Really? What is this!?

ItsSammy

There has been news about a Netflix original live action adaption of the amazing Anime Death Note, but what we're really going to get is something no where NEAR the actual greatness of Death Note.

I got wind that the names of Light Yagami and Misa Amane would be being changed in the live action and quickly found out that's not the only problem ... Upon reading a few articles and watching the Teaser for this upcoming show I was absolutely horrified and down right disgusted with what they've done!

They cast Light (Now changing his name to Light Turner to "Americanise" it) as a blonde, Caucasian male ... Umm, problem? YES! A big problem! Light Yagami has orange hair, not blonde, ORANGE! He's also Asian in the Anime, now I know most people wouldn't get too upset about having him be Caucasian in the live action and I wouldn't be too upset either ... IF they hadn't changed L and Misa's race as well!

L is now black with a shaved head, Oh dear Lord save me! I legit almost threw my computer on the ground when seeing this. In the show L is actually American and lived in England for quiet a few years before going to Japan JUST for the Kira case, so I don't get why they couldn't have gotten the Caucasian actor for L ... I'm just so upset right now because L is black, has no hair, and is shown WEARING SHOES (Yes, shoes! The things he was NEVER seen wearing in the show. NEVER!) in one of the released pictures for the show! Ahhh, what have they done to L!?

Misa Amane had her name changed to Mia Sutton and has black/brown hair, is shown smoking in one scene, and looks like she's going to be overly edgy. Why!? Misa was always so cute and happy, she was the person who gave the more light sided feeling to Death Note and it was a perfect contrast with her and Light, if they make her be a dark teen then what is her purpose? Her whole purpose in the show was that she was dumb and trusting enough to just follow Light around like a puppy, she was the cute character of the show!

Is she even going to wear her gothic outfits? I loved those!

All in all I'm completely upset and disgusted, why can't they just make it like the show?

I adored Death Note, absolutely loved it, and now they're ruining it!

Here are the articles if you want to check them out yourself ...

The Trailer and their "New names" http://elitedaily.com/entertainment/film/death-note-netflix-whitewashing/1834792/

The slide show where L is wearing shoes ... (Still upset about this) http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/03/22/live-action-death-note-movie-release-date-announced

• Agree 1

See also: Ghost in the Shell, Ju-On, The Ring, Dark Water, Dragon Ball, One Missed Call, Himitsu, A Tale of Two Sisters, Shutter, aaannnd... whew. Actually, I think that's enough for the purposess of this post. American adaptations of foreign film/etc is fairly common, to be honest. In many cases the setting is moved from Japan/etc to America, and the cast replaced with American alternatives. Take The Ring, for example - Sadako became Samara, the setting was moved to America, etc.

This is a fairly common occurrence when it comes to popular properties, so it shouldn't really come as any great surprise. If anything, I'd take this news as a sign of just how popular Death Note is - not to mention, a chance for the American version to draw people in and expose them to the material, potentially leading them toward the anime as a result. Extra exposure is always good, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So yeah, it'll probably suck in the eyes of those folks who are already familiar with and fond of the show, but eh. It's not the end of the world, or anything.

• Like 1

@zoop I know most live action Anime movies turn out horrible but I was kind of hoping the latest Death Note one would be at least sort of close to how the show was ... I mean, this is like the 3rd time it's getting turned into live action and the 2 before this were really bad as well.

I'm just so upset because it looks like they didn't even try, the cast looks nothing like the actual characters and seeing L wearing shoes was just like, "Did you not watch the show or ... Is that Americanising it?" because I don't get why they can't stick with the original eccentric things that made L, well ... L.

I'm also pretty upset about Misa because I absolutely loved her in the show, they could've at least made her blonde.

I'm quiet upset with this new Light "Turner" too because it looks as if Light's literally running from the police (Seen running from a police car and climbing a fence in the trailer) but in the show Light was never anywhere close to being seen by the police let alone chased by them because he doesn't need to even be at the site of the crime when it's committed ... Also, that scene kind of makes Light a huge suspect even more so than he was in the show and L already knew or at least was pretty much positive that he was Kira in the show so ... If he was seen at the crime and then starts running away L would figure it out instantly and then where's the whole battle of wits between them?

