Childhood TV Shows

Orius

We all have our favorite cartoons and TV shows of the past, whether it is The Powerpuff Girls, Hey Arnold, The Brothers Garcia, The Amanda Show, or just your average Spongebob episodes. What are some of your favorites? List them here.

The Powerpuff Girls

Created by Craig McCracken as a parody of superheroes, The Powerpuff Girls is about three little girls with ultra superpowers, saving the world before bedtime. The charm of this seemingly childish cartoon is that it was filled with a lot of adult humor (albeit subtle ones) that would go over the children's heads. The jokes are witty and clever, satirizing many subjects, and not just superhero-related ones either. This cartoon easily became my favorite cartoon of all time. My favorite Powerpuff is Buttercup, the tough and strong tomboy with middle-child syndrome. I feel Buttercup doesn't get as much love as the other two girls, but that's for another time.

Unfortunately, the reboot has none of the original's charm, settling for cheap Internet memes instead. Ugh.

Kim Possible

Next to PPG, Kim Possible was my go-to cartoon on Saturday mornings. Much like PPG, it also has a lot of witty writing and dialogue, not to mention solid character writing that made the show entertaining for kids and adults alike. Unlike PPG, I've seen every season of this show, including the TV movie, "So The Drama". Kim's catchphrases were my own. That beep on her Kimmunicator was my ringtone. It wasn't just a show for little girls, it seems, and I had so much fun watching it till the end. Such a shame it ended when it did. I wouldn't mind watching this forever.

IT'S TIME FOR A REBOOT, DISNEY!

Lizzie McGuire

Another childhood show I was obsessed with till the point where I watched the movie in cinemas, but admittedly, this one dated much more than the two aforementioned shows. I still don't mind looking up some of the scenes on YouTube today, but the jokes and dialogue do feel a bit more cringey than before. Nevertheless, it was still one of my favorites, and it was a sweet romance show for kids my age back then. Gordo and Lizzie were so cute together. I also miss Miranda too, even today. :(

And while the movie has definitely dated, I still remember how much fun I had watching it back then. It's one of those special movies where only fans of the TV series would enjoy (or even pay good money for it in the first place), so I kinda felt like a special snowflake. :P The music was also nice, and I even once made an AMV using Hilary Duff's "Why Not".

As Told By Ginger

Even as a kid, it seems that most of my favorites consist of drama and well-written characters. "As Told By Ginger" is definitely such a show, and I think it belongs to those that haven't dated today. I could still imagine myself watching it as an adult, especially when it sometimes deals with really heavy subjects that are surprisingly not kid-friendly; parental divorce is one of such subjects.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

C'mon! You didn't really expect me to talk about childhood TV shows while leaving out this classic, did you? I was a Power Rangers kid (my favorite was Jason, before Tommy came along of course), and I remember watching it till they headed to space, which was when things got a bit too wonky for my taste. I like my shows grounded, and I never really liked shows set in space, so that's my cut-off point for the franchise, for better or worse.

That said, when I got older, I did return to the series for a while, albeit for a single season (Power Rangers In Space)... and then I dropped it again when "Lost Galaxy" got even weirder than before, even though a lot of PR fans claimed it to be the best season with the best writing.

But, in spite of not following the franchise anymore, I still love the opening themes, especially "Lightspeed Rescue", my favorite PR theme.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Let's see. My favorites from my childhood were the following:

Johnny Bravo

Dexter's Laboratory

Scooby Dao

and that about all of ones that I remember the names of. Of course, Cartoon Network and a few other kids' networks were at least decent back then.

• Like 2

and that about all of ones that I remember the names of. Of course, Cartoon Network and a few other kids' networks were at least decent back then.

I know, right? It's probably just nostalgia talking, but man, Cartoon Network just isn't the same.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I know, right? It's probably just nostalgia talking, but man, Cartoon Network just isn't the same.

So true. I think the last things I remember seeing on Cartoon Network that was good and/or decent were:

Samurai Jack

Code Lyoko

Adult Swim (when they were much more friendly to anime in the early days)

This must be what our parents and grandparents were thinking when they saw what we watched.

• Agree 1

Yeah, it did, and people were outraged because the ending was rushed and was very unsatisfying.

