Any Dragon Quest fans here?

clarkealux

I am aware that the Final Fantasy series is much more popular in the west than Dragon Quest (or Dragon Warrior) probably ever was. Just wondering if some of you out there also enjoy the Dragon Quest series as much as I do. <3 I truly love the gameplay, the storytelling, the characters,.. Everything feels just so wonderfully old-school which is why I can't help but love the series to death <3 maybe it's just my personal taste in old-school gaming xD

I'd be interested to see if any of you like the Dragon Quest series and if so: why and what's your favorite title?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I remember playing dragon quest when I was younger and liking it kind of. I had the original re make for the game boy color I believe. I admit I was more into final fantasy back then and chrono trigger.

Didn't they make a dragon quest anime as well?

@Wodahs Thanks! Looking forward to having a great time around here!

@mechaBD Chrono Trigger is an amazing game as well. They really don't make'em like this anymore now do they... and yes I believe there were two spin-off anime for Dragon Quest. The other one being: https://myanimelist.net/anime/2819/Dragon_Quest__Abel_Yuusha_Densetsu

According to that page the anime is supposedly based on Dragon Quest III, however the protagonist reminds me more of the one from V. (which is btw the game that got me into the DQ series, highly recommend it)

Fascinating how much hype the game series gets in Japan compared to the west. I really wonder why...

I've never watched the anime that Dragon Quest has, but I am a huge fan of the games. I've played every main entry game since IV, save and X obviously because I don't live in Japan, and I went back and played II and III. I'm also a big fan of the spin-off games like Dragon Quest Heroes and such. My top 5 favorite RPG franchises are Persona, Tales of, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and oddly, Hyperdiemension games.

IV is one of the best entries in the series imo! Good game to start the franchise. I haven't played one bad game from the series, really. And the music is way too underrated. Kouichi Sugiyama is a great composer and I believe he has done the music for every title so far. That's what I like about Dragon Quest: every game just feels so familiar. I hope they keep it that way for XI as well...

With Final Fantasy, I really do not like the direction they're taking right now.

• Agree 1

I agree with almost all of that. I do like FFXV, though it's not my favorite. As for IX, I'm just waiting for a confirmation of its release as it seems pretty unlikely that it won't be coming to the West, and I'd like to know to if it's worth getting the 3DS and home console version, or just one or the other. As for it's composing, it's amazing isn't it? There are few games series that try and pull off a continued feeling of familiarity like Dragon Quest does, and even fewer who do it so well. Even the spin-off titles still make you feel like you're in a familiar place, and it's largely down to the graphic style, but mostly down to the music. It's also great that a game franchise that clearly takes place in European setting decided to use proper accents instead of just ignoring them. The setting for Dragon Quest games is one of the best that you can ask for.

I haven't played FFXV yet, is it worth it? The gameplay just seemed so off to me and I heard the story is not well told either from multiple sources. Which might be a letdown for me, since the FF series is KNOWN for usually having a great story, and not having that in a newer entry to the series is really off-putting. At least for me personally. Compared to FF, the setting in DQ hardly ever really changes, but I don't mind that at all, when the rest of the game is brilliant. Also the monster design is the best I've ever seen in a J-RPG. Definitely Akira Toriyama at his best! And yeah, I also liked the idea of using proper European accents. Love how the translation did that.

I really want DQXI to be released in the West, and from what I've seen in the trailers, it looks absolutely fantastic.

Those people complaining about modern day J-RPGs not having a turn-based battle system anymore, should switch over to DQ :P

I highly doubt they would ever change the battle system in DQ, otherwise the Japanese fanbase would be seriously pissed about that lol.

See, I like FFXV like I said before, but there's partly due to my general outlook on life, which is don't be cynical about everything, and stop looking for every flaw yuou can find. When something truly bad comes out, make sure everyone understands why, but FFXV takes 4 characters and makes them very interesting, even if there are obvious cut out parts in the middle of it for the character driven DLC. So yeah, it feels a little rushed, and it's not perfect, but I enjoyed it enough because I liked the characters and the darker tone that came with it. Also, since I haven't beaten it with my new game + yet, there are certain parts of the story that were added that I haven't seen which came with that update, so it might even be better than it was the first time around, I honestly don't know. Either way, I enjoyed it enough to actually get caught up in it's combat, it's open world, and it's characters. It's by no means the best story in Final Fantasy history, but it's enough to keep you invested, and that's good enough for me.

• Informative 1

Ok, interesting. Maybe I'll check it out one day. I also played through FFXIII and while it wasn't the best of the FF series, I didn't hate it like the rest of the fanbase did. It's just not on par with classics like IV, VI or IX. The combat in XV reminded me too much of the one in KH. I'm not sure what to think about that and how well this kind of combat fits within the FF franchise. Or maybe I'm just too old-fashioned haha.

I feel like Square Enix does a fantastic job with the DQ series, but with FF they're kinda slacking. But that's just my opinion.