@Wedgy I understand why they might need to change the names if they're dead set on making it be in Seattle and such, but I'm still upset that they had to change the characters little "ticks" ... I mean, L never wore shoes, was only ever seen in one outfit, and sat very strange, but in this film he's got shoes on, he's seen wearing normal clothes and a mask, (Still don't have any idea what that's for) and (this might just be my perfectionist side talking, but ...) he sat somewhat like L but not exactly, I mean, with L it was majorly implied that he was a germaphobe since he never really touched anything like a normal person, he always held every thing with two fingers, but this "New L" is holding the side of his chair ...

It also looks as if they're majorly changing Misa's personality to make her more dark and edgy, I have no idea why they'd mess with cute little Misa because she was already perfect and added the right amount of cute and clumsy to Death Note.

There has been news about a Netflix original live action adaption of the amazing Anime Death Note, but what we're really going to get is something no where NEAR the actual greatness of Death Note.

I got wind that the names of Light Yagami and Misa Amane would be being changed in the live action and quickly found out that's not the only problem ... Upon reading a few articles and watching the Teaser for this upcoming show I was absolutely horrified and down right disgusted with what they've done!

They cast Light (Now changing his name to Light Turner to "Americanise" it) as a blonde, Caucasian male ... Umm, problem? YES! A big problem! Light Yagami has orange hair, not blonde, ORANGE! He's also Asian in the Anime, now I know most people wouldn't get too upset about having him be Caucasian in the live action and I wouldn't be too upset either ... IF they hadn't changed L and Misa's race as well!

L is now black with a shaved head, Oh dear Lord save me! I legit almost threw my computer on the ground when seeing this. In the show L is actually American and lived in England for quiet a few years before going to Japan JUST for the Kira case, so I don't get why they couldn't have gotten the Caucasian actor for L ... I'm just so upset right now because L is black, has no hair, and is shown WEARING SHOES (Yes, shoes! The things he was NEVER seen wearing in the show. NEVER!) in one of the released pictures for the show! Ahhh, what have they done to L!?

Misa Amane had her name changed to Mia Sutton and has black/brown hair, is shown smoking in one scene, and looks like she's going to be overly edgy. Why!? Misa was always so cute and happy, she was the person who gave the more light sided feeling to Death Note and it was a perfect contrast with her and Light, if they make her be a dark teen then what is her purpose? Her whole purpose in the show was that she was dumb and trusting enough to just follow Light around like a puppy, she was the cute character of the show!

Is she even going to wear her gothic outfits? I loved those!

All in all I'm completely upset and disgusted, why can't they just make it like the show?

I adored Death Note, absolutely loved it, and now they're ruining it!

Here are the articles if you want to check them out yourself ...

The Trailer and their "New names" http://elitedaily.com/entertainment/film/death-note-netflix-whitewashing/1834792/

The slide show where L is wearing shoes ... (Still upset about this) http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/03/22/live-action-death-note-movie-release-date-announced

It's Hollywood, I wouldn't expect any less than this. Hollywood thinks main characters have to white, they have to have a Black person in there so they aren't considered Racist, and they don't do well with contrasting theme's, hence Misa. That said, I don't see what the point of getting angry is. This version will not take away from the original, or Tarnish the value it holds among fans. Does it all really suck, yeah, but does it matter in the long wrong, not even a little, not with something as Iconic as Death Note, and for that matter, not for any anime adaptation, because they'll only adapt things who's reputations are such that a bad Hollywood version can't ruin it.

@RepentantSky I understand how Hollywood works with their casting and such but I still have the right to be upset that they're doing this to Death Note, my favorite Anime ... I know it won't really mess with the actual Anime itself but I'm still upset that they couldn't get any closer to having a good movie because I would have loved to see a great live action Death Note movie.

they have to have a Black person in there so they aren't considered Racist

Minorities make up over a third of the American population, unlike in Japan, where there's nowhere near as much variety population. If a story takes place in America, it makes sense in most cases that not every character would be of the exact same ethnicity, tbh. Personally, I'm quite interested in seeing what they do with the character.