When you build up that kind of hype, it's really not that surprising. It's been so many years since the last season of that cartoon. Same with PPG; even if they didn't screw it up so royally bad, it would've been disappointing too, I'd imagine.

• Agree 1

When you build up that kind of hype, it's really not that surprising. It's been so many years since the last season of that cartoon. Same with PPG; even if they didn't screw it up so royally bad, it would've been disappointing too, I'd imagine.

That's true.

Of course, that is bound to happen when you live in a society that believes optimism will make you succeed, when optimists die quite soon after pessimists.

• Like 1

Oh God, let's see... shows from my childhood... :blush:

I didn't generally follow many shows, and instead tended to spend my time doing other things, or just watching whatever was on at the time. With that said, in no particular order...

Clarissa Explains It All

What can I even say about this? I thought the lead character was cute as fuck. <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kpEmQ6Xcg

Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R2vFDIBToI

I totally had a crush on Princess Sally, and that one half-robot-bunny-girl-thing. <3

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qTrgCWpLlM

Baby's first horror anthology.

The Secret World of Alex Mack

I don't even know why I watched this. I'd forgotten that I'd watched this. I almost wish I hadn't remembered. @_@

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvFA-2Wkd2s

... as you can see, I wasn't a huge cartoon person when I was a kid. :?

• Like 2

Oooo, this is a good topic! I actually watched hundreds of things when I was a kid, so I'll just put the three most important ones here, actually.

Both @zoop and I loved this show, hahaha. What can I say? It was adorable and funny, and the characters were cute.

Twilight Zone

I learned everything that there was to know about horror from this show, lol.

The Bugs Bunny Show

And THIS is where I got my twisted, sick view of the world and a corresponding sense of humor.

G1 Transformers

THIS SHOW WAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST SHIT! OMG, OPTIMUS PRIME!

Fuck all of the new cartoons and movies. NOTHING was better than this.

Also, Soundwave was my bae.

[MEDIA=vimeo]79585458[/MEDIA]

Swat Kats

This show... At the time that it came out.... It was utterly ridiculous.

Also, cute furry characters...

Batman: The Animated Series

I was always a Batman girl, okay. I didn't have time for any other Marvel or DC heroes until much later in life. Why? Well, because they didn't have shows that were this good.

Rescue Rangers

HEhehe.... More cute furries. ^^;

The Real Ghostbusters

Best intro song, amazing VAs, glorious plots... It was TOP TIER!

Ducktales

Basically one of the greatest cartoons ever made.

Ummmm... I'm getting carried away... Hahah, I should stop now. xD

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

wilight Zone

I maybe should have added this to my list, but I didn't get into it until I was around 14, at which point I watched it whenever I could.

Rescue Rangers

Was this the one with the cute mechanic?

I was always a Batman girl, okay. I didn't have time for any other Marvel or DC heroes until much later in life. Why? Well, because they didn't have shows that were this good.

Cy~ introduced me to this recently, and omg I love it. <3

• Like 1

Oooo, this is a good topic! I actually watched hundreds of things when I was a kid, so I'll just put the three most important ones here, actually.

Both @zoop and I loved this show, hahaha. What can I say? It was adorable and funny, and the characters were cute.

Twilight Zone

The Bugs Bunny Show

And THIS is where I got my twisted, sick view of the world and a corresponding sense of humor.

G1 Transformers

THIS SHOW WAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST s***! OMG, OPTIMUS PRIME!

f**** all of the new cartoons and movies. NOTHING was better than this.

Also, Soundwave was my bae.

[MEDIA=vimeo]79585458[/MEDIA]

Swat Kats

This show... At the time that it came out.... It was utterly ridiculous.

Also, cute furry characters...

Rescue Rangers

The Real Ghostbusters

Ducktales

Ummmm... I'm getting carried away... Hahah, I should stop now. xD

Nice list, I remember a lot of these, but I do not remember how old I was when I saw them.

• Like 2

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Baby's first horror anthology.

The opening used to scare the bajeebus outta me. I wouldn't dare watch it at night with the lights turned off... It's still the best horror show for kids though, more so than... ugh, Goosebumps. They should be making a "Are You Afraid of the Dark" movie instead.

