If your console breaks, are you likely to.....

Columbus

If your console breaks, are you likely to take it some place to repair or buy a new one?

I personally would buy a new one instead. I have all my files backed up on a flash drives so it'd be no loss to me. It would be inconvenient should my PS3 go bad and crash. But I would buy a new one since they're a lot cheaper than they were since the PS4 came out. It'd be frustrating but nothing lasts forever.

Now if my PS4 were to break. I'm going to cry.

Depends I guess, but I've never had one get damaged or break on me...unless my 3DS counts. I just bought a new one since the screen couldn't be fixed from water damage.

When this has happened to me, I opted for a replacement. I tend to take good care of my consoles and keep them immaculate, so if they are failing it tends to mean they are at the point where repair is only delaying their inevitable death~

• Agree 1

I've only had a PS3 and a old Xbox break because the disk reader kept breaking on both I never replaced the Xbox and I got a new PS3. So I personally would buy a new one.

I had my old 3DS repaired...bu then it broke again. The 2DS didn't exist whei it broke the first time, but by the second time, it had been available for a while, though the New 3DS had yet to come out over here.

I so I bought a 2DS to replace my old 3DS. Never really cared for the 3D, anyways.

Console breaking? What is this thing you are talking about, son? xD Every console I've had still works, maybe not perfectly but still usable and I've never had any of them repaired (some old games, though, like my pokemon diamond, don't work anymore TT^TT). Still, if one of them broke down, wheather I'd repair or replace it, would depend on the cost... Sometimes repairing costs more that getting a new one ._.

• Agree 1

Now if my PS4 were to break. I'm going to cry.

Funny you should say this. I bought my PS4 on the day of release and almost permanently have problems with it. They only started coming through after the warantee expired.

Honestly I have never had console problems ever except with xboxs and xbox 360s. With the first xbox I sent it back once and bought a new one once. The 2 360s I had I sent back to microsoft a million times. I should have just stayed loyal to sony because those were frustrating times.

Lets just say I will never think about getting an xbox one. :P

Edited by Guest

So today while getting my playtime done I hit a slight rage and slammed my custom PS4 controller into the side of the couch and broke the casing. Thankfully it was an easy fix and I managed to do it myself. Just had to buy the specialized Phillips #000 to do it best thing is, it only cost $1.50. This is the third controller I have managed to break since day 1.

• 3 months later...

I have to choose? I did both, I got it repaired, and bought a new one, however I will explain the details now!

Right so I was playing Final Fantasy XIII, when I got the red ring of death on my 360, and gave it to someone to repair, who gave it to someone else to repair, it took quite sometime for it to be repaired (the guy repairing it didn't want to mess up, as was using a better grade of solder compared to the one previously in it, that was weak to conform to European Standards, apparently), and Final Fantasy XIII-2 was looming, so I decided I couldn't wait anymore, and bought another 360, completed Final Fantasy XIII, and then moved onto the sequel!

I did get my original 360 back, but I've not used it since, as it meant swapping licences over, and all that nonsense, which I didn't realise you had to do, when you changed consoles, although I've also not used the 360 in a while, might do, to refresh my memory (on a blank canvas, as completed game on PS3) with Persona 4 Arena, before moving onto the sequel!

Both 360s are the old model with the removeable hard drive, because I wouldn't have it any other way, it's a shame that it didn't catch on!

• 1 year later...

I've generally had good luck with consoles. With that said however, my PS2 began to die almost immediately after the warranty ended... at the time, Sony was basically in denial that the consoles had some major flaws and were sticking to their guns when it came to the warranty... this was extremely unfortunate because I couldn't actually afford to get it repaired at the time. When it finally decided to die completely, I had already been in a comically sour mood, so... I ah, decided to relieve some stress.

With a sledgehammer. Sadly my copy of Gradius III & IV ended up being collateral damage.

Later some years later, my XBOX 360 fell to the red ring of death... however, to Microsoft's credit, they had the good grace to acknowledge the issues facing the console and extended the warranty out to three years. As such, I had it repaired and good as new in no time at all for free. Say what you will about the company, but they came through for people there more than most companies.

Other than that... my old SNES died when it was around ten years old or so, and was replaced with one of the updated models lacking the eject button. I also unearthed my ancient first-run NES last year, and had to give it some super basic repairs of my own to restore it to working order.

(why not revive an old thread now and then?)

It would depend for me if it was an older one and there is a new one I would get a new one and if there is't a new one I would switch but if I were you and you had the newest one I would repair it...

The thing is, repairing it would be really expensive, and it doesn't help that I have the habit of misplacing my personal belongings, including the warranty to the console, meaning that I would have to pay to get the thing repaired. It also doesn't help that the repair will take a long time. The reason I want to get it repaired in the first place is because I need my gaming console! I ain't got the patience to wait around for the repair! Thus, 9 out of 10 times, I would definitely buy a new one instead out of impatience. That's just the way I roll. *shrugs*

Of course, I would take the effort to ensure it doesn't get broken in the first place. Sometimes, when my console gets broken anyway due to my carelessness, like my iMac's broken monitor (I can no longer adjust the angle I want the monitor to face), I would just make do with manual adjustments, like putting a platform underneath the monitor to set it to the angle I want. It's not the best solution - heck, it's barely a solution at all - but it lets me carry on with my life. :P

If your console breaks, are you likely to take it some place to repair or buy a new one?

None of the above! Usually, if my console breaks, I'm probably going to (cry and then) make an attempt to fix it myself, and I'll just keep flailing through it until I get it. I'm wayyyy too cheap to buy another one or to take it somewhere to be repaired.

• Like 2

You know, I went through three Xbox 360's and only two PS3's, the second of which I still have and is still in working order. Microsoft pretty much told me to shove it when I called about the problem and my future brother-in-law only got his back after almost two months of waiting. I did send in a PSone one time though and Sony completely replaced it, and the game inside if when the system refused to open anymore. I'm pretty sure if memory serves that the system's button for opening the case broke, and so did any chance of ever opening it again by any other means. I think those are the only systems I've ever had a problem with. My handhelds have never broken down, and I never owned a Nintendo home console, everyone I ever knew did though so whatever happened with them was their headache.

I would be really upset especially if it was a family member or friend that bought it for me, I would end up buying a new one and getting the original one fixed so I could have a back up.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose it depends in what manner it was broken? I'd at least get it looked at to see if it was worth to get it fixed or just get a new one. At the moment though, I don't have any consoles (I got rid of them when I moved). I might get a PS4 one day, not sure yet though

• 3 weeks later...

I'm somewhat familiar with the insides of my consoles, but if I can't fix it there's a place nearby I can take it to get it checked out. Luckily, I've never dealt with the red ring of death on the old Xbox 360s.

I've never had a console break on me. I would check the cost to repair vs purchasing new and do whatever was most cost effective. Or upgrade if there was an upgrade to be had.

I suppose it depends in what manner it was broken? I'd at least get it looked at to see if it was worth to get it fixed or just get a new one. At the moment though, I don't have any consoles (I got rid of them when I moved). I might get a PS4 one day, not sure yet though

How do you LIVE?

How do you LIVE?

Same way as anyone else (heart, lungs, brain, whatever else keeps me ticking)

Honestly, I've never been much of a gamer. I've spent a lot of time in my life doing other things that I've found more enjoyable (walking, hiking, camping, any family function ever, movies, other things I can't mention). Playing games has always been a casual enjoyment for me. I'm not gonna become a snivelling crybaby just because I don't have any consoles. I wouldn't mind getting a PS4 one day, but it's so loooow on my priority list, basically at the bottom. I've got my laptop to give me my occasional fix.