OS of Choice

drill

What OS do you use? Windows, Mac, or Linux?

Currently, I'm using Linux, specifically, Deepin. I've just grown tired of Windows after bugs and glitches that kept occurring. My least favorite one is where an application locks the sound up, and everything goes mute until you reboot. Perhaps all my issues were just compatibility issues with my hardware, but even then, its odd that Linux has better support for my hardware than Windows does.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Windows 8.1 at home.

Mac OS X 10.10.2 at work.

Best of both worlds. >_<

My least favorite one is where an application locks the sound up, and everything goes mute until you reboot.

Possibly driver issues?

I'm using onboard sound but am using optical out via TOSLINK digital audio to a pair of bookshelf speakers for my PC audio. Sounds cleaner than going through the analog ports on my onboard sound card.

I grew tired of Windows a few years ago and I switched to Arch Linux for about three or four years. At first, updating was a real pain, but after a year they had some fixes and everything ran smoothly. My only issue with Linux was that most of the better applications (UX/design wise) were only on OS X or Windows. After I heard that Microsoft was doing a Windows 10 preview I got into that and got back into Windows on my desktop. They've made awesome improvements; it's way better than Windows 7/8/8.1.

Anyway, I use Windows 10 on my desktop (where I had Arch Linux before) and Windows 8.1 on my laptop. I miss a few things from Linux—encryption at startup, all that customization, etc—but the change was refreshing after all those years. I tried several distributions but Arch was my favorite. Now I'm just hoping Microsoft doesn't drop the ball with their privacy settings and such things.

Deepin looks seriously nice. Any issues so far?

I got sick of windows a few years ago and moved to Ubuntu but I got tired of that after a while and went back to windows 7 , got windows 8 hated everything about it and went back to windows 7 again (comfy) and I'm thinking of getting windows 10 but only when I get a new Laptop this one is staying as she is I love her like this:blush:

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

@Cake: Oh, another Win10 preview user! I used that for quite a bit too, and enjoyed the improvements, and in case you haven't already heard, Microsoft is giving out Win10 to people with Win7 and Win8 for free! Unfortunetly, since I have Win8.1 Embedded on my desktop, I can't upgrade that. However, getting back to your question. Yes, Deepin Linux is really nice, and in fact it has far less issues than Windows. I have yet to run into any driver issues, and my only real complaint is that I can only play half of my Steam games natively, but since I wasn't playing them anyway, I don't actually care. :P Anyway, if you're interested, I would definitely recommend trying it out. :)
  • Like 1

I've been using Windows 7 for years and really hadn't had any problems with it, so I never felt like changing.

But since Windows 10 will be for free and stuff, I might just go straight to that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, while I'm still using Deepin, I've installed Makulu LInux on my laptop, and it is really nice. Especially the effects that come preinstalled. Also, it actually picks good applications that come preinstalled as well, except for Pinta which has a glitch that has made me give up on the project. Also, for anyone interested, Xfce is the best desktop environment for Makulu as the other ones don't integrate quite as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after giving up on the pain of trying to install OpenSUSE, I figured I would go ahead and look for another distro. After all, my current distro, Makulu Cinnamon, decided to crash several times a day. While searching around, I eventually came across Netrunner. What was interesting was that they have edited KDE to integrate parts of KDE 5 that works, and keep parts of KDE 4 that don't. Even so, it still gives off the feel of the complete KDE 5 experience, which almost no distro does, not even KUbuntu which only has it as an option for a tech preview. While, this is the first day I've used it, I am thoroughly impressed, as it was everything I was looking for in an OS from the design, to the applications, as Chrome was the only application I had to install as the default was firefox.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after changing a obscure setting I managed to crash KDE 5 along with the rest of my system. I've changed to Netrunner rolling which is based on Arch/Manjaro, and while it took a bit of getting used to as I'm a Debian person, it runs really fast which I'm happy about. :)

• 1 month later...
I would use Linux because of the high customisation and all that stuff, but I'm too lazy (and possibly inept) to learn how to properly use it. Feels bad.

Ah, thats too bad D: If you ever convince yourself to try it though, there are tutorials for quite a few distros, or you could simply ask me for help, as I've tried most of the popular distros out there.

Ah, thats too bad D: If you ever convince yourself to try it though, there are tutorials for quite a few distros, or you could simply ask me for help, as I've tried most of the popular distros out there.

If I were to go with Linux, I'd most likely want to go all the way and go with Arch, and to my understanding, that's going to lead me to Googling "how to" for every tiny little thing I would want to do, and there'd be a ton of stuff I'd need to do.

