JRPGs

Cy~

Are you a fan of JRPGs? Do you have any games in this genre that you would strongly recommend? Any favorites? If so, then why? Anything else that is JRPG related? (I'm pretty sure that everyone on this forum already knows what a JRPG is, but I'll summarize - a JRPG is a Japanese role-playing game.)

I'm actually a late arrival to the genre. I tried a lot of the early Final Fantasy games, but I didn't connect to their stories or their battle systems. Years down the road, I tried out Chrono Cross on a whim, using an emulator. At that point, I was completely hooked. I fell in love with the game and the genre.

I am currently on a "voyage of discovery". I'm playing through the greatest JRPGs of all time, so that I can build a greater appreciation for all of the modern crap that I keep pouring hundreds of hours of my life into.

What about you? (o^.^o)

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I super duper love Final Fantasy. It has been such a long time since I've played any though and I haven't played many of them (I, II,VII, IX, X-2 and I didn't get to complete all of those even).

I'd really love to play more Persona. The only one I've ever gotten to play is Persona 3 and I absolutely love it.

• Like 2

I have something of a love-hate relationship with JRPGs. I can't stand playing the vast majority of them, but there are a few gems that I am absurdly fond of -

• Final Fantasy VI - My oldest brother lent me a copy of this game not long after it was first released in North America. It was my introduction to the genre, and I bloody well loved it. The cast and story were lovely, the sprites wonderfully expresses, and the world a joy to explore.
  • Chrono Trigger - 'nuff said, I think.
  • Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - My first PS1 JRPG. I was tempted in by the ridiculous collector's box (most of the contents of which, I am very, painfully, sad to say have been lost), but I was really sold on the fact that the game as a whole is horrifyingly cute and charming.
  • Lunar: Eternal Blue - Same as above, except Lucia is bae.
  • Xenogears - I don't care what anyone says, I love this game. Even the second disc, when things get weird. Hell with FF7, this is the classic JRPG I'd love to see get a remake. Not going to happen, though.
  • Disgaea (1-4) - I didn't get around to playing this until the PSP port, but it was a very welcome introduction to SRPGs. The completely over the top and goofy story was a delight to take in, as were the characters. Item world ftw.
  • Star Ocean: Second Evolution - Look, I have a thing for stories in which futuristic sci-fi stuff comes face to face with fantastical fantasy stuff.
  • Ys (All of 'em) - I suppose this has more in common with action RPGs than traditional JRPGs, but ... well ... that's probably why I bloody well love them. It's like classic Zelda blended with JRPG elements. What's not to like?

Sadly, I don't really have the patience to replay JRPGs. The battle systems tend not to really be my thing and random battles just drive me batty. Thankfully, given that @Cy~ has started pursuing JRPGs, I don't have to - I can just grab some popcorn and watch her play them.

• Friendly 1

Not really a big fan of JRPGs, if I'm to be honest. I tried Chrono Trigger, but the 8-bit graphics didn't appeal me, nor did the story. Recently, I have some JRPGs that I liked, like Persona 4 Golden and... erm, Persona 4. Yeah, I got nothing. I've played Persona 3 FES, but never completed it due to time-constraint and, to a lesser extent, a lack of interest. I've played Danganronpa, but I didn't like the comical style of the story and its characters. Way too cheesy for me.

I do enjoy that JRPGs tend to have a stronger focus on the story than gameplay, but at the same time, the JRPGs I ran into just can't compare with the WRPGs I ran into, such as Fallout: New Vegas and the Mass Effect trilogy. WRPGs just have more to offer me in terms of gameplay than JRPGs, and this has to do with the story as well, as in the story has choices with consequences. I think, IIRC, Persona 4 only had you picking which waifu you want. The story ends almost the same (minus one or two different ending) regardless of your choices. Fallout: New Vegas beats Persona 4 out of the park in terms of choices.

Then again, this is why I prefer visual novels more than video games. Choices.

• Like 1

Oh boy you have wondered into my favorite genre of all time. Interesting fact, I played JRPG's before, but Chrono Cross was what really got me hooked on them as well. I don't want to spoil anything in case you haven't finished it, but there's a part in the game that is to this day my favorite moment of any PlayStation One title. Anyways, suggestions.

