Annoyances of modern gaming

RepentantSky

This may seem like a weird thread so some, because some of you are a bit younger than me, and you may have only been playing games since the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out, but ever since they have, there have been these little things, that sometimes become major problems, that wouldn't have existed in the past.

Despite that last bit, I don't intend to treat anyone like an idiot, so I'm going assume everyone who sees this thread has a pretty clear understanding of a time when you pretty much bought a game, put it in your system and bam, it played. Today I've been reminded of exactly how untrue that can be. This month on PSN, Just Cause 3 was made available as a free game. I've never played Just Cause, so I thought why not give it a go. Around 3PM or so, I downloaded it off of PSN, it did the initial download in less than an hour which is not bad at all, then I booted the game up, and it told me it had to install. It is now almost 3AM, I will probably being going to bed soon, and that install, is currently at 86 percent, but there's a story behind that.

So after downloading the game, and letting the install start, I saw there was a bit of the world I could explore, and I thought why not, it will give me something to do while it's getting done. About an hour of messing around later, and I see it's about 28 percent done. So my thinking is, maybe I shouldn't be messing around and I'll just do some chores and go on the computer for a bit and all that. I get back to checking it 40 minutes or so later, and it's up to about 40 percent. So I thought great, maybe I'll get to play it tonight if I leave it alone for an hour or so just to get a feel for it. Another 40 minutes goes by, and it hasn't moved at all, and it's disconnected from Square's online servers. No problem I think, I'll just start the game over and try again, and if that doesn't work, I'll restart the system, but nope, neither of those things work, it will not connect to the online network to continue installation. So I have to wait about three hours, and then it connects again. This time the install moves a little bit faster than before, but I still can't play in the little area they've given me or it slows down too much. So I leave it alone for about 50 minutes or so, this time it's about 72 percent done, but it stopped again because it disconnected from the network again. Thankfully this time it just reconnects and has been working since, but I have to keep checking it every once and a while to make sure it doesn't keep disconnecting me. Now I'm a patient person, but this g me has been installing for almost 11 hours now.

I get the internet is a more integral part of the industry these days than it's ever been, but isn't that just more of a reason to make sure it doesn't mess up this badly or take this long? I guess not. So yeah, anyways, if you have any other modern gaming issues like that, let's talk about them, because I think this is an important discussion to have.

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up playing Playstation 1 and playing old games on a computer. When i got older and got myself an xbox 360, i was surprised. Everything was so... Easy.

If there's something with mordern games that really bug me, it's just how easy everything is. Of course there's certain genre that are still kinda hard. And there are also people that refuse to make games easier. (I'm looking at you, stubborn game developers! You glorious beasts.)

But when when i boot up a new singleplayer game and play it for 20 minutes i quickly realize how it's given me 200+ health potions that i will never even use because there's no disadvantage to dying. You just respawn super close to your death location since the game gives you a checkpoint along with an autosave every 2 minutes. (huh, autosaving. Remember when that was new?)

But y'know, even if the new formula of video games kinda suck major ass sometimes, old games still exist. And i do play them for time to time. Even if it makes me painfully nostalgic. lol

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread! It's an interesting subject for sure.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1