Good place to buy Japanese books?

Thermidor

Hello good people of AF!

I've recently started a small collection of Japanese books, mostly children's books. Sadly, I seem to have exhausted my local used-bookstore's supply of Japanese children books. Does anyone know where I could buy lower-to-intermediate-level books written in Japanese? Online or in-store works for me, as long as they ship to Texas (or it's within driving distance)!

On a related note, I would kind of like to purchase the OverLord series of light novels. However, Japanese websites won't ship them to me with an American credit card. :( Does anyone know of a good website where I could buy them and have them shipped to me? If possible, I'd prefer to avoid a proxy website (the kind that let you buy Japanese goods, and then they ship it to you).

Alternatively, does anyone know any good bookstores in Japan that sell either children's books or light novels? I plan on visiting the country for the first time this coming May, and I hope to buy as much as I can carry before the end of that week! I've been studying the language for a while now, so the store doesn't have to be English-friendly.

Sorry for asking so many questions! If you have a reply for even one of them, or just a comment, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!

I can highly recommend CDJapan and Amiami for direct Japanese goods. They have English websites and do international shipping. I use my credit card fine for these retailers.

Amiami is cheaper for most things but they go out of stock quickly unless you pre-order for new-release items. CDJapan is more expensive but they have a pretty good range.

On a related note, I would kind of like to purchase the OverLord series of light novels. However, Japanese websites won't ship them to me with an American credit card. :(

Are these what you're after? :)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/series/4428?term.cat_id=UD-10&page=1

Alternatively, does anyone know any good bookstores in Japan that sell either children's books or light novels?

Truthfully, you'll find no shortage of book stores in Japan. Sorry nothing comes to mind to me at the moment, my mind is still filled with vivid memories of the many lovely doujinshi I saw in a shop called Melonbooks I saw in Akihabara, among many others. :P

@ssjup81 may have some suggestions.

• Like 1

I can highly recommend CDJapan and Amiami for direct Japanese goods. They have English websites and do international shipping. I use my credit card fine for these retailers.

Amiami is cheaper for most things but they go out of stock quickly unless you pre-order for new-release items. CDJapan is more expensive but they have a pretty good range.

Are these what you're after? :)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/series/4428?term.cat_id=UD-10&page=1

Truthfully, you'll find no shortage of book stores in Japan. Sorry nothing comes to mind to me at the moment, my mind is still filled with vivid memories of the many lovely doujinshi I saw in a shop called Melonbooks I saw in Akihabara, among many others. :P

@ssjup81 may have some suggestions.

This wealth of information... Beautiful! Thank you so much, Optic! This seems to be exactly what I was looking for. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know much details about this, but I heard that you can buy amazon.jp goods through a proxy.

I know that a lot of people use it to buy onaholes and figuring when amazon.jp goes on sale.

I don't know the details very well, and I've never used it myself. But if it's a last resort, try using a proxy to buy something off amazon.

But you should read a guide on it first.

I'm sure a quick google search will suffice.

• Informative 1

I don't know much details about this, but I heard that you can buy amazon.jp goods through a proxy.

I know that a lot of people use it to buy onaholes and figuring when amazon.jp goes on sale.

I don't know the details very well, and I've never used it myself. But if it's a last resort, try using a proxy to buy something off amazon.

But you should read a guide on it first.

I'm sure a quick google search will suffice.

Like, an internet proxy? Or a physical one? Well, I guess Google could tell me more. Thanks for the suggestion!