Have you ever pretended to be sick in order to skip work/school?

Mazino

Have you ever pretended to be sick in order to skip work/school?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever pretended to be sick in order to skip work/school?

This idea for a thread came into my mind while talking on discord, feel free to relate us your story and don't worry your secret is safe here. :angel:

I have pretended to be sick back in the middle school in order to skip a long school day and a not learned math test.

I still had to write the math test though but i was way better prepared :D

EDIT: Added poll.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Of course not. I'm far too well behaved for that sort of thing ohohohohohohohohohohohohohohoho.

So, that's actually a complete and utter lie. The first time it ever happened, I was in ... fourth grade, I believe? I legitimately wasn't feeling great, and told the teacher as much... so she asked if I needed to go home. My face lit up in blatant, wide-eyed amazement - I'd never thought about this before.

So... obviously, I said yes. Lied my way through the nurse and went home.

... and did it again the following week.

... and tried to do it again the week after that. Let's just say that mother wasn't impressed. ^^;

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

I've never pretended to be sick to get out of school. Even if I was actually sick, my mum would practically have to force me to stay home. I usually got better partway through the day and would end up super bored, that's why I always went.

I have called off of work once before though, pretending to be sick. I was actually taking a mental health day. I was very close to the point of needing a counsellor, and it was the job that was doing it to me. If I had told them that though, they wouldn't have exactly let it fly. So I called in like I had the flu or something. Straight up told them (in a pained voice of course), "I don't really know what's wrong, but I've been going in and out of the bathroom basically nonstop since like 3 in the morning." They gave their condolences and didn't ask for anymore details lmao

• Like 3

No... never... I wouldent do that...... hhaah yea of course I have like 20 days each year missing for that exact reason and about 2% of those 20 are me being sick but trust me If you stayed up as late as I do you would have missed them to...... so DEFINITELY

• Like 1

I have called off of work once before though, pretending to be sick. I was actually taking a mental health day. I was very close to the point of needing a counsellor, and it was the job that was doing it to me. If I had told them that though, they wouldn't have exactly let it fly.

I'm a firm believer in mental health days, tbh. It's a bit irritating that things like that typically have to be dressed up as a physical illness before anyone gives a damn. :-/

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'm a firm believer in mental health days, tbh. It's a bit irritating that things like that typically have to be dressed up as a physical illness before anyone gives a damn. :-/

Oh I totally agree! I had never had to do something like that before. It felt absolutely horrible and I felt really lost and helpless at the time. That was once. I can't even imagine what it's like for someone that has to go through on a regular basis.

It wasn't the actual job that did it to anyone, it was the way we were treated by the management and owners. I have my ups and downs, just like anyone else. But I consider myself to have fairly decent mental health. For a job to drive me to that point was absolutely infuriating.

I almost didn't call in sick, because a part of me felt wrong for not "actually being sick." But then I remembered I strongly support mental health days and have even encouraged other people in the past to take them. Why not do the same for myself eh?

• Agree 1

I have called off of work once before though, pretending to be sick. I was actually taking a mental health day. I was very close to the point of needing a counsellor, and it was the job that was doing it to me. If I had told them that though, they wouldn't have exactly let it fly. So I called in like I had the flu or something. Straight up told them (in a pained voice of course), "I don't really know what's wrong, but I've been going in and out of the bathroom basically nonstop since like 3 in the morning." They gave their condolences and didn't ask for anymore details lmao

I actually did this same thing last week. I work in a really progressive environment, but I still wouldn't dare ask for a mental health day. For me, I'm basically extremely anxious when I'm doing anything that involves people and my job involves a lot of people (hahaha :angry:). Adding those two things together with my own residual issues (due to having a very unpleasant youth), and you get a recipe for disaster. The disaster plays out about once every two months or so. I usually end up calling in with stomach flu or something else stomach related. No one bothers asking the details if it's a digestive issue. :?

• Like 2

meh

ive drivin into work to tell them I'm not coming in and being sick and going in to town to see a movie , honest and they have still payed me , whats worse is ive also gone in clocked on and walked back out saying bye to my superior and left , and was with them over five years

not as good now but still simular and been here 15 but it costs my company around 7 to 8g just to keep my tickets up each year on top of my wages and would also cost them a bit as well to get rid of me with unless I leave

• Like 2

Yes and proud of it! HAHA... nah, not really (proud).

