Did you know's

RepentantSky

I always liked facts about gaming related things, and I know a decent amount of facts about games so I thought it would be fun to if we had a thread about it here. I'll open up with a few facts. You can do the "Did you know" bit if you want of course.

Did you know, the Original Dark Cloud game had a weapon called a 5 Foot Nail. This is because some of the translation team were fans of the band Nine Inch Nails. However, like the band, who's never revealed what the name might mean making it appear as though it makes less sense, the weapon's name makes no sense, as the character who uses it easily stands over 5 feet tall, and the weapon is about as tall as he is.

Voice actors in Atlus games often end up with more than one roll, at least in English translations. Laura Bailey for example, voiced Katherine in the game called Katherine, but also voiced Rize in persona 4 and persona 4 golden, as well as a character named Nozomi in Shin Megami Tensei IV. Johnny Young Bosch ended up voicing both the main protagonist and one of the main antagonists in Persona 4, and Yuri Lowenthal played the protagonist in Persona 3, and Yosuke Hanamura in Persona 4, and both played some minor background characters in Persona 3 and 4. Normally, this wouldn't have been an issue because Atlus' main characters in Persona titles tend not to speak. However it came back to bite them on two separate occasions as there were animations to be voiced in English so Johnny Young Bosch had to play both characters, which often led to him basically talking to himself, even during dramatic moments. When Persona Q was released, voice acting for the main protagonists also became an issue because Yuri Lowenthal had to play two characters who sounded exactly the same, and they too did speak to one another.

Karen Strassman is probably the most used voice actor in Atlus' line of titles. In Persona 3, she played a character named Aigis, who was crucial to the plot of the game, and then in Persona 4, she played Nanako Dojima, who is arguably the most famous NPC on the entire series. It only got worse when Persona 3 was ported to the PSP, as she also voiced a potential romantic interest for the protagonist named Natsume, but went unaccredited. In Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, she replaced Laura Bailey, and voiced Nozomi, but also went unaccredited for that role. Finally, she voiced a few minor characters in Persona 5, most notably, the restaurant worker for the fictional Big Bang Burger, who hands the main protagonist the burgers when he attempts to eat them, where she also went as, unaccredited. Speaking of unaccredited roles, JYB played the main character for Grandia III but also was never credited for it for unknown reasons.

Ironically, one of the few voice actors who never had a second or more role with Atlus, is Troy Baker, who voiced Vincent in Katherine. Lowenthal also played the best friend role for Vincent in Katherine, and is currently voicing Spider-man in the upcoming Insomniac game.

I have more but that will do for now. Share interesting facts you know.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Did you know that Hannibal Lecter first appears in books, before the movies were ever released.

Like most people, I was familiar with the name because of the movies, though I never saw the movies, but when I read Detective Conan Volume 19, I found out that there were indeed books.

they can be found at Amazon and a few other places.

• Like 1

Yuri Lowenthal and JYB have often switched main character roles. in the dot hack GU Trilogy, Yuri Lowenthal voiced the main character of Haseo (see my profile pic) while JYB played a more minor, sort of teacher character named Kuhn. In Persona 4, JYB played the main character Yu Narukami while Yuri voiced Yosuke Hanamura. In the Tales of Abyss for 3DS, Yuri once again voiced the main characters of Luke and Asch, while JYB voiced Guy Cecil, best friend to both characters.

Wendee Lee and Steven Blum have often also worked together, although it was rare for Wendee to play a more important role and they mostly worked on anime. Most of the time, she played romantic interest to Blum, such as in The Big O and cowboy Bebop. However, they worked on the dot hack games same as JYB and Yuri Lowenthal. In the first game, Wendee played a character called Blackrose who was almost always seen with the main character, while Steven Blum played another character called Wiseman. In the GU Trilogy, Steven Blum played two character, one named Yata, who was Wiseman from the first series of games, and another called IYOTEN, although the latter used a voice more like the one he had from S-cry-ed, while the former sounded more like Spike from Bebop.

Spyro 2 went by different names depending on what region is was released in. In Europe it was called Gateway to Glimmer, in North America, it was called Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, and in Japan, it was called Spyro X Sparks: Tondemo Tours. Spyro 2 was also the last game to make it to Japan, due to it being banned for glorifying Chinese culture, and marketing itself under it's title, "Year of the Dragon" which is of course, a reference to the Chinese Zodiac, and was an accurate one at that, as the game was released in 2000, which was in fact, a year of the dragon. What's interesting is that even though some Chinese related exports, and even some of it's people have been allowed into Japan since the ban, the game still never came to Japan's market, even when it was re-released on the PS3 as part of their PS one list of games for the system.

Edited by Guest