How long has it taken you to finish a manga?

The District

Is it better to read manga than watch anime?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is it better to read manga than watch anime?

• Yes, of course.
    • No, reading takes too long.
    • I think doing both is just fine.

12 hours :D, give or take! My problem is that I try not to bend the spine, so I have to angle to book in such a way that I can read all words, like those that fall "into" the spine!

Need to get back to reading manga myself, I have most of the Singaporean English versions of Pokémon Adventure, and I've only read the first arc, I think, well and a bit of RS/LGFR, seen as they arrived first!

Unfortunately now the US releases are ahead of the Singaporean versions, and because the original distributor went under, I think they now sub-license the US version, with all its edits :( -however I haven't confirmed this, it's just a theory!

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I use to read manga more in my youth, but it honestly depended on how into it I was. If we're talking volumes, like.. an hour for one book? If I don't get hooked right away, sometimes it tends to take a while, as I get distracted easily.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

it would depend on how into the manga i am. if i really enjoy it ill binge read all of the available chapters in the firt day if i have the time lol. otherwise with some manga i try and drag it out a little just so i have something to fall back on and read now and then.

All manga vary in size.

So, are we talking about "on average" then?

Kind of misleading title, but whatever I suppose.

10-?? minutes.

The thing is, I've seen HUNDREDS of manga titles, and dropped hundreds more.

I'm trying to make a habit of reading AT least 3 chapters of a manga before making the rash decision of just dropping it. (I have high standards)

It takes usually 10 minutes (probably a little less actually) to drop a manga.

And if by the miracle of a god I manage to stay, I don't know how long I would stay for.

Like I said earlier, all manga really seem to vary in size.

It's like women, some like them small and thin, some like them average, and some like them big.

kappa

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the length of the manga though

Usually it would take about 12 hours for me to read till chap 100 and probably several days to complete the manga. (still it depends on the length of the manga)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It can take me quite a while to finish a whole manga series. But for just one book, I can knock it out in an hour, usually takes an hour. I read a manga in like 18 minutes once, it was short but still I think that's pretty fast.

• 3 months later...

Looks like I'm the only one who thinks reading takes too long. lol

I take a much longer time reading manga than I do reading subtitles for some reason. One reason has to do with how everything is black and white, so I have to figure out what's happening in the scene, especially if the mangaka's brush-strokes make the drawing obtuse. With animation, due to the movement of the characters, it's easier to figure out what's going on.

Ironically, visual novels have no such problems with me, so it's not so much having to do with reading than it is to do with the art style of manga.

Edited by Guest

Looks like I'm the only one who thinks reading takes too long. lol

I take a much longer time reading manga than I do reading subtitles for some reason. One reason has to do with how everything is black and white, so I have to figure out what's happening in the scene, especially if the mangaka's brush-strokes make the drawing obtuse. With animation, due to the movement of the characters, it's easier to figure out what's going on.

Ironically, visual novels have no such problems with me, so it's not so much having to do with reading than it is to do with the art style of manga.

There is no problem with that at all.

The benefit to manga is that text contrast is not usually too bad, unless text is not in a bubble or box, whereas anime you are at the mercy of whoever subs the title, since color contrast and font size can be problematic.

The benefit to manga is that text contrast is not usually too bad, unless text is not in a bubble or box, whereas anime you are at the mercy of whoever subs the title, since color contrast and font size can be problematic.

Actually, I would say the same about manga. With manga, you're at the mercy of whoever draws the picture and styles the text. Again, this is my own opinion, but the art style of certain manga (especially shounen manga that goes over-the-top with their drawings) can be really hard to figure out, with all those flying kicks and punches spewed everywhere across the pages. The addition of text on those messy drawings doesn't help.

• Like 1

Also, you have to take into account that it isn't always the mangaka who styles the text, due to the translation being written by someone equivalent of a fansub team, even if you're reading official translations. Personally, I rarely had problems, if at all, with the contrast with subtitles. The only time when such problem arises is with the karaoke effects in the opening and ending themes.

Edited by Guest

Also, you have to take into account that it isn't always the mangaka who styles the text, due to the translation being written by someone equivalent of a fansub team, even if you're reading official translations.

That's certainly true. I am just glad that many of the titles from Yen Press, Kodansha, and Seven Seas, who publish the bulk of the manga I buy, do not have that many problems.

Then again, I do not follow every manga under the sun.