Anime advertisements

RepentantSky

I'm actually kind of surprised I never saw a thread like this, but what just happened had inspired, or maybe rather forced me to want to talk about it. Anime is often used in advertisements in Japan because it's popularity, but seriously what is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWCUrr6kUTc

For those who don't know, that is Kiki's Delivery Service being turned into an advertisement, in 2017. That movie, is nearly 30 years old, but someone thought it would be a good idea for an advertisement to update the style to look like a regular, modern day high school anime, wherein Kiki has fallen so hard for Tombo, that she gets jealous when someone confesses feelings for him, and then in the most awkward way possible, she turns around and does the same thing to him followed by a cup of noodles showing up, and the ad ending. There was another ad not too long ago featuring the characters from FFXV in the style of t he short anime series leading up to the release of the game, but that one makes a degree of sense because cup of noddles and Square had an advertising deal. This one, makes no sense at all and I can't imagine how it ever got approved.

I wish I could say that was the only ad like that, but there have been some other, rather distasteful ads with anime out there such as Goten and Trunks from DBZ fusing into a Ford like somehow that's better given the situation that caused it to happen in the first place, which is by the way, the fate of the entire universe. Another one has Sailor Moon talking wishfully about a ford, but it's like she's talking about the same way she would about a guy she likes, which is just odd, because that's obviously not something the character would care about. I guess that's supposed to be what makes it funny, but I feel like it's missing the mark so much it becomes annoying.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents on anime advertisements, what do you all think? Actually too, is there any other weird anime ads that you'd like to being up? I think I'm kind of developing a morbid interest in them.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

I really really really really like Kiki's Delivery Service.

That ad almost made me mad. But it was ridiculous enough to not get quite mad. Totally weird though

Right? It's not quite enough to make you mad, but it is a bit frustrating and makes you question why it ever happened.

• Agree 2

I haven't seen Kiki, so I don't really have any attachment to make an opinion, but I do find such advertisements incredibly annoying as well. I remember when Detective Conan was promoting Wooo televisions. It was such a blatant advertisement without much of entertainment value. Very lazy. This Kiki advertisement does look well-animated, I guess, but it also feels like a generic high school romance (a storyline that's featured in like 80% of Japanese ads), something which I suppose the original Kiki wasn't. Boy, I could imagine being ticked off if I've seen the movie. It almost feels like Kiki is selling out in a way.

• Like 3

I haven't seen Kiki, so I don't really have any attachment to make an opinion, but I do find such advertisements incredibly annoying as well. I remember when Detective Conan was promoting Wooo televisions. It was such a blatant advertisement without much of entertainment value. Very lazy. This Kiki advertisement does look well-animated, I guess, but it also feels like a generic high school romance (a storyline that's featured in like 80% of Japanese ads), something which I suppose the original Kiki wasn't. Boy, I could imagine being ticked off if I've seen the movie. It almost feels like Kiki is selling out in a way.

What bothers me is that it's more like Miyazaki is selling out, or at least it feels like that. Since he is working on a short film for Ghibli right now, he should still own the rights to the films he made for them, and even if he doesn't, the studio would and that means they sold out which doesn't sit well with me either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Geano locked this topic