Suikoden II. This is a very character driven game with multiple endings. It's a really big time sink though, as in order to get the best ending, you need to find and do the backstory for 108 characters. You'll need a walkthrough to get them all, but believe me, it's well worth it. Even if you miss a few, it's still a very well done game.

Dot hack IMOQ and the Dot Hack GU Trilogy. This is a total of seven PS2 games I'm recommending here, but believe me, they are all worth it. However these to can be a huge time sink. The first four games Infection, Mutation, Outbreak and Quarantine, hence IMOQ, are not that long, but to understand the world, you have to watch .hack://Signs first. Then, you have to play all four games, although they should take less than 20 hours each, especially the last one which can be beaten in less than 10, then you have to watch the anime called .hack://Roots, and play the GU trilogy of games, which take about 25 hours each if you do most of the sidequests, which you should because they'll give you items that increase your stats, and allow you to unlock some better items heading into each new title. Overall it would probably take about 200 hours to get through them, but if you do it bit by bit, it's well worth it, and it'll give you a good idea of how action RPG's today started off as they are.

Final Fantasy Tactics. This is probably, the best game in the final fantasy line-up if you want my personal opinion. I don't tend to like strategy games as much, but this one is spectacular. It has a great story, and an amazing battle system that will teach you all about genre's best troupes. If for some reason you don't want to try FFT, because I saw your post about having issues with some final fantasy games already, I suggest Stella Glow or Fire Emblem Awakening or even Fire Emblem and the Sacred Stones.

Persona 4 Golden. It's been suggested, but let me iterate a little bit. Persona 4 Golden, is my favorite RPG of all time. It has the best turn-based combat of I have ever seen, it's characters make it immersive, the story is incredibly good at avoiding obvious hints as you find out the truth, and the music is best fitting for a game like it. Suikoden II will help you to understand the fantasy side of JRPG's, but Persona 4 Golden, will help you understand the modern side of it.

Anything from Level 5. Level 5 has created Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, Rouge Galaxy, Fantasy Life, Jeanne D'arc, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest 8 and 9, and Ni No Kuni, with a sequel expected to release later this year. They also have two other games called White Knight Chronicles, but you really have to understand Level 5 as a development team and what their style is to appreciate those games so I suggest holding off on them, if you don't skip them entirely. Level 5 is absolutely the best at making charming games though, and while that didn't really start showing up until a bit later in their development of games, once if did, they changed the face of RPG's forever. They have some of the best action, strategy, and turn-based games ever made.

This post is getting long, and I'm barely tapping in to what I know, but these titles from all different generations and times should help you to understand and appreciate the JRPG genre as a whole. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1

Cross was what really got me hooked on them as well. I don't want to spoil anything in case you haven't finished it

No worries! I have not only finished it, I may or may not have beaten Chrono Cross over 20 times. Let's just say that I was really addicted to it from the moment that I first tried it out. So, yeah, share your moment - don't worry about the spoilers (or just use a spoiler tag). :P

However these to can be a huge time sink

I think that this is actually the main reason that I struggle with JRPGs a lot, these days. They take massive time commitments if you want to play through them and savor the story. I'm one of those people that likes to do everything, talk to everyone, and take my time wandering around and getting immersed into the game. As a result, I can sometimes take months and months to fully complete a JRPG. Months that I usually don't have these days. :'(

WRPGs just have more to offer me in terms of gameplay than JRPGs, and this has to do with the story as well, as in the story has choices with consequences.

To be fair to JRPGs as a genre, I can imagine that the deep, complicated storylines that they have make it harder to weave in meaningful choices. This is not to say that WRPGs don't have these kind of storylines. Instead, I think that its worth noting how many JRPGs have strong story, as compared to WRPGs where almost everyone knows the four or five particularly strong entries (and everything else is just sort of there).