Cy~ mentioned quite a number of shows that I liked so I'll try to address each of them:

Twilight Zone

I remember only watching the '90s version (or the 2000 version?), which still crept the hell outta me. I remember it influencing me to seek out a similar show in later years, Tales of the Crypt:

I just simply love horror stories, and TotC's morbid dark comedy was tons of fun, dealing with disturbing subjects in many interesting and horrifying ways.

G1 Transformers

THIS SHOW WAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST s***! OMG, OPTIMUS PRIME!

f**** all of the new cartoons and movies. NOTHING was better than this.

To be fair, I only started watching the Transformers cartoon after seeing the first of Michael Bay's atrocious adaptations (which was a pretty decent popcorn flick, you have to admit), if only to compare which was better. Naturally, I fell in love with the cartoon after that. I didn't grow up with the cartoons like the older generations did, but I'm one of the fortunate people who could still love these older cartoons rather than dismissing them as dated.

I also love the movie. It was so emotional. You've got the touch! You've got the power!

This song was definitely one of the things that defined the geek zeitgeist in the '80s.

For better or worse, I didn't grow up with Batman. lol I know it's an amazing show, but I just never got exposed to the animated series. Instead, I got lumped with Spider-Man, of which TAS wasn't as good, even though it introduced me to my favorite superhero of all time, a fact which I'm still thankful for.

I also love Christopher Daniel Barnes as Spidey, and he's the only Spider-Man for me (much like how Kevin Conroy is THE Batman for many). I was so glad when he decided to reprise his role in the later years. He was so good as Spider-Man Noir that I want to watch a full-length animated movie starring him in the Marvel Noir universe!

Of course, the much better "Spectacular Spider-Man" starring Josh Keaton would come to be defined as the best Spider-Man animated series of all time, but I still like my TAS due to nostalgia reasons. lol Josh's lines are funnier, but I prefer Chris' more serious voice as an older Peter. I never really liked the idea of how Marvel kept trying to over-sell a kiddish high school Peter, when there were so many more wonderful stories in his adult years. What a waste.

Rescue Rangers

I loved that opening. I kept on singing it back then. Such a memorable earworm.

"Sometimes, some crimes

Go slipping through the cracks

But these two gumshoes

Are picking up the slack

There's no case too big

No case too small!"

Oh god, the memories.

The Real Ghostbusters

Again, lol I was a product of my time in the '90s, growing up with The Extreme Ghostbusters instead. xD

I just love that guitar riff! It's so badass and got me doing air guitar everytime! I love the way he sings, "Ghostbustersssss". God, so badass.

Where's my Extreme Ghostbusters movie?! This should've been the proper reboot! Jeez, Hollywood! Get it together!

Ducktales

And also one of the most memorable childhood songs, ever. No '80s or even '90s kids could ever NOT remember this. It's like your obligatory nursery rhyme. Duck tales! WOO WOO! Everyday they're out there making DUCK TALES! WOO WOO!

Since you mentioned Duck Tales, I feel like I should make an exception and mention a childhood movie I love...

Powerline from A Goofy Movie was one of my favorite artists of all time. I don't care if he's fictional! lol "Stand Out" was so much fun to sing. It's my favorite jam as a kid, and you wouldn't catch me not dancing to this whenever it comes on.

• Like 1

I just simply love horror stories, and TotC's morbid dark comedy was tons of fun, dealing with disturbing subjects in many interesting and horrifying ways.

Hahaha, I actually loved Tales of the Crypt as well. I actually used to wake up in the middle of the night, drag the TV from the living room into my bedroom, and turn the volume low to watch it. Mom had banned me from watching it, but I didn't care. I just watched it anyway. I was never caught! :D

I also love the movie. It was so emotional. You've got the touch! You've got the power!

Oh god, yes! I loved the movie as well, hahaha. I've watched it over twenty times, I think. xD

Again, lol I was a product of my time in the '90s, growing up with The Extreme Ghostbusters instead. xD

Oh shit, I loved that show a LOT! The clown episode freaked me out, hahaha. :D

Actually, I was going to put The Extreme Ghostbusters into my list, but I ran out of space. ; _ ;

• Like 2

The opening used to scare the bajeebus outta me. I wouldn't dare watch it at night with the lights turned off... It's still the best horror show for kids though, more so than... ugh, Goosebumps. They should be making a "Are You Afraid of the Dark" movie instead.

