Hiking and Camping?

Cy~

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What the hell is "outdoors"? Is it tasty?

Well you see, my dear, I know a thing or two about this, so I would be happy to respond! (o^.^o) In short, the outdoors is, in fact, quite delicious. From the butterflies, to the flowers, to the leaves, to the spiders, to the spiderwebs. It's a veritable feast. I have the habit of talking a lot while I'm walking, so I have been able to sample a lot of nature's goodness. Here, have some summaries -

• Butterflies - they taste like chalk. Not too bad, not too good. I've consumed a few of these (accidentally, I swear) and every time I'm amazed by how palatable they are.
  • Flies - surprisingly tasteless, whenever they stop flying around in your mouth.
  • Spiders - utterly unfortunate; I have never swallowed one. I spit them out immediately.
  • Spider Webs - like very, very thin, very chewy spaghetti.
  • Flowers - depends on the type, be careful, though. Some of them can kill. :o
  • Leaves/Plants - same as flowers.

I hope you find this insightful. (y)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Funny 2

I have hiked a few times here in Ireland but it's usually always wet so it turns miserable, I have camped a few times and enjoyed it a lot

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

So informative! I'd rather get pizza.

TBH, I've never been the outdoorsy type. I hope that leash would hold @zoop even for a bit.

I really agree, actually - pizza is way better.

It's okay if you're not outdoorsy, I think. Most people these days aren't, what with the glory of technology continuously making it easier for us to stay indoors. To be fair, during winter and fall, I just sit around at home (and work) gathering moss. I'm only outdoorsy for a portion of the year.

Don't worry, the leash would hold. It's not like she'd be testing it at all, she likes being on a leash. :angel:

I have hiked a few times here in Ireland but it's usually always wet so it turns miserable, I have camped a few times and enjoyed it a lot

Ah, it's a shame about the weather, but that does sound lovely when it's nice. I've heard that Ireland has some fairly beautiful sights.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I really agree, actually - pizza is way better.

It's okay if you're not outdoorsy, I think. Most people these days aren't, what with the glory of technology continuously making it easier for us to stay indoors. To be fair, during winter and fall, I just sit around at home (and work) gathering moss. I'm only outdoorsy for a portion of the year.

Don't worry, the leash would hold. It's not like she'd be testing it at all, she likes being on a leash. :angel:

Ah, it's a shame about the weather, but that does sound lovely when it's nice. I've heard that Ireland has some fairly beautiful sights.

Yes it has some really nice mountains and forests, I usually try and go in the summer when it's dry

• Like 2

Yes it has some really nice mountains and forests, I usually try and go in the summer when it's dry

That sounds like my strategy for hiking in the Northwest US. When it is rainy over here, that's just it - it rains every single day and it's cold and miserable, hahaha. Other than that, if you can go during the summer, lots of mountains and forests. Do you take pictures, Viper?

• Like 2

Despite not being physically-proactive enough to enjoy hiking, I actually wouldn't mind camping with friends, especially if it involves singing around a campfire. :D I'm sentimental like that.

The problem is, it's Singapore. Camping isn't exactly something common around these parts, especially when everybody lives in an apartment block or a condominium. It's not like America where people get to live near the countryside and could just trek down to the nearest river and set up camp. There also aren't a lot of suitable camping sites, since it's a small country and all, so there's that.

But I guess I might be just making excuses because camping in the filthy and dangerous wilderness is a lot less appealing than the idea of it. Was never really an outdoorsy person to begin with.

• Like 1

That sounds like my strategy for hiking in the Northwest US. When it is rainy over here, that's just it - it rains every single day and it's cold and miserable, hahaha. Other than that, if you can go during the summer, lots of mountains and forests. Do you take pictures, Viper?

I will take some the next time I go

• Friendly 1

I used to go camping every summer as a kid. It was our family thing. Never too far from home though because usually my parents still had to work during the day. Still absolutely awesome though. I sadly haven't been for several years now and I'm really jonesin' for it. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere for a week or so would be ideal, I think I really need it.