If I were to go with Linux, I'd most likely want to go all the way and go with Arch, and to my understanding, that's going to lead me to Googling "how to" for every tiny little thing I would want to do, and there'd be a ton of stuff I'd need to do.

I could understand why you would want to do that, but I would probably recommend trying a distro based on Arch instead like Manjaro or Netrunner Rolling. Then you can get the feel for what Arch is like before you dive straight into the Linux command line. Or you could try this which is a pretty good installation guide to Arch and would limit the amount of Googling you would end up doing.

I could understand why you would want to do that, but I would probably recommend trying a distro based on Arch instead like Manjaro or Netrunner Rolling. Then you can get the feel for what Arch is like before you dive straight into the Linux command line. Or you could try this which is a pretty good installation guide to Arch and would limit the amount of Googling you would end up doing.

Those UI's are pretty uggo, though. I can't install it right now, anyway, because the laptop I'm using isn't technically "mine." I'd get too much crap for installing a complete different OS on it. I'll keep it in mind in the future, though.

Those UI's are pretty uggo, though.

Those are the default UIs, you can install different ones if you want.

I can't install it right now, anyway, because the laptop I'm using isn't technically "mine." I'd get too much crap for installing a complete different OS on it. I'll keep it in mind in the future, though.

Ah, okay, thats too bad then. D: Hopefully you can get your own computer soon so you can do what you want with it. :)

• Friendly 1

Windows on a Mac through the use of Bootcamp.

Mac, btw, isn't an OS. Snow Leopard and Lion are OS. But I could understand the confusion.

There are a few reasons why I prefer the Mac platform over PC. For one thing, if my Windows OS ever catches a serious virus, I could still browse the Internet smoothly on my Lion. Another reason is because I used to be part of video editing course in my college, and Mac does provide more suitable tools for me as a designer. Adobe Premiere Pro was okay, but it lacked the professionalism of Final Cut. At least until recently. I think Adobe has released a couple more support software to compliment Premiere Pro by now.

And the final reason... the big-ass screen. Now, while it's true you could get the same screen for a cheaper price... I wasn't really aware of that back then. I don't think I really regret my decision though, not just because I hate regretting over something I've already done, but also because I'm too lazy to build my own PC and put a big screen with whatever other components PC users put together. This iMac has still served me well, with no requirements for replacement. So this 1TB storage unit would suit me fine.

With that out of the way... there's one reason I would prefer PC over Mac - video games.

As good as Macs can be, they aren't the kind of hardware to support high-end graphic cards. You need to pay a lot to get those installed on an iMac. The other thing is that Mac keyboards and mouses suck as gaming hardware. They don't have numeric keypads and the mouse is obviously not made for gaming (which is why I use a Razor mouse instead). Furthermore, due to the graphic card constraint, future video games are going to be out of my grasp soon... including GTA V, which crashed repetitively on my Mac, not to mention being too high-end for me to set the graphics much higher than allowed. Sigh.

• 3 weeks later...

Only ever used Windows, never had any difficulties with it myself. Not a fan of windows 8, been using windows 7 for quite some time.

I hate Macs, mainly because I have a friend who constantly shoves it in my face and whines about how insecure PCs are and that he constantly downloads viruses and stuff. I've never had that issue with that myself, but I also don't constantly download stuff from random places and tell my computer to download stuff when it warns me about the website being dangerous.

• 3 weeks later...
I hate Macs, mainly because I have a friend who constantly shoves it in my face and whines about how insecure PCs are and that he constantly downloads viruses and stuff.

I work in an Apple school, and from time to time I find myself removing adware from various OS X machines. Most of the infections I've seen are browser related, they inject ads on Google SERPs OR redirect you to a dodgy website when you click a Google SERP result.

Basically poke your friend and say all platforms are vulnerable if you visit dodgy websites. :S

• 2 weeks later...

I've only ever used Windows. I'm currently happy with Windows 7.

I have a friend with a Linnux and I absolutely love it so I plan on getting a Linnux the next time I am laptop shopping.

Also:

If Apple was to build a house, would it have Windows? :P

I have a friend with a Linnux and I absolutely love it so I plan on getting a Linnux the next time I am laptop shopping.

You normally don't just get a Linux system, you have to install it yourself. :P Just wondering, what distro was your friend using?

If Apple was to build a house, would it have Windows? :P

Yes it would :P

You normally don't just get a Linux system, you have to install it yourself.

Shows what I know xP Okay then.....I'll install Linux on the next laptop I get.

:P Just wondering, what distro was your friend using?

As for the distro, it's been awhile but I believe it was Arch.