what will happen in the anime, but adaptations do not always remain good, such as Boku Dake ga Inai Machi (Erased), where the ending veered in a completely different direction from the manga and made some terrible decisions that ended up being worse than how things played out in the manga, as opposed to something satisfying.

Psycho-Pass season 1 is sort of a marriage of detective and crime fiction, with a little bit of mystery. I found Dan Brown's first three books(Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress and Da Vinci Code) to have a good amount of mystery to it, though, his trope sort of became predictable in his book 'The Deception Point', and the book itself is middle of the road for me.

Might have to give Psycho-Pass a try. I have not tried any of Dan Brown's books, but it is good to know that his books have some sort mystery. I mostly just take a look at things mentioned in towards the end of the DC volumes to find something that might be interesting, and I have not been disappointed too often.

I just do not know how well things will play. There are manga spoilers that have been fairly accurate to what will happen in the anime, but adaptations do not always remain good, such as Boku Dake ga Inai Machi (Erased), where the ending veered in a completely different direction from the manga and made some terrible decisions that ended up being worse than how things played out in the manga, as opposed to something satisfying.

Might have to give Psycho-Pass a try. I have not tried any of Dan Brown's books, but it is good to know that his books have some sort mystery. I mostly just take a look at things mentioned in towards the end of the DC volumes to find something that might be interesting, and I have not been disappointed too often.

There's a catch, though. The studio that animated Erased was A-1 pictures, and they have a history of deviating from the source material. Bones is the studio that's adapting MHA, and they made anime like FMAB, Noragami, Darker than Black, etc., which have been pretty faithful to the source material(or at least I think that way). If they wait for another year like they did with season 2, and release season 3, I think everything's gonna work fine.

Psycho-Pass is very, very good, in my opinion.

Pardon my ignorance, but, DC certainly doesn't mean Detective comics right? And, certainly not, Dickens Charles!?

There's a catch, though. The studio that animated Erased was A-1 pictures, and they have a history of deviating from the source material. Bones is the studio that's adapting MHA, and they made anime like FMAB, Noragami, Darker than Black, etc., which have been pretty faithful to the source material(or at least I think that way). If they wait for another year like they did with season 2, and release season 3, I think everything's gonna work fine.

I see. I know Bones did FMA (2003) and FMA (2009), but I am still not too sure where to stand on it. MHA is not bad, but I would not have my hopes up, since people did not like their Soul Eater adaptation either.

Anime does not need to be faithful to the source material to be good, but I still expect something better than a final confrontation where things are not on the line, which is what the Erased manga did right but A-1 failed badly.

Pardon my ignorance, but, DC certainly doesn't mean Detective comics right? And, certainly not, Dickens Charles!?

Problem with abbreviations is context matters, in order to read them correctly. I was talking about the work from Gosho Aoyama, which has more than 1000 chapters now. The end of those volume have blurbs on people like Hannibal Lecter, Arsene Lupin, Columbo, Sam Spade, Father Brown, Kogoro Akechi, James Bond, and a few others.

Edited by Guest

I haven't really thought of dropping an anime before and ended up not dropping it. It's like if I like it I'll watch it and if I don't anymore then I'm sorry you had your chance to impress me but you didn't and not another following episode could change that. It's already a standard for me I guess that if you want people not dropping your anime then you should give your best shot in every episode and not quit on the hype train at the middle and just regain it at the ending. :P Like stick to a movie or something if you can't deliver the full hype in 12 episodes :P (just a thought) *eats parfait*

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I see. I know Bones did FMA (2003) and FMA (2009), but I am still not too sure where to stand on it. MHA is not bad, but I would not have my hopes up, since people did not like their Soul Eater adaptation either.

Anime does not need to be faithful to the source material to be good, but I still expect something better than a final confrontation where things are not on the line, which is what the Erased manga did right but A-1 failed badly.

Problem with abbreviations is context matters, in order to read them correctly. I was talking about the work from Gosho Aoyama, which has more than 1000 chapters now. The end of those volume have blurbs on people like Hannibal Lecter, Arsene Lupin, Columbo, Sam Spade, Father Brown, Kogoro Akechi, James Bond, and a few others.

I'm not saying that anime have to be faithful to the source material for it to be good. But, if you do have a good source material, you can make sure that you stick to it. Bones has done a wonderful job with MHA, in my opinion, so, I'm faithful.

• Like 1

I will be honest and say that I don't have any. Despite my previous posts about why I may drop an anime, it still takes a lot for me to do so. That means, when I drop it, it's done, and I don't pick it back up because it did something that I didn't like. It's a bit of a different story for parts of an anime I skipped, and then got back into once a pointless dragged on something or a bad filler come into play, but yeah, when I drop an anime, I'm never going to pick it back up for any reason.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Kingdom

The only reason why the thought of dropping it crossed my mind, was because it's animation were on the level of the new Berserk animation (2016/2017), basically, it sucked. For some reason though, I continued to watch it because some of my friends for a social site I use a lot, have kept saying great things about it so I endured until I've finished the first season, if you disregard it's horrible animation, it's actually a pretty ******* great series to enjoy and when you get to S2, the animation is beautiful.

I'm glad I didn't drop this because now, it's one of my top 10 series that I enjoy to this day which made me read the manga counterpart, and the manga counterpart speaks it's own story as well.

Kingdom

The only reason why the thought of dropping it crossed my mind, was because it's animation were on the level of the new Berserk animation (2016/2017), basically, it sucked. For some reason though, I continued to watch it because some of my friends for a social site I use a lot, have kept saying great things about it so I endured until I've finished the first season, if you disregard it's horrible animation, it's actually a pretty ******* great series to enjoy and when you get to S2, the animation is beautiful.

I'm glad I didn't drop this because now, it's one of my top 10 series that I enjoy to this day which made me read the manga counterpart, and the manga counterpart speaks it's own story as well.

I put Kingdom on on-hold a couple of years ago, for a few reasons, and the animation is one of them. I'm planning to pick it up again at a later date, since everyone that has watched it rave about it.

I put Kingdom on on-hold a couple of years ago, for a few reasons, and the animation is one of them. I'm planning to pick it up again at a later date, since everyone that has watched it rave about it.

You're missing out on Ou Ki greatness.

Definitely Death Note and Steins;Gate

Death Note - I'm so glad I tried watching this anime again a few years after I dropped it. I think I was just too young when I first wanted to watch it. Death Note isn't an anime with super funny characters or awesome special effects, it's the thoughts of each character what makes this anime so interesting. So I think it just wasn't cool to me as a kid, but now I can really enjoy every aspect of this anime.

Steins;Gate - I think I'm not the only one who had this problem; the beginning is just very dry. I remember watching the first episode over and over again, because I never watched any further and by the time I wanted to continue the anime, I already forgot what happened. But I guess one day I decided to just force myself, and it was totally worth it!

• Geano locked this topic