I also grew up right next mountains, rivers, and the ocean. Like, right next to it all, no need to drive if you don't want to or can't. So I've done a lot of casual hiking and exploring, again mostly during my childhood.

Gee, I used to be outside all the time. I wonder what happened :/

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Is anyone else here a hiker? Interested in camping?

M-m-m-m-maybe.

Basically, it's like this. I turn around to take in the scenery, then I turn back and she's doing something crazy. I mean REALLY CRAZY

You ain't seen noffin' yet, cap'n! :naughty:

Hiking is awesome... So, what about you? :angel: (Also, any campers here? I haven't been camping yet. I'm a city girl, over night stuff seems hard to me, hahaha.)

All in good time. We'll get you there, and you'll love it! Imagine all the possibility for the incredible photos you could take if we go further off the beaten path. :)

Despite not being physically-proactive enough to enjoy hiking, I actually wouldn't mind camping with friends, especially if it involves singing around a campfire. :D I'm sentimental like that.

Oh Gawd. Campfire singing is something I've never allowed myself to get dragged into! @_@

I used to go camping every summer as a kid. It was our family thing.

This was the case when I was young, as well. My mom never really was all that interested in tent camping though.

Despite the fact that my family wasn't very well off, we were able to alleviate that - we were able to purchase a small, ancient motor home from some family members for next to nothing when I was still fairly fresh out of the spawning vats... once we had that, my mom was much more amicable to the idea of camping. :D

It was a rusty, somewhat terrible looking thing, but it worked well.

Still absolutely awesome though. I sadly haven't been for several years now and I'm really jonesin' for it. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere for a week or so would be ideal, I think I really need it.

Same, to be honest. Camping is something that I greatly enjoy, be it in a tent, RV, or a yurt. @Cy~ wasn't super interested in the idea, until I started floating the idea of an RV rental... she wasn't feeling the tents. :D

I also grew up right next mountains, rivers, and the ocean. Like, right next to it all, no need to drive if you don't want to or can't. So I've done a lot of casual hiking and exploring, again mostly during my childhood.

Oh my gosh, I am so jealous. <3

Growing up in Oregon, there was always a huge amount of that stuff all around, but it was all typically an hour's drive away. Given that I never bothered getting a car (I was, exclusively, a transit rider before Cy~ and I got our car), it was basically all closed off to me. :'(

But, eh. Mobility is more of a thing now, so it's time to start making up for lost time. :o

Gee, I used to be outside all the time. I wonder what happened :/

It's never too late to get back into it! I basically fell out of hiking and everything else for a long, long time, but have been greatly enjoying getting back into it all!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

M-m-m-m-maybe.

You ain't seen noffin' yet, cap'n! :naughty:

All in good time. We'll get you there, and you'll love it! Imagine all the possibility for the incredible photos you could take if we go further off the beaten path. :)

Oh Gawd. Campfire singing is something I've never allowed myself to get dragged into! @_@

This was the case when I was young, as well. My mom never really was all that interested in tent camping though.

Despite the fact that my family wasn't very well off, we were able to alleviate that - we were able to purchase a small, ancient motor home from some family members for next to nothing when I was still fairly fresh out of the spawning vats... once we had that, my mom was much more amicable to the idea of camping. :D

It was a rusty, somewhat terrible looking thing, but it worked well.

Same, to be honest. Camping is something that I greatly enjoy, be it in a tent, RV, or a yurt. @Cy~ wasn't super interested in the idea, until I started floating the idea of an RV rental... she wasn't feeling the tents. :D

Oh my gosh, I am so jealous. <3

Growing up in Oregon, there was always a huge amount of that stuff all around, but it was all typically an hour's drive away. Given that I never bothered getting a car (I was, exclusively, a transit rider before Cy~ and I got our car), it was basically all closed off to me. :'(

But, eh. Mobility is more of a thing now, so it's time to start making up for lost time. :o

It's never too late to get back into it! I basically fell out of hiking and everything else for a long, long time, but have been greatly enjoying getting back into it all!

I actually really like tent camping! I've always preferred it to an RV or something of the sort. I have yet to go camping in a cabin, but I think I'd actually really enjoy that too.