Minorities make up over a third of the American population, unlike in Japan, where there's nowhere near as much variety population. If a story takes place in America, it makes sense in most cases that not every character would be of the exact same ethnicity, tbh. Personally, I'm quite interested in seeing what they do with the character.

I agree, however Hollywood doesn't see it like that. I kind of wish they did, but that doesn't seem to be the case, as messed up as that is.

Here is a video for you guys, I think it will be informative in light of how we view Anime Adaptions and perhaps even any type.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=c-CU2O9V_EA;t=330

Actually, let's give you two I would recommend both videos before we continue this assessment. I would highly recommend the second video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGLxZBajInM

• Like 1

@RepentantSky I understand how Hollywood works with their casting and such but I still have the right to be upset that they're doing this to Death Note, my favorite Anime ... I know it won't really mess with the actual Anime itself but I'm still upset that they couldn't get any closer to having a good movie because I would have loved to see a great live action Death Note movie.

Your response to me, sounds like counting your eggs before they've hatched. I get it, we all do this, judging something to be bad, because how dare they change the source material from what it was in any way whatsoever. However, in light of the positive reviews of Power Rangers, which I have not seen yet, I find it harder to say that something is bad just because it's different. Maybe Power Rangers will be one in a dozen, but maybe this re-imagining of Death Note can still be good on it's own, even if it doesn't appeal to it's most hardcore fans.

• Like 1

@RepentantSky Yeah okay, maybe it could be a good movie if I hadn't actually seen Death Note ... I know this is made for people who haven't seen Death Note so they won't care but even if it may be okay it's obviously not going to be great.

Also, if they had changed minor things to make it more appealing to western audiences I wouldn't have been that upset and probably would have looked forward to it even though most live action adaptions turn out horrible, but they changed so much it's almost impossible for me to even hope that this movie will turn out anywhere near good ...

@Etyo I somewhat agree with the video, Ryuk does seem to be the only good character so far and I appreciate that.

On the other hand, even if the actor can pull of L's quirks (Which it already seems like he can't because he's wearing shoes and such) then maybe it could be okay, but it's still ramping my OCD up since they changed his race ...

White Light is also pretty much just as upsetting but I understand why they might find the need for him to be white since this is for western audiences, I do agree that the actor they got, and how they made him look, does not fit the character of Light in any way imaginable and this is what really upsets me ...

On the other hand, even if the actor can pull of L's quirks (Which it already seems like he can't because he's wearing shoes and such)

It's less a matter of if the actor can pull those quirks off than it is a matter of whether or not those specific quirks were ever intended to be a part of the movie to begin with, tbh. For all we know, the L being portrayed here may have an entirely original set of oddities to him - it's way too early to be able to know much of anything about the character. I do agree that Light's look is a tiny bit goofy, though.

With that said, I think it's fair to say that it is at least more promising than Dragon Ball Evolution ever was, if nothing else.

• Like 2

It's less a matter of if the actor can pull those quirks off than it is a matter of whether or not those specific quirks were ever intended to be a part of the movie to begin with, tbh. For all we know, the L being portrayed here may have an entirely original set of oddities to him - it's way too early to be able to know much of anything about the character. I do agree that Light's look is a tiny bit goofy, though.

With that said, I think it's fair to say that it is at least more promising than Dragon Ball Evolution ever was, if nothing else.

To be fair, I think everything will be better than Dragon Ball Evolution. That movie simply took characters from an anime, and didn't do anything with them that makes them like their characters at all, as if simply slapping Dragon Ball on a movie that might have been at least decent without that title was a good idea. I'm all for the possibility of something being different, but I highly doubt anything that only borrows names and a special item or two from it's source will be decent. Let's hope, that's not the case with Death Note.

