Clannad - General Discussion

Pokii

7vqUoev.jpg.5ad575cc11e9d8c1f15a1400fbd04cef.jpg

I'm very surprised that no one didn't even had a thread of this anime. :(

Anyways, for the benefit that people haven't watch this anime or haven't finished this anime, please use the spoiler tags for plot twists, or anything related to the plot, the ending, etc.

This is a discussion thread for Clannad AND Clannad: After Story. : )

Questions

If you're still watching it (Clannad or Clannad After Story): How are you finding it so far (or your thoughts of this anime so far)?

If you finished it (one of them or both): how did you find it?

I'll edit this post later for my thoughts since I already finished both seasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Clannad was a really good anime. I'm rewatching After Story now, and found that the only arc I didn't like was

With that library girl and how she and her gang were covering up her brother's death

I think that if After Story was 12 episodes like Refrain was, it would have been much better.

@Optic: Angel Beats has a different producer than Clannad. Also, Clannad will have a different feel than Angel Beats as it was adapted from a VN where Angel Beats is an anime that will be getting a VN adaption.

• Informative 1

@Optic: Angel Beats has a different producer than Clannad. Also, Clannad will have a different feel than Angel Beats as it was adapted from a VN where Angel Beats is an anime that will be getting a VN adaption.

Ah I see. Well I've ordered both Clannad and Clannad After Story it from Amazon and should arrive next week, I keep seeing this title come up from time to time and it seems a lot of people highly recommended so I'm looking forward to seeing it!

I thought they both were animated from KEY but I was off so yeah sorry for misinformation.

You really weren't that off, @Pokii. The manga and light novel were both written by staff at Key, so they are both Key works. Key is not big enough to be an animation company though. Otherwise we would have a Rewrite anime adaption by now. (Too bad we dont :'()

Watched the first four episodes so far, am enjoying it so far. ^_^ Though not sure where the story is quite going at this stage.

One thing interestingly I noticed though is the eyes of the main characters. Other than being really really big, they seem to have a tinge of sadness to them?

One thing interestingly I noticed though is the eyes of the main characters. Other than being really really big, they seem to have a tinge of sadness to them?

Woah! I didn't realize you could just select text and then reply that way, this is cool! :D

Anyway, with the tinge of sadness, there really is nothing behind it as far as I know. Especially since I've watched the first season twice and didn't notice that at all. I even rewatched part of the first episode and still don't see sad eyes. However, whenever I watch Clannad for now on, I probably won't be able to get that out of my mind. xD Also, I'm not sure if their eyes are that big... Maybe you're just overly observant @Optic. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Woah! I didn't realize you could just select text and then reply that way, this is cool! :D

Yeah, it's super convenient isn't it? ^_^

I even rewatched part of the first episode and still don't see sad eyes.

I'm up to episode 7 now. I think the sad eyes feeling I got was whenever Nagisa Furukawa was crying for Fuko Ibuki's sake. I still think the eye size of the main Clannad female characters are overly large (not a bad thing), just different style from what I'm used to I guess. I actually had the same feeling from Angel Beats with Yuri Nakamura - her green eyes were very large and mesmerising so that was my benchmark. xD

---

Up to episode 11 and finished Fuko Ibuki's story after the wedding event. So touching, will create a gallery of her now. :'(

I'm hoping she makes another appearance (of course @drill you probably already know having watched it xD) later in the series.

---

Finally finished Clannad and looking forward to seeing After Story later down the track. Tomoya and Nagisa though are such a reluctant couple. xD I'm sure After Story builds on their relationship heavily.

[spoiler=Episode 22]

Nagisa's emotional turmoil after unexpectedly discovering her parents successful career past was something I definitely wasn't expecting. Well of course we knew it would affect her but I didn't expect her to discover it shortly after Tomoya learned about it from Nagisa's father.

It was touching see the rest of the group encourage her to continue on during the play, especially from her parents too.

clannad-ep-22.thumb.jpg.731cbce74e66683caeb60155ce926da4.jpg

[spoiler=OVA]

The OVA episode featuring an alternative timeline where Tomoya and Tomoyo are dating was really interesting. Their relationship deteriorated due to Tomoyo's strong resolve towards her academic and student council achievements, but in the end the two got back together, much to Tomoyo's insistence after not seeing each other for months.

Tomoyo's personality in this one seemed to be similar compared to the normal timeline. Tomoya on the other hand felt different. In a way I found it refreshing as we normally see Tomoya teasing Nagisa a lot and generally be laidback.

In this timeline we see Tomoya having to actually work hard to improve himself.

clannad-ova-tomoya-tomoyo.thumb.jpg.445c278fa6f2ba4669210dcbfd0ae8c8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
Is Clannad a good anime to start on since I'm new, and Where can I watch it?

Thanks,

Nathan

Clannad is an EXCELLENT anime to start with. Just be sure that when you get to season 2 (After Story) you have a few boxes of Kleenex handy cause you'll need them. It's really wonderful!

Clannad is an EXCELLENT anime to start with. Just be sure that when you get to season 2 (After Story) you have a few boxes of Kleenex handy cause you'll need them. It's really wonderful!

Thanks, I just finished an anime so I was trying to find something to watch. Thanks for the help, I will make sure to grab those tissues. Also can I watch it on crunchy roll free and just have adds or do I have to buy the premium version?

Thanks a Bunch,

Nathan

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
Also can I watch it on crunchy roll free and just have adds or do I have to buy the premium version?

I had a look, neither Crunchroll nor FUNimation have Clannad due to licensing...

Anime Network does but you need a $7 USD month subscription:

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Watch-Anime/Clannad

Hulu also has it but again subscription needed too:

http://www.hulu.com/clannad

I personally took the plunge and bought the Blu-Ray sets for both Clannad and After Story from Amazon and would highly recommend it ... otherwise if you can't afford it then you may need to go through unofficial channels. >_<

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Clannad is just awesome... :D

... I think that if After Story was 12 episodes like Refrain was, it would have been much better.

I don't think that it's necessarily the case, maybe during first time you're watching it but once you complete it and eventually re-watch it, you're glad there's all that extra content. More of Clannad is only a good thing. :)

Although I feel that those first few episodes of first part, even before Fuko's Arc were kinda unnecessary, nothing really happened in them and all the things that did happen could have easily been implemented into Fuko's Arc IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Geano locked this topic