Do you like the changed Chatbox?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the changed Chatbox?

• It makes no difference to me
    • Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Question

Can I be honest, I don't like the way it's set up now. Having it constantly at the bottom of the screen, only having one line of it within sight unless you click on it and it ends up in the way, is kind of annoying. I would rather have the whole chat disappear than have it constantly at the bottom of my screen or be forced to have it take up a large portion of screen. I mean really, if I bring it up while making a thread, the first bit of text I can see are the similar threads, so it feels like it's intruding in the normal forum space. I also don't like the look of a big empty blank spot where the chatbox used to be, it makes the format of the forum look less professional. If there's a way to turn it off great, I'll look into do that, but as it is, I honestly detest it.

However, my opinion is not the end all be all obviously so, what do you all think. I'm making a poll for this thread so we can all vote on it because while I may not like it, the rest of you may love it and that's fine.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

7 answers to this question

@RepentantSky

You can set how you'd like the chat box to be displayed under its settings button - use the display mode pull-down.

Screenshot_4.png.716f86e36f0b20a5fe88ddb459d6cdea.png

I also don't like the look of a big empty blank spot where the chatbox used to be, it makes the format of the forum look less professional.

It does look a little odd right now, I will admit - though I think it should be possible to find something to fill that space. :)

• Winner 1

Hi @RepentantSky, thanks for your feedback.

At this point the default chat position appearing on all pages is likely stay as it has helped improved activity overall.

I am aware though that it does take up space, particularly for users with smaller smartphones (due to having less screen resolution)

I am looking into possibly reducing the font-size of the bar to help make it less intrusive - as @zoop has mentioned you can definitely overeride it to restore the previous behaviour.

I also don't like the look of a big empty blank spot where the chatbox used to be, it makes the format of the forum look less professional.

This is tricky, as if I reduce the sidebar widgets then it will also look strange for those that prefer to have the chat box in the previous position. I was experimenting with making the sidebar sticky (so you will never have a gap) but this proved to be buggy on mobile devices. It's something I'm still looking into...

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

@Optic

"I am aware though that it does take up space, particularly for users with smaller smartphones (due to having less screen resolution)"

Actually, i have a large phone with HD resolution and it's just plain annoying, takes up a good amount ofnthe page and blocks the log out button since it's always floating at the front layer. So I have to click "View Archive" Everytime i want to log out so it makes the chat large and stops blocking the logout button.

@Renee, I meant larger phones with larger resolutions, not just HD... to give me more context what make and model are you using, and can you take a screenshot and attach it here?

I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus and this is how it looks for me:

IMG_3119.thumb.PNG.83df98e45e5f012662a248adc74beb15.PNG

Of course everyone has different sizes and personal preferences - so for some it takes up a big chunk, for others it's not intrusive.

IMG_3118.thumb.PNG.d9e39693e7e3c695943f803a631b5bbf.PNG

Edited by Guest

@Renee, I meant larger phones with larger resolutions, not just HD... to give me more context what make and model are you using, and can you take a screenshot and attach it here?

I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus and this is how it looks for me:

[ATTACH]32604[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32605[/ATTACH]

Of course everyone has different sizes and personal preferences - so for some it takes up a big chunk, for others it's not intrusive.

I use A Huawei P8 on Android. About 5.2 "

19780394_410638959337247_7977608366697778004_o.thumb.jpg.1ba2ce8c61f98025316e51b841886457.jpg as you can see the log out button is inaccessible

Edited by Guest

OK thanks, on the new theme I removed most of the options there which I will mirror on the older themes later.

For now you should just adjust your Chat display position as per the screenshot @zoop posted above to revert it back to the previous behaviour so it doesn't display on all pages.

OK thanks, on the new theme I removed most of the options there which I will mirror on the older themes later.

For now you should just adjust your Chat display position as per the screenshot @zoop posted above to revert it back to the previous behaviour so it doesn't display on all pages.

Alright! Thanks