Favourite magical girl anime titles?

Optic

Favourite magical girl anime title?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite magical girl anime title?

• Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    • Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
    • Yuki Yuna is a Hero
    • Cardcaptor Sakura
    • Other (let me know so I can add it to the poll)
    • Smile Precure!
    • Sailor Moon

Friendship. Despair. Cute and elegant costumes. Familiars. Apocalyptic magical attacks that make nuclear weapons look like child's play. Who doesn't like a good magical girl title every now and then? :D

When it comes down to it though, there are lots of magical girl anime titles out there. So which ones are your all time favourites?

My top three favourites are:

Puella-Magi-Madoka-Magica-wallpaper.thumb.jpg.45f2b71aa4575472b040828cd31c2bda.jpg

1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica: the darkest one of them all with mesmerising disorienting battle scenes and quite possibly the best soundtrack of them all. I liked it so much I bought the Ultimate Madoka figure.

magical-girl-lyrical-nanoha.thumb.jpg.2565695ab7f5ffab8925f05db2b6f110.jpg

2. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: I feel this one is the underdog, it barely got any Western localised releases due to licensing issues. Which is a darn shame because Fate and Nanoha are just so adorable. I love how their weapons talk and how ridiculously powerful their attacks are.

yuki-yuna-is-a-hero-cover.thumb.jpg.385ef9e63015e61308e7472c06e3e923.jpg3. Yuki Yuna is a Hero: this only finished airing late last year so it's a recent release. The bizarre twist in this one is the characters transform using an app on their smartphone. Well that's keeping with the times I suppose. Yuki is the most genki magical girl ever. I really enjoyed this one too.

I've also made a poll which you can vote for multiple choices if you like. If your choice isn't in the poll, let me know in this thread with your opinion and I'll adjust the poll accordingly.

Look forward to your responses. :)

Well, the only one I've watched is Yuuki Yuuna, and that was pretty good, so I guess I'll choose that. I already plan on watching Madoka eventually, but is Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha any good?

• Like 1

Yes Nanoha is definitely worth a watch! I really do feel bemused that it didn't get a proper DVD/Bluray English release which is unfortunate as in Japan it really is very popular still. I remember seeing lots of Nanoha merchandise and figures on the shelves in Akihabara. I watched the new movie compilation versions though instead of the original TV series as I found it difficult to source.

As for Madoka, there are movie compilation versions too which have improved animation. I intend to watch those movie versions sometime.

Not a huge fan of the genre and I can't say I have watched many Magi girl series so I would have to go with Puella (the acid trips though @_@ ).

And does Kore wa count ? cause well . . . I mean .. you know ... He is a magical girl (sort of)

And does Kore wa count ? cause well . . . I mean .. you know ... He is a magical girl (sort of)

I'm not familiar with that one - is that the full title? Having trouble finding more information on that one.

Ahhh I see. Yes that would count as one, though with the role reversal there it's definitely more of a parody than your typical magical girl title.

Is that your favourite? If so I'll add it to the poll so you can add cast your vote. :)

Madoka Magica is definitely my favorite, absolutely loved it. The magical girl genre never really appealed to me much and I haven't seen many magical girl series, but Madoka Magica was right up my alley. A friend convinced me to watch Lyrical Nanoha as well, which so far I have liked quite a lot too, so perhaps I'll have to look into some other shows.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was not a big fan of magical girl anime. Then Madoka came along and I liked it, because it's not really a magical girl anime. lol

Having said that, I did used to like Cardcaptor Sakura as well.

• Agree 1

Surprised no one mentioned "Princess tutu".

I guess it has been a couple of years since it's debut. The hype of it kinda died out.

"Panty & stocking"

Would you consider this a Magical girl? Kinda fits the criteria.

"Full Moon wo Sagashite"

It's kinda sad when the community thinks of older Magical girl shows, they think of Sailor Moon and completely ignore Full moon wo Sagashite. :(

"Revolutionary Girl Utena"

"Back in the good old days even lesbians had depth" -Thatanimesnob

never change snob, never change.