It's practically an extra-curriculum of mine back in school, playing hooky by visiting the doctor for a sick leave. I had so many MCs, most of which were for diarrhea (the easiest illness to fake). The doctor probably got tired of my truancy that he 'punished' me by anal-probing me during one check-up. True story. I was too young to know better and report him back then. :-/

Then there was that time when I got sexually assaulted during one of my "runaways". I would usually hide in the toilet stalls to pass the time because the shops weren't open early in the morning. Once, while doing so, some jerk was masturbating in the stall next to mine. There was this tiny peephole on my end of the stall for some reason, and 10 year old me just had to be curious and see what was going on... The guy found out and barged into the stall and forced me to stroke his... well, thang.

Anyway, going off topic, but it was such a significant part of my truancy life that I felt I had to mention anyway. Sorry if I disturbed any of ya. ;) But that's probably a moral story for you, a punishment for skipping school. I think I still skipped school though after that incident. I was too young to be "traumatized" by that incident, or know what the heck just happened. He got away scot-free, and I didn't know better to report that guy or tell my parents either...

Of course, I got far more painful punishments after that in the form of public caning. See, Singapore practices corporal punishment. They cane you with a huge wooden cane for being naughty. It can take place in a classroom if your crime isn't severe enough, or in the public for humiliation. Girls get away though, of course, since it might harm their, well, parts, if caning is performed on them. Ahem. Going off topic again. lol

But yeah. Playing hooky by pretending to be sick was the easiest thing in the world for me. I kinda regret it now, of course. I realized that school was the best thing that happened to me now that I'm in the working world. It sucks compared to school. You think sitting in a classroom learning stuff is worse than being stuck in a cubicle processing documents for no higher purpose other than to earn money? Stick to school, kids. You don't want to know what comes after.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

yes totally yes. like i know its shitty, but i dont do it because im trying to be lazy, it usually because im just to stressed out, or i just cant function around people, and i just need to be alone. but ofcourse you cant just say that. so i usually just say ive got the runs, and nobody ever asks further

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Winner 1

Ha!

All the time. xD

From reading all your posts, it really seems like it's hard for a lot of you to get a sick day from school.

You know what I do if I wake up and I think to myself "Nah."?

I get out of bed (or don't move, sometimes I just sit there and text) and waltz over to my dad and tell him I have headache, am dizzy, and feel sick. He then calls the school and tell them I am unwell, and I go back to my lair bedroom.

Sorted.

Works every time (y)

Important notice: Don't skip school. It's far too amusing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

In school I wanted to have perfect attendance so even if I was feeling sick I would go anyway unless my mom forced me to stay home.

For work I sorta fake sick to get out early. And it's not so much faking sick as I'm actually kind of sick but overacting how sick I really am.

• Like 3

Plenty, got really good at giving myself a fever with a thermometer and light bulb after I did screw up once and showed that I had a temp of like 130F. That was during my school years but I still pretend every now and then, but normal I just say car troubles and am left off the hook.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

oh god i did i all the time. my mom never let me stay home unless i was running a fever when i was young, (she checked with a thermometer every time) but by the time 8th grade rolled around she realized i was doing it for a reason and sometimes id stay out of school for a week straight

• Like 2

I skipped quite a bit of school. But whenever I was actually sick I was out for a week and missed tests. It was real easy to make them up though. It was also pretty easy to trick my parents. ;3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I actually 'made' myself get sick, so I had to not go to school. Which is a lot worse.

Because I disliked school that much.

And that was the only way I couldn't go. : / (desperate times, desperate measures I suppose?)

• Like 2

Oh man, I did all the time. When the school year started, I would carefully plan the days I'm not going in advance to prevent people noticing that I call in sick a lot. Funny enough, there was always at least one person in my class that attended even less than me so people didn't notice anyway.

I actually 'made' myself get sick, so I had to not go to school. Which is a lot worse.

Because I disliked school that much.

Oh jeez. How did you manage to do that, if you don't mind my asking? D:

• 3 months later...