Game crowdfunding

zoop

Is crowdfunding something that you support?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is crowdfunding something that you support?

• Yes, and I've had positive experiences with it.
    • Yes, though I've had negative experiences with it.
    • Yes, though I've never participated in a campaign.
    • No, though I have had good experiences with campaigns in the past.
    • No, I've had negative experiences with it.
    • No, and I've never participated in a campaign.

Crowdfunding! Something that people tend to have fairly strong opinions about in my experience. I'm curious to know what folks think about game crowdfunding, and if anyone has personally backed anything?

I'm personally a huge fan of the concept, since many of the games I play are extremely niche titles that are often under served through mainstream channels. With that said, I view the projects that I'm interested in backing with a critical eye, and back away quickly if individuals running the show seem to lack sufficient experience and credibility.

I've backed a few games myself. To date...

• Mighty Number 9 (Flop!)
  • Bloodstained (The pre-alpha tech demo they released was better than MN9's final form)
  • Midair (Tribes-like game)
  • Visage (Horror game)
  • Sunless Skies (Follow up to Sunless Sea, one of my favoritest things evar)

Beyond that, a number of games that I count as being among my favorites came out of Kickstarter and similar services, though at the time of their campaigns I was either unable to contribute or simply never caught on to it. They are...

• Darkest Dungeon
  • Sunless Sea
  • FTL
  • Chivalry
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • 20xx

Despite MN9's complete and utter failure in every single way imaginable, I still have a great deal of faith in the concept of crowdfunding for games, though I tend to save pledges of any significant amount for projects that are already reasonably far along, or projects that have sufficient experience behind the helm that I'm willing to take a shot in the dark. This approach isn't entirely bullet proof, as MN9 demonstrates with frustrating success, but it hasn't quite been enough to sour me. Maybe if Bloodstained ends up tanking I'll lose my enthusiasm, but that seems increasingly unlikely given the fact that each of their development updates has been extremely promising in my opinion.

At the moment there are two game projects that I'm following, Sunless Skies and Pillars of Eternity 2. Due to rabid and unrelenting fangirlness, I'm personally skipping out on backing PoE2 for the sake of backing Sunless Skies at a ridiculous tier like I did for Bloodstained, which was an utterly foolish financial decision at the time, but dammit - that collector's box was calling to me.

Any other recent backers for anything?

Hmm.... So far I've only backed one game and an upcoming anime adaptation of a game.

- Elisa the Innkeeper on Steam

and the upcoming anime of NekoPara.

But meh, I do donate to Twitch.tv streamers. lol.

:smirk:

I'm not the type to ask for money for any reason , so I couldn't see me crowd funding for a project

but having said that I have helped out others with money so if tha situation arose and I found the reason worth it id say yes I would offer to crowd funding

I support it, though I've never done so with my own money, However games like the Banner Saga series, the Sequel to Psychonauts, and a host of other great indies owe their existence to successful Kickstarters and Figs. It's kinda hard for me since I enjoy a decent amount of Indies to let the few bad apples destroy the gems that have shone through crowdfunded games.

• Like 1

see this is where id expect people to crowdfund

https://animeforums.net/community/threads/black-cat-movie-petition.1693/

mind you this particular petition only got 4 supporters but hell rather than petition if you really want it as a group and really support the idea then as a group organise a crowdfunding

• Like 1

see this is where id expect people to crowdfund

https://animeforums.net/community/threads/black-cat-movie-petition.1693/

mind you this particular petition only got 4 supporters but hell rather than petition if you really want it as a group and really support the idea then as a group organise a crowdfunding

This is how the second Little Witch Academia film was funded, actually:

Though, I'm not familiar with any other anime that have been crowd funded as of yet.

• Like 1