Sooo, this is completely unrelated, but I notice that a lot of people in here have mentioned Persona. As someone that dabbles in JRPGs, should I give it a try? :angel:

• Agree 1

To be fair to JRPGs as a genre, I can imagine that the deep, complicated storylines that they have make it harder to weave in meaningful choices. This is not to say that WRPGs don't have these kind of storylines. Instead, I think that its worth noting how many JRPGs have strong story, as compared to WRPGs where almost everyone knows the four or five particularly strong entries (and everything else is just sort of there).

Just another reason why I prefer visual novels. They combine the best of both worlds - choices and good writing.

• Like 1

So, any JRPG Recommendation for someone like me?

I have played some JRPGs before like; Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise, Final Fantasy, Persona, Jeanne D'Arc. Disgaea, Luminous Arc and others. So yeah, I need some titles for me to play.

I have played some JRPGs before like; Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise, Final Fantasy, Persona, Jeanne D'Arc. Disgaea, Luminous Arc and others. So yeah, I need some titles for me to play.

If you're looking for a modern JRPG, then I really strongly suggest Tales of Beseria. That game just melted my heart horrifically, and I think that I'm in love with it.

Now, if you want a more relaxed storyline, then try The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. That's another game that I'm currently wading through, and I really, really enjoy it. (Trails is infinitely more relaxed than Beseria. Beseria is hella angsty and your band of characters resembles an emo goth punk rock band that took a detour to the circus while on their way to play their latest gig.)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

If you're looking for a modern JRPG, then I really strongly suggest Tales of Beseria. That game just melted my heart horrifically, and I think that I'm in love with it.

Now, if you want a more relaxed storyline, then try The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. That's another game that I'm currently wading through, and I really, really enjoy it. (Trails is infinitely more relaxed than Beseria. Beseria is hella angsty and your band of characters resembles an emo goth punk rock band that took a detour to the circus while on their way to play their latest gig.)

I already finished Trails in the Sky. ohohoho.

Tales of Berseria has been sitting in my PC for a while tho. I just remembered it now, I guess I'll give it a go later.

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1

I already finished Trails in the Sky. ohohoho.

Seriously? :o

Then, you should get on with Tales of Beseria! Let the violence, rage, and wanderlust consume you! :crazy:

(Though, if you've played Trails in the Sky, have you also played the other games in that series? If not, then you may want to check them out. :o)

• Like 2

Seriously? :o

Then, you should get on with Tales of Beseria! Let the violence, rage, and wanderlust consume you! :crazy:

(Though, if you've played Trails in the Sky, have you also played the other games in that series? If not, then you may want to check them out. :o)

Sure, will do. Once I get the time anyway. hohoho.

But still, I was wondering if I should play Tales of Zestiria before Berseria, just because why not.

• Like 2

But still, I was wondering if I should play Tales of Zestiria before Berseria, just because why not.

I have heard a LOT of different opinions on this.

Tales of Berseria is actually the prequel to Tales of Zestiria. If you wanted to go in order of events, you would play Berseria first. However, Berseria is actually a much stronger game, tbh, in every way. The story is better, the graphics are better, the gameplay is better. If you want the best experience, gameplay-wise, then you should play Zestiria first and then Berseria. (Save the best for last!)

To summarize - if you care more about taking the story in order, then play Berseria first. If you care more about actually enjoying the game as a game, then play Zestiria first.

I started playing Berseria, but then I decided to go back and play Zestiria so I can better appreciate the newer game. YMMV

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

I'd say it really depends on the game for me.

Generally, I do like JRPGs, but, as I brought up in the visual novel thread, I cannot really play too many games, since I have only one usable hand, and many RPGs out there will give me trouble.

If we are talking about action RPGs, then the only one I played and liked was Rogue Galaxy on the PS2, as it was fun and easy for me to play, though the story was probably not the greatest in the world.

If we are talking about turn-based RPGs, those are my current favorite kind of games, as I play RPGs on a mobile device, and action RPGs are not so friendly for me on that format.

Still, I do have fun with RPGs overall.

My current favorite RPG is Asdivine Hearts. I once played that until all members of my party were maxed out in all elemental magic and I took down beasts in the yellow desert region of Asdivine with only level 20 or so characters, though I did have to decrease the difficulty to do it.

• Like 1