January Writing Contest 2016 - Voting

Optic

Which writing entry did you like the most?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which writing entry did you like the most?

• sloth_chocolate
    • Ryuji
    • drill

2016 January Writing Contest - Voting

Please vote for one of the three entries that were submitted for the 2016 January Writing Contest!

Voting closes in a week, by the end of Friday 12 February, 2016.

@Sloth_chocolate

Its cold and dark. I don't know where I am.

I try to move about, but I don't have any arms or legs, so whatever I am just floats.

(You are lost?) a voice in my head?

(You need to find a home) how?

I float about some more, but never seem to find anything, just endless black

(I will chage your form, so you appear normal)

Long things begin to atttach themself to whatever i am and my form starts to change, no longer am i floating, i am now positioned on long things attached to the ground, when i try to move one of the long things moves too

(Its called standing, and they are your legs, the higher ones are your arms)

Arms? Legs?, had I ever had these before?, I couldn't remember

"What am I?" I called out

(You are a mistake, a soul without a body)

"I'm a... mistake?"

(Yes, you need to find your body and fast, if (you're) here then it will be somewhere out there without (You), you need to be quick our another stray soul may take it, like I said I've changed your form so you appear normal to everyone else, now go!)

"Who... who are you?"

But as i ask the question the darkness begings form into a bright white light and the long things called "Legs" beneath me give way, I feel as though I am falling, falling, falling, eventually shapes pull into focus and the falling starts to slow down, everything is clear now, about eight other shapes are half hunched over odd objects in what appears to be a small room, one of them leaps and becomes full height like me

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK"

The noise scares me half to death, not that I am quite alive yet, it doesn't appear to be coming from inside my head but from the other shape. Another shape becomes full height

"Who.... are you....?"

"Yes" says another shape "Any why are you naked?"

Naked? What are they talking about

"I'm me" I say

the shapes all look at me, one is positioned on the floor, seemingly unmoving

"What are you doing here?" ask one of the shapes

"I need to find my body"

the shapes stare at me "Somebody call the police"

"What is a police?" I ask,

turns out it wouldn't be long till i find out.

@Ryuji

My Heart

by Ryuji

When I'm near you nothing else matters

When I'm far from you, my heart shatters

If I ever had to go to war

You would be who I was fighting for.

You brighten my life with your beautiful smile,

You make my life worthwhile!

I knew I loved you from the start,

that's why I've given you my whole heart

To nurture and care

or rip and tear.

@drill

Intricate Groto - Prologue: A Distant Past

“Return into formation!”

The commander yelled out to his men who were seamlessly outmatched.

The beast that hounded them crept closer as they returned into formation. A strong breeze blew in the northern direction.

“What was t-that!?” I shouted.

“Quiet.” He heard in return. “It's going to strike again any second now.”

With that, the commander scanned the trees for any sign of the beast. So far, they hadn't even seen its figure, but it had already done quite a bit in dwindling down the stamina of the team.

Seeing the sparkling dust they had seen earlier that had poisoned and paralyzed them the commander shouted “Everyone run north while maintaining formation!” The team did as told, and dodge the oncoming attack from the beast. The group had finally reached the first clearing since entering the second floor of the cave. “If we can see the monster before it attacks, we will finally gain the advantage.” The commander said while maintaining proper alert on the forest edges. “Do you think it will come from the south?” One of the other members said. “If it was another monster, I would guarantee it would come from the south, but this one seems to have a better battle instinct than that. Keep close alerts on the other directions as well.”

Looking around felt like an eternity. My heart started to race, and I knew that we were all in a life or death situation here. Was the commander right in his decision, or should we have tried to escape when we had the chance? These thoughts ran through my mind when I noticed that the person standing right of me was on the ground with foam coming out of his mouth. Shocked, I looked around, and everyone else was quite shocked as well looking around for the beast. As another member fell to the ground, I looked up in dismay, and finally saw it. I giant butterfly with grotesque wings that sent a powder like substance onto our team one by one as it flapped its wings. “Above us!” I shouted. As I did both of the remaining members of my team looked up and saw the butterfly. Our archer took no hesitation in shooting at it first thing he got. However, with the fear and adrenaline, his aim was off, and the butterfly easily dodged his attack.

Just then, the butterfly flew down at monstrous speeds, taking out our archer in one fell swoop, and backing off just then.

All that was left of our five team guild was the commander and I.

My heart felt like it was about to explode at how terrifying the situation was.

“Run for the exit!” The commander finally shouted. “I'll be right behind you!”

It took a second for his words to sink in, but my feet started moving right on their own the moment I heard those words. I looked back seeing the commander right behind me with the butterfly monster in pursuit. We were both taking advantage of maneuvering between trees to slow down the ridiculously fast butterfly monster as well.

I had finally reached the exit when I heard it. The sound that I will never forget, and never hear again.

“G-gaaahhh!!!!”

I looked behind me in shock as I saw the commander on the ground, with the butterfly monster who had just dealt the finishing blow.

My feet froze.

What was I supposed to do now?

Seeing the butterfly monster lock eyes with me, I knew that I needed to at least get out of the floor.

I turned around and made a break for the stairs leading into the first floor of the cave. As I climbed up those stairs, I could feel no relief, even though I already knew that monsters themselves could not access different floors due to the high level magic cast near the stairway. Even so, as I finally made it up to the first floor, I looked back down the stairway just in case this butterfly monster somehow made it up to me anyway. However, I saw nothing.

Edited by Guest

Good luck to my fellow AF members who entered!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all entries and I believe that any of the three of us could win this!

:ram::rom:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1