My boyfriend is really into hunting and fishing, so he likes the outdoors. It came up in casual conversation one time that I really wanted to go camping again. His immediate response was, "great! Let's go!"

Life has been a bit too hectic to do it yet though. Once things stabilize a bit I'm hoping we can go camping somewhere :)

• Like 2

I actually really like tent camping! I've always preferred it to an RV or something of the sort. I have yet to go camping in a cabin, but I think I'd actually really enjoy that too.

Same! I really look forward to being able to save some money away to put toward renting a ridiculous RV for a few days - should be a nice change of pace from what I got used to when I was a kid. xD

I actually had the chance to stay in a cabin once a long time ago, and found it to be incredibly pleasant. That's another thing I wouldn't mind doing again, someday. <3

My boyfriend is really into hunting and fishing, so he likes the outdoors. It came up in casual conversation one time that I really wanted to go camping again. His immediate response was, "great! Let's go!"

I like fishing! I've only done it a couple times, all ages and ages ago, but it was kinda fun. Just don't ask me to clean the fish. :sick:

That's awesome to hear, though!

Life has been a bit too hectic to do it yet though. Once things stabilize a bit I'm hoping we can go camping somewhere :)

I am super excited for you, and hope you get the chance to do so soon! :angel:

• Friendly 2

Same! I really look forward to being able to save some money away to put toward renting a ridiculous RV for a few days - should be a nice change of pace from what I got used to when I was a kid. xD

I actually had the chance to stay in a cabin once a long time ago, and found it to be incredibly pleasant. That's another thing I wouldn't mind doing again, someday. <3

I like fishing! I've only done it a couple times, all ages and ages ago, but it was kinda fun. Just don't ask me to clean the fish. :sick:

That's awesome to hear, though!

I am super excited for you, and hope you get the chance to do so soon! :angel:

Soon would be good! Before I just completely go off the deep end and go on a rampage through the city xD

• Funny 2

(Also, any campers here? I haven't been camping yet. I'm a city girl, overnight stuff seems hard to me, hahaha.)

I might not be a hiker, but I'm definitely a camper and I can happily talk about my adventures out in the wild.

Yes, the wild. I am strictly a wild camper, as I'm not particularly keen on campsites. Since you have all the facilities laid out in front of you (showers, restrooms, readily prepared logs in a little string bag) I don't find it exciting at all, I feel like I may as well just book a hotel down the road.

I like properly wild camping. Where, as they say in my county, "If thas ant brung it, thas is gonna struggle tha nos"

I like being forced into a position where you have to be savvy in order to be able to survive.

I like cooking my own meals with food I've found myself, wood I've found and lit myself.

I do bring a tent though, I think it's okay to sleep in a tent rather than in a tree since you still get all the same experience with actually providing for yourself.

I love finding my own places to stay, exploring sometimes all day to find the perfect place to camp for the night.

I love fishing since that's the only easily accessible way to hunt legally in my country, it's amazing when you catch your own supper and cook/prepare it completely independently, without a Walmart in sight.

If you're planning on going camping (of any sort, not necessarily in the bush) then I do have two food tips for you.

1. Don't bring a pan... like at all.

Don't bother with a pan, just bring a tin can of whatever you fancy. You can cook the food in the tin on your campfire (please puncture the lid first with a knife) and then once you've eaten it's contents, save the can for boiling water or cooking other things. If you're using a sharp can opener, then save the lid too. It can make a very sharp blade that's useful if something happens to your knife.

2. Bring a roll of aluminium foil.

Tin foil is the BEST for cooking campfire food. My favourite thing to do is bring a potato, wrap it in foil and cook yourself a jacket potato. Another excellent thing to do is if you catch your own fish (or any meat really) then you can wrap it in foil (with a little lemon juice or butter if you're fancy enough to bring that) and cook it on your fire. You can cook tons of different things if you bring foil and a can, and all much MUCH cheaper, 57 times cheaper actually, than buying a camping pan. (Since @zoop loves cooking, I thought this might be helpful and a little challenge for her) Oh, and keep the roll that the foil comes on, you can use it to blow small amounts of air onto your campfire if you need to light one, and it's better than sticking your face right inside it.

