Anime Forums Newsletter

Frost

Question

Hello everyone, Kirry here again! We have been seeing some positive feedback in the "We're asking you!" thread~ I want to take a minute to thank everyone who has been responding with their feedback. Hopefully with your opinions and ideas, we can implement a better environment for this community!

That being said, one of our members, @Kohloo , had a really nice idea of a Newsletter or "magazine" - This would most likely be a once a month publishing of a downloadable newsletter with tons of fun ideas, information, ect. Because I thought this was really interesting, I wanted to make a separate thread to get everyone's perspective on it. ^_^ If you're still confused on what this means, please check out this post by @Kohloo for more information on what it would possibly be like-

I decided to go dig around a bit in that forum I mentioned with the newspaper and pulled up some covers for you guys:

[ATTACH=full]29833[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]29834[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]29835[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]29836[/ATTACH]

Each issue would feature a bit of a collage section showcasing entries from the gfx competions

example:

[ATTACH=full]29837[/ATTACH]

And there was always an ongoing story with one chapter published each issue (at least one story, quite often two would be running at the same time)

sample:

[ATTACH=full]29838[/ATTACH]

Also, I mentioned a team quiz challenge. It was actually more of a guessing game. The players got the images/questions in separate PMs and submitted their answers through those PMs. I was actually part of the junior mod team that got to play against some members in these sample pages:

[ATTACH=full]29839[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]29840[/ATTACH]

It seems there's a bit of interest in roleplay, which is why I wanted to share this next page from that forum's newspaper. Okay, so one thing I've encountered quite often in forums is some sort of roleplay "cafe" or "hotel" or whatever. It's a thread run by someone as a means for general roleplay (with members taking on the part of customers and staff). One of the general roleplay threads in this place was a candy shop. And to encourage members to partake in the roleplay, thus creating activity and contribution, the candy shop actually had an advertisement in the newspaper for valentine's

sample:

[ATTACH=full]29841[/ATTACH]

Actually, with how flashy it is, it's more of a magazine than a newspaper. But, it isn't a necessity to be so flashy. These were just some samples that I pulled up. They also usually had a section for newer movies, and a recipe submission, as well as any upcoming events, quite often artworks (submitted by members ofc) would be shown off at the end of the newspaper, there was always an interview with someone (whether it be staff or someone from the creative community).

Well, it's a nifty idea anyway. Not sure how well it would work here, but figured I'd mention it and let you all see some samples

Don't be shy about commenting on this idea- But my questions are:

-Is this something you would be interested in?

-Would you download the file if provided and read it?

-Do you think this may add more appeal to the forums?

-Would there be members able to actively be a part of this team?

-What kind of things would you like to see in this newsletter if we were to have one?

Obviously, I am also curious about @Optic 's opinion on it as well- But I just wanted to take the initiative to see what you all think or feel about it. ^_^

Once again, thanks for your help!

• Like 2
  • Friendly 1

8 answers to this question

We've actually had a newsletter before.

That being said, something, I forget what, broke.

There is currently a developer working on it last time I asked Optic several weeks ago.

• Like 2

We've actually had a newsletter before.

That being said, something, I forget what, broke.

There is currently a developer working on it last time I asked Optic several weeks ago.

Well, that's good to hear.

I suppose there's no point in me asking for everyone's input then. ^_^

No comment

(since im pretty useless at this kind of stuff xD )

Not true! I think if you'd have an idea as to what you'd like to read or see in a newsletter, then that's important to hear about. ^_^ I think gaining everyone's perspective on what they want to see is important since the members are the one who will be enjoying it. ;)

Well, that's good to hear.

I suppose there's no point in me asking for everyone's input then. ^_^

[/Quote]

I disagree.

Asking for user input is always a good thing. Somebody may have a good idea that could be implemented.

Or if if there's something you feel should be put in or taken out.

The aim is to bring old users back and keep new and current users.

• Agree 1

-Would you download the file if provided and read it?

-Do you think this may add more appeal to the forums?

as much as I like the concept and would be interested in seeing it , reading it and getting it

two things come to mind

1:- would it be smart phone friendly , and readable with out downloading or using a heap of data to do so

2:- as much as I do think it will have appeal , are you going to make it so members participate

as much as id like to help with this project work commitments will mean there will be times where ill be unreliable and these times are random in my line of work

I disagree.

Asking for user input is always a good thing. Somebody may have a good idea that could be implemented.

Or if if there's something you feel should be put in or taken out.

The aim is to bring old users back and keep new and current users.

I agree~ Which is why I am going to keep this thread going.

as much as I like the concept and would be interested in seeing it , reading it and getting it

two things come to mind

1:- would it be smart phone friendly , and readable with out downloading or using a heap of data to do so

2:- as much as I do think it will have appeal , are you going to make it so members participate

as much as id like to help with this project work commitments will mean there will be times where ill be unreliable and these times are random in my line of work

That is an interesting point to bring up. I'm not sure on the dynamics on how something like this would be released, but I can figure that for most people data would not be too much of an issue considering the majority of people who use their smart phones have wifi accessibility. In addition, not everything on the internet is phone friendly. But it is something to consider.

As far as members are concerned, I would absolutely adore the idea more if select members were the ones who contributed because this makes the newsletter so much more special. It gives people the opportunity to share their passions and intellect with the community. The only issue with this however, is that the select people on this type of team would have to have some kind of editing program - or write out what they want in the article and then send it to someone who does have accessibility to an editing program. This also lays out the idea that there would be a specific template or a set of guidelines in which to follow for laying out each specific section of the newsletter. As far as time management is concerned, it would be a monthly newsletter, so even a few minutes each day would be plenty of time considering a member may only be designated to work one section of the article. For example, let's say I assigned you to give updates on currently airing anime series - that is the one thing you'd be assigned to research and comment on. Then the next person would be given a separate topic to discuss. Therefore making it less time consuming for one person because it would be a group project. And if I were to personally assign topics to people, I'd more than likely be sure to assign a topic to a specific person because I'd feel that they would have the most knowledge on the topic at hand.

But again, these are just thoughts and ideas.

• Winner 1

Just to clarify, @Ryuji is right that we used to have an semi-automated newsletter which would generate blocks containing a list of popular threads and featured threads. The problem with that approach though was flexibility, it's quite difficult to add extra information around these generated blocks without diving deep into HTML and CSS. This made it very difficult for contributors to customise unless they were coders.

I love the idea of a personalised newsletter that @Kohloo and @Kirry raised, in order to highlight events and members in a curated way.

In terms of making the newsletter, there are online tools which can do it. MailChimp is one I used in my previous workplace for newsletters. It's very easy to use because it's drag and drop and the end result when viewed via email looks great on both mobile and desktop:

https://mailchimp.com/features/email-designer/

I think this would be the best way moving forward. :)

• Useful 2