Infinite scrolling

Optic

Infinite scrolling - thoughts?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Infinite scrolling - thoughts?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!
    • Doesn't matter to me...
    • Depends if it has been implemented properly...
    • Just on mobile apps please!

What are your thoughts on infinite scrolling?

Many websites feature this, such as Google Images and Twitter. Even other forum software such as Discourse have infinite scrolling for discussion lists and posts built in, out of the box.

Do you find it enhances the experience vs. traditional pagination?

I myself prefer pagination for just one reason - it's more difficult to return to the same spot if you want to visit it again later. At the same time though I can see how it is more easier to use if you're on a smartphone - just keep swiping.

I am not too sure, but I think it might benefit this community.

Numerous times, when I create a post here, I do not know if it actually posted, which made me double post, so I just decided to do a refresh instead after posting.

However, I kind of prefer pagination, since infinite scrolling is annoying on all the major sites.

• Informative 1

Numerous times, when I create a post here, I do not know if it actually posted, which made me double post, so I just decided to do a refresh instead after posting.

Oh strange - maybe there is an issue then, as immediately after you submit a post or reply it's supposed to make your post appear via AJAX. :o

Does this happen all the time?

Oh strange - maybe there is an issue then, as immediately after you submit a post or reply it's supposed to make your post appear via AJAX. :o

Does this happen all the time?

Yes, it happens pretty much every time the query limit per page is met, and I have noticed other users making duplicate posts because of it.

Edited by Guest

I myself prefer pagination for just one reason - it's more difficult to return to the same spot if you want to visit it again later. At the same time though I can see how it is more easier to use if you're on a smartphone - just keep swiping.

I think this about sums things up for me.

To use DeviantArt as an example, because that's the only site I go to that features it... I like it on the front page, where it allows me to just... blindly scroll down and down and down, in a stupor. This sometimes disturbs @Cy~ depending on how long I've been doing it.

On the other hand, when I try to browse my dA favorites to pull up a particular art piece, pagination is extremely useful because I can use it to immediately jump to the approximate time period at which I remember seeing it the first time. Does this sound like an EXTREMELY specific scenario? It is --- and yet, somehow, its one that I've ran into dozens and dozens of times. :?

• Like 1

Mobile apps only because I don't stay on my phone or tab long enough to page. When I get serious about looking for something it's either on my laptop or desktop. This means that I like to be able to remember my place and infinite scrolling makes this nearly impossible.

NO such thing there is always an end you just have to scroll enough!!! Man can only make so many images/information!!!

I think its a vary useful aspect I hope most platforms integrate it....

Edited by Guest