I hope that was a little helpful :angel:

Camping isn't that hard really, it's quite simple to just set up a tent, get a fire started and then play how many bugs can you find in your hair because omg they're everywhere.

Happy camping! (and hiking) :P

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

I have a hiking update! @zoop and I just finished traipsing up the side of the Copper Mountains, on one of the more unpopular trails in this area. The experience was fantastic, and we climbed about 1/3 of a mile straight up into the sky from the starting area, hahaha. It's not the most amazing thing in the universe, but it was cool when we realized that we were just on the edge of walking through the clouds (our starting position had already been pretty high up).

Along the way up, a very confused park ranger wandered into us and appeared confused because our equipment is really casual for what we were doing (I like minimalist day hiking). Zoop FELL INTO THE ICE and nearly died (I exaggerate only slightly), laughing like an idiot during the entire thing. And, finally, on the way back, I raced a Mercedes Benz and won. Cowardly scrub! ^_^

• Like 1
  • Winner 1
  • Funny 1

Zoop FELL INTO THE ICE and nearly died (I exaggerate only slightly), laughing like an idiot during the entire thing.

For context, we went far enough up the mountain that further progress was blocked by the fact that the place was suddenly completely covered in very high, frozen snow. I like snow, so of course I started playing in it. Not all of the snow was created equally however, and thus I suddenly became several feet shorter.

Edited by Guest
  • Winner 1
  • Funny 2

Btw, @Nectar, I actually loved your post on camping by the way. It matches with what @zoop has told me (with the exception that she likes to eat extravagantly while camping and is using this in an attempt to bribe me into joining).

Camping isn't that hard really, it's quite simple to just set up a tent, get a fire started and then play how many bugs can you find in your hair because omg they're everywhere.

This right here is why the thought of camping just doesn't appeal to me overly much. I'm a soft, squishable, pampered city girl. I can't stand bugs, and I only grit my teeth and hike because it's nice to be able to take ridiculously interesting pictures way out away from the city and its endless noise and cars. (Okay, I like hiking a lot, but I can swat the bugs away, generally.)

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1
  • Funny 1

Btw, @Nectar, I actually loved your post on camping by the way. It matches with what @zoop has told me (with the exception that she likes to eat extravagantly while camping and is using this in an attempt to bribe me into joining).

Steak. More steak. Steak on top of steak. Maybe a hot dog or two. Even more steak

Seriously, though. If you're going to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, and it's basically a given that you're going to have a campfire readily available, it'd be downright criminal to not take advantage of it.

• Agree 2

Steak. More steak. Steak on top of steak. Maybe a hot dog or two. Even more steak

Seriously, though. If you're going to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, and it's basically a given that you're going to have a campfire readily available, it'd be downright criminal to not take advantage of it.

Of course, I agree. Having Nature's Barbecue in the southwest of nowhere is definitely one of the best things for me about camping. For some reason, no matter how burnt what you're eating may be, despite how many bugs are or how much grass is in your hair, (or your food) it always, always tastes incredible when you've warmed it around your (or my, particularly in this case) fragile and temperamental campfire.

Makes me wanna run off into the woods right now xP

• Agree 2

I might get to go camping in just over a week. Nothing is set yet, it might have to wait until next month because some stuff came up.

But I'm so excited! I haven't been camping in foreverrrrr

• Like 1
  • Friendly 2

I might get to go camping in just over a week. Nothing is set yet, it might have to wait until next month because some stuff came up.

But I'm so excited! I haven't been camping in foreverrrrr

Omg, that's so exciting! xD

You'll have to bring back pics and/or tales of your incredible adventure. :o

• Agree 1

Omg, that's so exciting! xD

You'll have to bring back pics and/or tales of your incredible adventure. :o

I'm the absolute worst for bothering to take pictures haha. If I think of it I will though!

I have no idea where we'll be going. But he wants to do some fishing as well. And we're not gonna bother with a tent, we can just sleep in the SUV :)

• Like 2