"Pretty cure"

Surprised no one mentioned this yet, it used to be REALLY popular. Guess the hype kinda died out with princess tutu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I voted for Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, looking forward to Movie 3rd, even though I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the movies, I prefer the events of the series, however some of the new bits the movies add, are interesting! Need to pick up Vivid again, along with Innocents!

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Nanoha got licensed whilst they economic crisis happened, apparently Seven Seas was even going to release the StrikerS manga, but that didn't happen in the end, think it was Seven Seas anyway!

It's interesting how Magical Girl has changed, given how a number of magical girl series are being aimed at guys, such as Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica - I don't know if it's the same with Yuki Yuuna is a Hero!

Actually did you know that the US Kid's dub of Card Captor Sakura was aimed at guys too? This is the reason why the US broadcast started from episode 8, Shaoran's appearance, rather than episode 1, when Sakura found the Clow Cards, it is also the reason why the series was called Cardcaptors, rather than Card Captor Sakura!

Been watching another magical girl series from the 90s, called (Kaitou) Saint Tail, it has a very 90s feel to it (obviously), quite sweet and cool, although I don't feel they handle all the characters too well, however I'm holding off forming an exact opinion until I get to the end!

Watched another magical girl series, well OVA, they have made a series, but not got round to watching it yet, called Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel, featuring Yukari Tamura and Mamiko Noto as lead characters Haruka and Aoi!

A couple of people have mentioned that there are other magical girl series out there, so I will do so too, although can't list all the series I thought of, because been anti-leech blocked by aniDB -it's just too "easy" to get blocked!

Question is if the "Magical Girl" tag is being brandished about too easily, because a character can be a magical girl, but does that make the series magical girl?

[spoiler=Magical Girl or Not]

Other possible magical girl series:

• Corrector Yui - mix of magic and technology;

• Magical Kanan - didn't realise it had a hentai alternative;
  • Narue no Sekai - not sure it is, but had the tag;
  • Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou;
  • Fantasista Doll;
  • Uta Kata;
  • Nurse Witch Komugi and Z - need to get round to watching Z at somepoint;
  • Nurse Witch Komugi R - new characers(!?), but still need to get round to watching this, although need to watch Z first;
  • Magical User's Club - although I think grammatically it should really be Magical Users' Club;

• Witchcraft Works - apparently;
  • Sore Yuke! Gedou Otometai - magical girl counterpart of Love Pheromone, part of Akahori Gedou Hour Rabuge;

• Ore no Twintail, ni Narimasu - well one of the characters is tagged as such;

• Kämpfer - can see the reasoning;

• Kannazuki no Miko - apparently;
  • Bokuretsu Tenshi Dokoro-chan - can see the reasoning;
  • Senki Zenshou Symphogear - apparently;
  • Vividred Operation - wasn't tagged as such, but a reviewer drew parallels;

• Dai Mahou Touge;
  • Puni Puni Poemi;
  • Kigurumikku V3 - looks kinda more like "Gatchaman Kids", but it had the magical girl tag;

• Nanatsuiro Drops - need to get round to watching this, similar to CCS, with magical girl and her "familiar";

• Moetan - learn English with magical girls, who look ten years younger than they are (that surprised me);

• Maji de Otaku na English! Ribbon-chan - learn more English with magical girls;

• Otogi-Juushi Akzukin - well, perhaps it's more the characters, rather than the series;

• Saint October - gotta get round to finishing this, when I last watched it, I couldn't get hold of all the episodes;

• Magical Girl Pretty Sammy and Sasami: Mahou Shoujo Club - Ai Tenchi Muyo looks quite tempting, so the completionist in me might want me to watch the whole of the Tenchi Muyo metaseries before starting ATM, if only I was more interested in it back in the 90s :(;

• Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo - not to be confused with Okusama wa Joshikousei, or Okusama wa Seitokaichou;
  • Houkago no Pleiades - watched the ONA, need to get round to watching the series, and movie, when it's out;

• Getsumen to Heiki Mina - need to get round to watching this (and Densha Otoko), and it's got nothing to do with the fact it features magical bunny girls ;)!

