Guilty pleasure anime?

Cy~

Dun dun dun! It's time to share a secret or two. Or, maybe it isn't a secret at all? Do you have any guilty pleasure anime that you watch and enjoy?

First, let me explain what I mean. There are some shows that are like "punching bags" for the elite critics that post reviews on some of the popular anime listing sites. A lot of popular anime are considered trash. If you say that you like them, maybe people will poke fun at you.

Well, no worries. No one will poke fun at you in this topic. Let's talk about our guilty pleasures, confess the anime that would get us laughed out of Anime Critic school.

I'll start by shamelessly declaring the following -

• Erased was top tier. Everything about it was magnificent.
  • Another is a fantastic horror/mystery anime.
  • Attack on Titan is worthy of a Greek god/goddess.

I have no shame! Neither should you. Get to posting! Don't let me be the only one here. >_>

Note: This topic has been inspired by brycec -

I hate anime that is popular, yet has nothing really that intriguing, like Attack on Titan. That one may receive some backlash against me here.
  • Winner 2

I still kind of like DBZ these days, as I do watch Super, but I do not think I rate it, or any of my guilty pleasures, highly.

When I review anime, I give my honest feelings, without commenting too much on what I have no authority on (e.g. quality of animation, since I do not have animation experience).

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

Not a lot compared to guilty pleasure movies to be honest. A lot of anime are either bad or good for me, rarely in-between enough for me to "secretly like them" as guilty pleasures. It's mostly because a lot of anime are TV series with episodes (as opposed to a two hour movie I could just pop in for fun).

That said, I guess I'll say School Days, if only for that ending. I love my disturbing scenes, and that was just f-ed up. I love it.

Then there's Pocket Monsters (subbed please). I liked some of the seasons in there, like Diamond and Pearl and XY. It's not exactly a top quality show, especially where its latest season is concerned. But it's still fun to check in every now and then.

Mirai Nikki used to be my guilty pleasure, but then I realized how bad it really is and how messy the writing is, not to mention finding other better anime that are more worth my time. Like I said, it's rarely a grey area for me when it comes to anime. You're either good or a 5 out of 10. And also, my favorite character in there isn't even Yuno or Yuki.

• Agree 1

I, My, Me Strawberry Eggs! I loved it. It was probably one of the first anime I watched all the way through. I ended up really loving the plot and story line. But when I mention it to people, I get the typical "ew" since it's basically loli lol.

Alsooo.. Sword Art Online season 2. Lol. I did not think it was that bad, though I always hear everyone saying so. I actually rather enjoyed the first half of season 2.

Vampire Knight (THE MANGA) - let me preface by saying manga because the animation was awful. One of those manga that I actually really loved artist and general plot wise. At one point, I kind of lost interest, but, another one that I actually enjoyed to some extent but have others around me losing crap over it lol.

Finally, Princess TuTu. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series, it is my favorite series and I love the animation so much. :'( Created by the lovely lady who did Sailor Moon,

• Synopsis
    In a fairy tale come to life, the clumsy, sweet, and gentle Ahiru (Japanese for "duck") seems like an unlikely protagonist. In reality, Ahiru is just as magical as the talking cats and crocodiles that inhabit her town—for Ahiru really is a duck! Transformed by the mysterious Drosselmeyer into a human girl, Ahiru soon learns the reason for her existence. Using her magical egg-shaped pendant, Ahiru can transform into Princess Tutu—a beautiful and talented ballet dancer whose dances relieve people of the turmoil in their hearts. With her newfound ability, Ahiru accepts the challenge of collecting the lost shards of her prince's heart, for long ago he had shattered it in order to seal an evil raven away for all eternity.

Princess Tutu is a tale of heroes and their struggle against fate. Their beliefs, their feelings, and ultimately their actions will determine whether this fairy tale can reach its "happily ever after."

I get a lot of crap for it. :'( But I love it so much!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2
  • Winner 1

Finally, Princess TuTu. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series, it is my favorite series and I love the animation so much. :'( Created by the lovely lady who did Sailor Moon,

I get a lot of crap for it. :'( But I love it so much!

I know one person that worked for the computer recycling place I used to volunteer at that likes that show too, and tried recommending it to everyone.

