Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Episode 2 Discussion

RepentantSky

The first episode, if you viewed the thread on that one, kind of had me wondering what exactly was the point of certain things, but I'm glad to say that show has in fact started to improve. We were given proper introductions in this episode of several of the characters, in fact arguably all of them, at least on the good side of things. Here's a good look at them: 59e217a640efb_KatsugekiToukenRanbu2.jpg.38d06557b7fee1a8c7f7fa98d9ccff82.jpg

It's a little bit of a disappointment that all of these characters are male, even though Yagen, who is fifth from the left in this image looks fairly feminine. I've never been a big fan of characters who look like that. After this episode my current favorite character is probably Tonbokiri or this guy

59e217a64500b_KatsugekiToukenRanbu.thumb.jpg.40e7f986d2778301bb04abc64b10cef1.jpg

I feel like he'll probably be the most character driven. We got a better look at some of the action we can expect in this series, as well as it's ability to show us some gore, which is good because scenes like this one here: 59e217a648d02_KatsugekiToukenRanbu01.thumb.jpg.3e8e68c91b892a00d073af234ad58b4f.jpg didn't really good a good job of letting us know what was going on in that sense.

The story in this episode left off where the last one ended to no surprise, where we learned that for some reason Matsunokami Yoshiyuki, who kind of looks like one of the two main characters, really seems to get upset when people are killed by the enemy known as the, Historical Revisionists Army. It was also made clear that these characters are basically objects, not people, which I suppose goes in line with the browser game this series is based on.

After some brief introductions the characters give of themselves, they split up, all save for the leader Saniwa, who looks like this: 59e217a649f17_KatsugekiToukenRanbu02.jpg.34360e9112285846068d914fadf4650d.jpg who can apparently only be away from where he dwells for a certain time, trying to figure out what the enemy does next. After a little more exposition is dropped, the two main characters Mikazuki and Izuminokami realize that the goal of the revisionists is to incite war in order to change history, and as they rush towards a steam boat mostly filled with foreigners, an explosion hits it, and the two characters already by it start reacting as the episode ends.

As a second episode in the series, it has improved from the first, but overall, I think it still needs some more time to really show us what it can do. I'll give this episode, a sold 7/10. We'll see what happens from here on out.

• Geano locked this topic