I know, right??? They had some surprisingly good stuff, considering that it was a low budget children's show, basically. :D

As for Goosebumps... I was totally a fan of those books... but I agree, they should've done a movie for this one. Or a reboot, or something.

I never saw much of this, but I did watch a bit of some other old, low budget, generally bad horror anthologies: Night Gallery, and Tales from the Dark Side. :o

• Like 2

What the heck, I'll list some more favorites:

Disney's Recess

When you're young and with cable, you would generally head in three directions: Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, or Disney Channel. I belonged to the latter for some reason (as opposed to those two more popular channels), but I don't have any regrets since I get to watch shows like this. Spinelli was my favorite and would come to define my love for tomboys for a long time to come.

Teen Titans

Let's be honest, Teen Titans was a badass show comparable to the likes of Batman: TAS. Compared to your more kid-friendly shows, TT had a lot of heavy drama mixed in with its Japanese art style and slapstick. Slade in particular had such a mature storyline that I was surprised they'd air it for kids, but I'm glad it did. The wisecracking Beast Boy was my favorite Titan (I even drew a fan-made chimera superhero inspired by him), and him and Terra were so cute together. It's a shame how their relationship ended... sigh. I shed a lot of tears at the end of Terra's arc.

Today, kids would be asking why Teen Titans isn't a straight-up comedy like the reboot version of the show. I hope they don't get in my way, 'coz that would turn me into a straight-up bully... :naughty:

Phineas and Ferb

Fun fact: Phineas and Ferb was (one of) the last animated series I would watch before I moved on to anime, and possibly away from television shows altogether. Nevertheless, I had many good memories with this show, and this Bowling For Soup opening theme was also one of my most sing-along songs as a teenager. I remember that some of my favorite songs came from the song, including

. S***, now that song is stuck in my head. Can't help singing along...

Despite being the last of the cartoons I would watch, Phineas and Ferb was surprisingly clever. A lot of its comedy can only be understood by older audiences.

!

Walter Melon

A lot of people probably won't even know this existed, but I feel I should make an honorable mention of this show regardless. I remember loving this one a lot because it would make a parody of whichever popular show there were at the time, whether it's Terminator 2 or Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, or even older shows like Star Wars and the She-Hulk cartoon, there seemed to be no restriction for this whacky comedy, providing tons of fun for a '90s kid.

Last but not least...

Codename: Kids Next Door

This is the stuff Cartoon Network was made of, classic and iconic cartoons people will remember for years to come. Even though it cannot compare to the likes of Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo, at the time it was made, Cartoon Network still retained that sense of novelty in terms of creative storytelling. KND was not only clever and fun, it felt new and fresh. Kids trying to usurp adults in a James Bond-ish spy adventure? What a genius idea, and I loved it. Of course, the cool as ice Numbuh 5 was my favorite KND agent. I love how you almost never get to see her eyes, constantly obscured by that mysterious red hat. Terrific character design.

Slamdunk - This anime was dubbed on our language. I can't explain how we love this anime as kids. Everything was just so lovable.

Danny Phantom - An epic cartoon.

Chalkzone - Another epic cartoon. And the opening song makes me sing anytime.

Naruto - Classic Naruto dubbed on our language. "Kage bunshin technique times two times two times two!"

• Like 2

Chalkzone - Another epic cartoon. And the opening song makes me sing anytime.

Oh yeah, me too.

ChalkZone

"Rudy's got the chalk!" Such a badass melody, that guitar riff, matched with such a seemingly silly cartoon about a chalk. lol

Speaking of American dubs of anime, this one's my favorite:

Dragon Ball Z

DRAGON DRAGON! ROCK THE DRAGON! Hah, never gets old. Also...

One Piece

Rapping gangsta pirates ftw.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

I can only remember one thing about this opening: "It's time to du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-duel!" xD

And of course, we can't forget about good ol' Pokemon, specifically my favorite opening:

Pokemon: Advanced Challenge

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

I will just say all of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network in the 90's and very early 2000's. That's about it for my childhood TV shows, that of course don't include Anime.

Edited by Guest