It was not my cup of tea, but I would not fault you for liking it.

• Like 2

Mine would have to be LuckyStar :P

I'm really really enjoying watching but whenever I show anybody (or anybody happens to see) the OP for the show I've been given some funny looks and my own girlfriend backed away from me with a look not far away from this:

6V5pL_BySQqr8OnmcFCJVQ.thumb.png.1a39df4d0e9100ba502d4a52275d8df4.png

I find the show to be really very funny though and extremely entertaining so I can't say I'm deeply offended. :D

• Like 3

I'm really really enjoying watching but whenever I show anybody (or anybody happens to see) the OP for the show I've been given some funny looks and my own girlfriend backed away from me with a look not far away from this:

The opening animation doesn't seem all that strange compared to what some anime do, though. :?

I actually really like the song that was used. Not really a fan of the anime though - a little too over done for me.

• Agree 2

The opening animation doesn't seem all that strange compared to what some anime do, though. :?

This is true, I imagine :D

But to outsiders who have barely the faintest grasp of anime knowledge (I'm talking about parents here mainly) this is unbelievably strange :P

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

X2

I think maybe also I should add the fate series to my list here as well and I'm sure id have a few others for this list for this threads requirements as some like their areas of anime and mines quite broad that I have a list uet to see at least three time of my list of what ive seen and its still growing . wish I had more time

This is true, I imagine :D

But to outsiders who have barely the faintest grasp of anime knowledge (I'm talking about parents here mainly) this is unbelievably strange :P

isn't this the outsiders view of anime in general not just certain as they try to conform to their belief at what they think society want of them and their need to pressure help others to conform to one mindless entity called society and anime isn't the only area this such happens

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I watched the first couple seasons of Kuroshitsuji, then I thought to myself, this is getting a bit too homoerotic for me and stopped, I don't remember what exactly did it though, that was a good show. I watched Kyo Kara Mao when I was younger not knowing it was that BL, only took me a hundred episodes to figure it out, truth be told I enjoyed it, despite the undertones. Also, I watched a shoujo anime once called my little monster, only saw the first season, liked it surprisingly though. I've watched every episode of the original DBZ and Dragon Ball twice. I enjoyed the first half of sword art when dying meant something. I watched a bunch of harem anime when I was younger and able to enjoy them, now I'm like haha, that would never happen, not even in one of the multiverses.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Wow. The homophobia is strong in this thread. You people should stop. Ill feel hated :0

Homophobia? Look, I'm pretty fucking gay, and I just thought they were saying that it wasn't to their taste. Not everybody likes gay/lesbian stuff, and that's okay. No one said that something was bad because it featured LGBT stuff. They just said that it wasn't their preference.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

I don't know how liked/disliked this one is but Fruits Basket was my first love. It's just so genuine and at this point probably a classic of its genre. Too cute for words and the characters are all so likeable in their own ways. :D

I would not say it was disliked too much, but I was not much of a fan of it.

Not really going to fault you for liking it though.

You know, I don't believe in guilty pleasures. Why should I ever feel like the things I enjoy I need to hide from others. I like what I like, and really who cares what others think about that.

I don't disagree! The phrase "guilty pleasure" is just a figure of speech. It means that something is unpopular and you like it; it doesn't mean that you are literally ashamed and hiding from others. :P

• Like 2

I don't disagree! The phrase "guilty pleasure" is just a figure of speech. It means that something is unpopular and you like it; it doesn't mean that you are literally ashamed and hiding from others. :P

You aren't wrong, it's just the stigma kind of bothers me. I mean just the idea of hiding your interests gets under my skin a little bit.

• Agree 2

Homophobia? Look, I'm pretty f****** gay, and I just thought they were saying that it wasn't to their taste. Not everybody likes gay/lesbian stuff, and that's okay. No one said that something was bad because it featured LGBT stuff. They just said that it wasn't their preference.

And not everyone reads stuff the same way. Calm the **** down

And not everyone reads stuff the same way. Calm the **** down

Don't worry - she was extremely calm when she wrote that; having sat next to her when she was typing it, I can say this with complete and utter confidence. She didn't dislike any posts, she didn't accuse anyone of homophobia, or any of those other things that might indicate being upset.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 2

• Geano locked this topic