There's also some series I thought were magical girl, but aniDB said no, or they just don't know:

• Magical Pokaan - to be honest, I can agree, it has magic, but it's not magical girl;

• Magikano - same as above, although not 100% sure, given Magical Users' Club is magical girl;
  • Maburaho - again, has magic, but not magical girl;

• Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku o! - same as above;
  • Strike Witches - thought if Ore no Twintail, and Vividred Operation were magical girl, perhaps this was;

• Valkyrie Drive - same as above;

• Mai-Hime and Mai-Otome - they've been called magical girl, but aniDB says that they are not, also features music by Yuki Kajiura, who scored music for Puella Magi Madoka Magica, well except for s.ifr, which sounds like it was by someone inspired by the soundtrack to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, although that's not a bad thing, just not Kajiura;

• Guardian Hearts - aniDB doesn't know if it is, or isn't, unless GH isn't, but the sequel Power Up! is;
  • Tantei Opera Milky Holmes - apparently it's not, although I thought the toys (magic) and situation screamed magical girl!

When I'm unblocked from aniDB, I might add to the list(s)! I don't know why I dedicate too much time on "unimportant" things!

I'm reminded of some magical girl spin-offs or sequences, such as:

• D-Frag! with Takao Thunder - Roka incorrectly believes Takao is bullying Noe;
  • Yuru Yuri with Mirakurun - Chinatsu has dressed up as the heroine, whilst Himawari has dressed up as the rival;
  • Magical Star Kanon - an OVA where Kanon has become a magical girl, also has a manga;
  • Magical Pâtisserie Kosaki-chan (Nisekoi) - Kosaki, Marika, Seishirou, Yui, Haru and Chitoge become dessert themed magical girls;
  • School Days: Magical Heart Kokoro - little sister of Kotonoha, Kokoro takes the centre stage in a magical girl OVA;
  • Puella Magi Sonico Magica - a parody (for an April Fool's Day, I think) opening of Madoka Magica, featuring Super Sonico;
  • Carnival Phantasm - Phatasmoon (Arcueid), the sketches are only short, more like previews of a non-existent, long running magical girl series, because every time it's on, the next episode number is far from the last one, think Kaleido Ruby (Rin Tousaka) also features in one "preview"!

I actually think that the Sonico parody could have done a little better, by actually co-ordinating the characters more, I mean Nitroplus do have a girl with blonde hair, Pochako, a girl with blue hair, Garnet, and a girl with red hair -nope wait, it's pink, but darker shade than Sonico's-, Spica!

That said, it does mean that Fuuri would get the chop, because that would make six, and Suzu does have black hair, so logical choice to keep!

Still, I think the whole reason for the parody opening was to drum up interest for SoniAni, so wouldn't make sense to include characters not featuring in the anime, hence the final shot of the parody opening, features Sonico, Fuuri and Suzu! Although that said, apparently Pochako features in SoniAni, as a "before she was famous" sort of way!

• 2 weeks later...
I quite love Madoka Magica and Shugo Chara! . I've been watched a few of the Precure series here lately, but to me, they don't stack up to either of those.

For the last year now Fresh Precure has been my favorite, though...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Though I enjoyed PMMM, my favourites have to be sailor moon and smile precure!

Would you add those?

Hello @Na11 - I've added these two anime titles to the poll. Feel free to change your vote(s) in the poll to reflect this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Havn't ever seen any magical girl anime. If I were to get into that which one would you advise I start with?

Hello @SAO LILDOOP, my personal favourites at the moment are:

• Puella Magi Madoka Magica (psychologically it's great and arguably the most popular one)
  • Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (Nanoha is so adorable)
  • Senki Zesshou Symphogear (more action and music with Sci-Fi)

I wrote about the first two here:

https://animeforums.net/three-great-magical-girl-titles/

And also about Symphogear here:

https://animeforums.net/three-great-anime-music-titles/

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Havn't ever seen any magical girl anime. If I were to get into that which one would you advise I start with?

It depends on what magical girl series you're after, the "traditional" stuff (like Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Kaitou Saint Tail, etc. - aimed at girls), or "alternate" stuff (like Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and Puella Magi Madoka Magica - aimed at guys!?)!

• 2 months later...
  • Geano locked this topic