Favorite Tales Of?

Mars Terra

Yo. What is your favorite Tales Of game, character or whatever else you might think of?

My favorite game would be Tales Of Xillia, it has a very polished story, and although I could spend hours complaining about all the gameplay elements I would change, I still had fun all the way through.

As for characters, I liked Karol in Vesperia, probably the character that goes through the most. Pascal in Graces, very cheerful, always saying funny things and overall just a fun character. Elize in Xillia, shy characters are the most likely to be my favorite, plus she is very cute. But ironically, I hate Teepo... Since you can customize your accessories in Xillia, I did something I always wanted to do, put tiny floating whales around all the characters! Jude was Red, Milla was Yellow, Alvin was Green, Elize was Blue, Rowen was Black and Leia was Cyan, she was originally going to be White, but that didn't work very well. Together they were the Whale Rangers! Oh, if only I could show you all...

Edited by Guest

Xillia is my favorite as well. The characters are great, the combat I think is probably the best in the series until Berseria and the world is a lot of fun to explore. My favorite character is probably Jude Mathis, but my favorite cast overall is from Tales of Hearts R though. Tales of the Abyss is also really good in the regard.

Xillia is my favorite as well. The characters are great, the combat I think is probably the best in the series until Berseria and the world is a lot of fun to explore. My favorite character is probably Jude Mathis, but my favorite cast overall is from Tales of Hearts R though. Tales of the Abyss is also really good in the regard.

You actually like the cast from Hearts? Kor is an idiot, Hisui has a sis complex, and is always trying to cockblock Kor, then there's Beryl...

You actually like the cast from Hearts? Kor is an idiot, Hisui has a sis complex, and is always trying to cockblock Kor, then there's Beryl...

They all have their moments, like when Hisui stops being so protective of Kohaku and tries to get Kor to confess to her already, or for that matter when Kor finally steps up. Also Beryl is a bit annoying but she has her moment when you get to her hometown. Also, Kor is probably not even the biggest idiot in the Tales series, it's probably Luke and he's still one of the best protagonists of the series.

They all have their moments, like when Hisui stops being so protective of Kohaku and tries to get Kor to confess to her already, or for that matter when Kor finally steps up. Also Beryl is a bit annoying but she has her moment when you get to her hometown. Also, Kor is probably not even the biggest idiot in the Tales series, it's probably Luke and he's still one of the best protagonists of the series.

I didn't say anything about Kor being the biggest idiot, I just said he was one. My problem with Hearts is how most of the cast is incredibly unlikable, whereas the other games have one or two.

At least Luke has a reason to why he's an idiot, and it made sense as to why they made him incredibly annoying at first. Kor is just a love struck fool that just bumbles around, because he's only preoccupied with getting in Kohaku's pants.

I didn't say anything about Kor being the biggest idiot, I just said he was one. My problem with Hearts is how most of the cast is incredibly unlikable, whereas the other games have one or two.

At least Luke has a reason to why he's an idiot, and it made sense as to why they made him incredibly annoying at first. Kor is just a love struck fool that just bumbles around, because he's only preoccupied with getting in Kohaku's pants.

Gonna have to call bull on that. Kor is the same guy that did his best to save as many people as he could, even if they tried to kill him at one point. That was the major reason he tried to save the world along with saving Kohaku and he did the best he could to try and wait until after things were settled and everyone was safe.

Xillia is my favorite as well. The characters are great, the combat I think is probably the best in the series until Berseria and the world is a lot of fun to explore.

I haven't played Berseria, but as I've stated before, I do think that there are alot of problems with Xilla's combat. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was Graces where they introduced CC. In that game, different artes cost different amounts of CC, and the gauge refilled gradually over time. It was renamed AC in Xillia and it recharged immediately when you stopped preforming actions, not to mention all of the ways to increase your max AC if only temporarily and recover some of it.

I haven't played Berseria, but as I've stated before, I do think that there are alot of problems with Xilla's combat. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was Graces where they introduced CC. In that game, different artes cost different amounts of CC, and the gauge refilled gradually over time. It was renamed AC in Xillia and it recharged immediately when you stopped preforming actions, not to mention all of the ways to increase your max AC if only temporarily and recover some of it.

I think you're right on that, but I don't see a problem with it. the game found ways to make the combat difficult and fun, while actually given a lot of story purposes behind it other than, "do that to save town A" which is nice because there are a lot of games that didn't that around the same time, so even if the fighting wasn't perfect, the drive to fight to me at least negated most of the complaints. Fighting Alvin as Jude is one of the best story driven battles I've ever seen, and I actually thought Alvin was going to kill Leia there while she defended Jude. Regardless of the combat system, the story telling was fantastic. I still remember everyone in that game so well, and the sequel was also really good which only helps the credit of the first. Sequel's are hard to sell because of the new characters, but but old and new blended really well in Xillia 2.

