Anohana Anime Discussion

MadaraUchiha

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai. Anime Discussion

Plot:

A dead childhood friend of an estranged group of 5 people, who were formerly friends, appears as a spirit in front of one of them, and asks for them to get together, become friends again and help her rest in peace by fulfilling her final wish. Will they find the strength to not only help Menma, but, themselves, move on?

This anime was very good. The animation, while nothing spectacular, was something of a good quality. The voice acting was good for the most part. They could have hired actual children to voice the younger roles in the flashback sequences. And, it did get time for me to get used to the voice of Menma, the dead girl. As far as dealing with trauma is concerned, for the most part, it does work in a good way. Sometimes, it gets sappy and melodramatic. It's also funny when it wants to be, which is a good thing. One great thing about this anime is that it has a satisfying ending, which is a privilege most anime don't have, particularly ones animated by A-1 pictures. I also found the protagonist to be passive. It's not him that seems to be driving events, events happen to him. I wouldn't call him a McGuffin, but, for the most part, his character wasn't compelling to me.

Overall, the anime was funny, and emotional, and entertaining, and while it does fall into slice of life cliches, it compensates them by having good characters, and somewhat good dialogues, and a great ending.

Score: 8/10.

What did you think of the anime?

Edited by Guest

I know that it's sappy, that it's whole intent to make you cry and to tug at heart strings and all that, and it manages it. I can't quite agree with an 8/10 rating though, simply because I watched the anime when it came out which was a few years ago and I thought that like most anime, it was just something I'd think about from time to time, where all my emotions would just kind of come back for a minute, and then I'd move on. With Anohana though, this has not been the case. I have looked back at it and still remember it very well, and even watching a trailer for the movie of it, got me to reconnect with it on a level that I think only the original Full Metal Alchemist has been able to do. I actually cried again just watching that trailer because of how much this anime impacted me. Perhaps it's something that people who only watched it recently can't understand, I don't know, maybe in a year or two's time you'll do the same, but for an anime to make that kind of impact on me, it has to be one of the best. If I were to rate Anohana, it would be nothing short of a 9.5/10. The only I could complain about it a little of animation quality drops for brief moments, but overall, it's simply an amazing show.

• Agree 1

I know that it's sappy, that it's whole intent to make you cry and to tug at heart strings and all that, and it manages it. I can't quite agree with an 8/10 rating though, simply because I watched the anime when it came out which was a few years ago and I thought that like most anime, it was just something I'd think about from time to time, where all my emotions would just kind of come back for a minute, and then I'd move on. With Anohana though, this has not been the case. I have looked back at it and still remember it very well, and even watching a trailer for the movie of it, got me to reconnect with it on a level that I think only the original Full Metal Alchemist has been able to do. I actually cried again just watching that trailer because of how much this anime impacted me. Perhaps it's something that people who only watched it recently can't understand, I don't know, maybe in a year or two's time you'll do the same, but for an anime to make that kind of impact on me, it has to be one of the best. If I were to rate Anohana, it would be nothing short of a 9.5/10. The only I could complain about it a little of animation quality drops for brief moments, but overall, it's simply an amazing show.

I normally don't give an anime around 9. Only if it has made some kind of an impact for me. This anime was superficial for me, sometimes, and the characters weren't always compelling to me. Particularly the MC. And, time and again, Menma reminded me that I was watching an anime. And, because I wasn't able to get into the characters, the ending wasn't as impactful for me as it was for other people. And, when I look back, it was a pretty good slice of life anime with an ending that had a good emotional pay-off. Nothing more than that.

I don't if I can agree with idea of hardly ever giving an anime a rating of a 9. That sounds to me personally like either something is either being held in to high of a regard for anything to reach, or you are simply taking the medium too seriously and not allowing yourself to enjoy it enough. We are certainly allowed our difference of opinion though, so Ill leave it at that. That said, I don't see how you couldn't connect with these characters enough to see where I'm coming from even a bit, but again, maybe in a few years time, you will. Point is, I guess you and I will never see eye to eye on this show, and that's fine.

I don't if I can agree with idea of hardly ever giving an anime a rating of a 9. That sounds to me personally like either something is either being held in to high of a regard for anything to reach, or you are simply taking the medium too seriously and not allowing yourself to enjoy it enough. We are certainly allowed our difference of opinion though, so Ill leave it at that. That said, I don't see how you couldn't connect with these characters enough to see where I'm coming from even a bit, but again, maybe in a few years time, you will. Point is, I guess you and I will never see eye to eye on this show, and that's fine.

Not hardly. I do give anime a score of 9 or above. Just ones that have left a deep impact on me. And, I don't think I'll do the same in a few years time, because the only character I can remember right now is Menma, and that's because her name was called out constantly by everyone, over and over again. And, that itself is a character whom I found to be superficial and somewhat annoying, and it took some time for me to get used to her. So, yeah, we'll never see eye to eye on this.

• Geano locked this topic