Featured threads suggestions

zoop

Question

I really like the featured thread feature that is in use here, however I feel like the threads that it cycles through could do with a refresh in order to keep things fresh, and to highlight more recent topics of interest.

My personal thoughts on which ones could do with being taken out of the rotation would be...

• Winter, 2017 - upcoming anime discussion! - Outdated.

• Anime of the Season (Fall 2016) - Outdated.

• Favourite X Character? - Right now we have a ton of "favorite X" threads in the listing. I'd suggest picking one or two and dumping the rest. I'd stick with Favorite fantasy warrior, Favorite Magical Girl Anime, and Favorite Couple for now, since they're less ultra-niche than many of the other threads.
  • Best retail shop to buy anime in your area? - As streaming services continue to gain more and more ground, retail shops are becoming less prolific. If the community here were local to a single particular area it might make more sense, but as there are folks here from all over the world the utility of the thread becomes diminished imo.

• Re:ZERO - Emilia, Rem or Ram? - The show has basically ran its course at this point.

• Krul Tepes vs Shinoa Hiiragi - Same as above.

• Shiro vs. Izuna Hatsuse - And again.

• What do you think of anime clearfiles? - While I think the other merch threads could do okay with remaining in the rotation, clearfiles seem like an exceptionally niche sort of merchandise.

My thoughts on additions... I'm not going to bother adding threads for anime that are currently running, since that seems like a no-brainer to me. :D

Anyhow, these are just from the first page of their respective board indexes. This place has a lot of threads, and a lot of them are pretty good - even older ones that aren't in active use right now. Why not give them a bit of time in the spotlight?

Having semi-regularly rotated and curated content in the featured thread display can sometimes make the difference between having someone come onto the site, check their notifications and leave, or having them come on, check their notifications, and see a big shout-out to a thread they may not have otherwise noticed.

At any rate, just a thought.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

4 answers to this question

I tend to agree with zoop

and the list may seem bib but once in rotation it wont seem to be as bad or maybe the rotation banner in to thirds and do three at a time , also id suggest rotating a little faster

and probably add some useless ice breaker game ongoing silly type game threads f to keep people posting

id also like to suggest (I don't know if its able to be done here but ive seen something simular on other forums) a min requirement of activity to unlock your account to be able to post links out , to stop the ive only signed up to redirect you to this I'm doing threads !

• Agree 1

was just having a thought with the large forum area tiles on the main forum page , you know , the ones representing general anime , tittle discussion ,chit chat , .... well you know the ones

I wonder if this site supports this idea , that when you hover your mouse curser over it , it would flip and be able to show the top 5 latest threads that were posted in , or so

but as I said its just an idea

Hello @zoop , thanks for the detailed feedback regarding the Featured Threads.

I admit this is my fault on this one - due to the recent hiatus I had from my end due to work and RL commitments. @_@

Having semi-regularly rotated and curated content in the featured thread display can sometimes make the difference between having someone come onto the site, check their notifications and leave, or having them come on, check their notifications, and see a big shout-out to a thread they may not have otherwise noticed.

Indeed the nature of forums makes it easy for threads to quickly become buried past the first page - especially on busy forums. I do agree on keeping the Featured Threads fresh but also with evergreen long-lasting topics that are easy for both new and existing members to join in at anytime.

An extra strategy I'm aiming for long term is to also add the Featured Threads into a regular fortnightly email newsletter.

I will definitely review the Featured Threads after the revamp. :angel:

I wonder if this site supports this idea , that when you hover your mouse curser over it , it would flip and be able to show the top 5 latest threads that were posted in , or so

but as I said its just an idea

Interesting idea - but currently not easy to do without custom development.. though we could instead make a new page with maybe three columns and display boxes, each box could display 5 latest threads for each forum section.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

An extra strategy I'm aiming for long term is to also add the Featured Threads into a regular fortnightly email newsletter.

This would be lovely, to be honest, and ties into something else I had been thinking about - the fact that it doesn't really seem like the forum sends out many types of email notifications. I may be mistaken, but it doesn't appear that there's any way to be notified via email when someone quotes a post I've made for example. Things like that, and/or an email newsletter, would definitely help to keep the forum fresh in folk's minds.