I think you're right on that, but I don't see a problem with it. the game found ways to make the combat difficult and fun, while actually given a lot of story purposes behind it other than, "do that to save town A" which is nice because there are a lot of games that didn't that around the same time, so even if the fighting wasn't perfect, the drive to fight to me at least negated most of the complaints. Fighting Alvin as Jude is one of the best story driven battles I've ever seen, and I actually thought Alvin was going to kill Leia there while she defended Jude. Regardless of the combat system, the story telling was fantastic. I still remember everyone in that game so well, and the sequel was also really good which only helps the credit of the first. Sequel's are hard to sell because of the new characters, but but old and new blended really well in Xillia 2.

I agree, Xillia had a exceptional plot and I still think it is the best game, but I was trying to determine whether Graces executed it's combat better.

That depends, did Tales of Graces still use the Symphonia combat in the way that you could get trapped in a spot and not able to get around your enemies were they to surround you? I forget what the first game that stopped doing that was, but I'd say if it did then no. Any game in the Tales series where you could get cornered in what was a literal circled arena loses points in combat where I'm concerned.

That depends, did Tales of Graces still use the Symphonia combat in the way that you could get trapped in a spot and not able to get around your enemies were they to surround you? I forget what the first game that stopped doing that was, but I'd say if it did then no. Any game in the Tales series where you could get cornered in what was a literal circled arena loses points in combat where I'm concerned.

They introduced free running in The Abyss, but Graces made it so dodging was the only way to move freely, forward, backward and sideway.

The only thing that could prevent free move was being afflicted with slow, but even then, aliments usually went away quickly.

I'd say the main flaw with the combat was the eleth gauge.

The better you do, the more your overlimit gauge fills. But the worst you do, then the more the enemies' gauge will fill. There was no way to control when either would activate either.

They introduced free running in The Abyss, but Graces made it so dodging was the only way to move freely, forward, backward and sideway.

The only thing that could prevent free move was being afflicted with slow, but even then, aliments usually went away quickly.

I'd say the main flaw with the combat was the eleth gauge.

The better you do, the more your overlimit gauge fills. But the worst you do, then the more the enemies' gauge will fill. There was no way to control when either would activate either.

With that in mind, combat was for sure not great then. Any game that hampers movement in a 3D space, which should be easy enough if you can walk or run to any place outside of it, is not great. The story on any game that does that can be great, Symphonia is proof of that, but I just, almost lost interesting the series over that kind of a set-up.

It wasn't a big problem for the most part. But if all your teammates die, then enemies are all going to come at you none stop, so it can be hard to get out of situations like that. Then again, if you let all your teammates die, isn't that kind of your own fault?

• 3 weeks later...

I tended to stay away from the Tales games, for no other reason than that they seemed to be not my kind of thing.

With THAT said, I fell in love with Tales of Beseria from the moment I saw it. Velvet Crowe is my spirit animal. (o^.^o)

• Like 1

After Zestiria made me want to claw my eyes out and never play another game in the franchise again, EVER, Berseria turned out to be the best Tales game I've played in years. It had a solid cast, an actual PLOT, a gameplay system that wasn't a complete mess that had me getting stuck on walls or grinding for hours just to upgrade my weapon once, and the voice acting was pretty solid, too. It even did the impossible - it improved my opinion on Zestiria's utterly terrible excuse for a story.

...but I'm not sure it edges out over Symphonia for me, though. I don't really subscribe to the idea that the first game you play in a series will always be your favourite, but Symphonia was my favourite game for years. It took Xenoblade Chronicles to topple it from that spot. Even playing it on PS3 didn't diminish the experience for me, and that usually happens when I replay games years later. Tales games usually follow a fairly predictable pattern in the story, and have a tropetastic cast of characters, and Symphonia is no different in this regard, but even so, I loved the plot and the gameplay; it was totally different from anything I'd experienced up to that point and it still holds up really well. The music was especially memorable, too. The problem with Sakuraba is, good as he is, he recycles things; it's very hard to distinguish between the OST of one Tales game and the next (although Go Shiina did an INCREDIBLE job with the four temple themes in Zestiria) but Symphonia's OST is something else, in my opinion.

• Like 3

My favorite is Tales of Zestiria I do love the characters in the game but I do agree with some of you with the story. The story could have been stronger. I do love the battle system in that game though. Then Tales of Berseria come along and omg... I loved the battle system! It made me want to fight more monsters because of the battling system itself and the story was good.

• Like 1