• Like 1

For all we know, the L being portrayed here may have an entirely original set of oddities to him

And that is another thing that would be upsetting ... I'm quiet the perfectionist and majorly so when it comes to Anime, therefor if L is changed and given different "oddities" than the ones his character actually has then it will most likely just upset me.

And that is another thing that would be upsetting ... I'm quiet the perfectionist and majorly so when it comes to Anime, therefor if L is changed and given different "oddities" than the ones his character actually has then it will most likely just upset me.

Given the degree to which the whole thing seems to be upsetting to you, I think the only advisable course of action is to not watch the movie, and to distance yourself from conversation and news regarding it. I don't say that to try and sound dismissive or anything of the sort - it's just clear that the whole thing bothers you a great deal, and that giving it your attention is only likely to result in bad feels given the perfectionism that you've mentioned.

Since... really, the movie isn't going to be perfect, and it is going to be massively changed from the source material, no doubt beyond what we've already seen. Better to direct attention toward things that aren't so likely to bug you like this is.

• Agree 1

@zoop I will most likely keep up to date on the news regarding the movie and hoping it's not as bad as I expect it to be, if it turns out that it's partially good or even just moderately okay I may watch it too see how western audiences get to view the "Anime" in their own way.

I do have some problems with my perfectionism but I'll still probably at least check out a few scenes or so to see how everyone else gets to see it, I don't want to sound like I can't handle any changes I just prefer when a character stays the way they were made ...

I agree with @ItsSammy completely. Ive already commented about this movie on another thread so i'l short comment here.

The worst thing about this movie will be L, L was the best character in the show and is now the worst in this movie. :( Turning him black ruined him, that's the worst thing they could have done! Have you seen L!? he like the most palest guy evr, like vampire pale!!! Also, his hair was awesome in the show and he was a gremophobe, he also NEVER wore shoes, the movie just took L and ruind him completely! I don't want some bald headed, shoe-wearing black child!!! I want L.

Turning him black ruined him, that's the worst thing they could have done!

So it would have been better if he had been cast as a mild mannered Russian immigrant with a love for disco and bright purple spiked hair, who has a secret lair on top of a dance club where he works as a DJ at day while investigating crime by night? Since, you know, simply casting a black actor was, in and of itself, the absolutely worst thing they could have ever possibly done to the character.

I might not be enough of a Deathnote fan to understand, I think.

Untitled.gif.535d91783206ba8189fe52887192d23e.gif

I apologize for the snark, but c'mon. You're reacting to a movie, not someone dragging your dog/cat/sister/brother/mother/father/PC/whatever out into the street and shooting it dead.

• Dislike 1
  • Funny 1

I apologize for the snark, but c'mon. You're reacting to a movie, not someone dragging your dog/cat/sister/brother/mother/father/PC/whatever out into the street and shooting it dead.

Ah, but Anime characters have a special place in their fans hearts.

I agree with Zoop it is really not the end of the world that he is black, and let's just be clear. This is not a direct adaption, to begin with, I mean imagine if they added a random Asian guy in to look exactly like L. I would look at this movie like I would any remake of a film. Look at any film that has been made in the last 10 years, I promise you 65% of them are remakes from films in the 1950-1990s. They did not make the characters look exactly the same its a very common thing to happen within the community. I mean look at transformers, what a disaster of a remake but it's a good example. Don't look at this as an adaption look at this as a based on true story type of feel. The true story being that it's based on death note.

People need to relax, the original is still there and you can still recommend it. We have to get it out of our minds that a dumb remake of a show will create bad rep. Or else we have to relook our motive and mindset behind One Punch Man. Because what it was originally was horribly drawn lol.

• Agree 1

So it would have been better if he had been cast as a mild mannered Russian immigrant with a love for disco and bright purple spiked hair, who has a secret lair on top of a dance club where he works as a DJ at day while investigating crime by night? Since, you know, simply casting a black actor was, in and of itself, the absolutely worst thing they could have ever possibly done to the character.

I might not be enough of a Deathnote fan to understand, I think.

[ATTACH=full]30994[/ATTACH]

That would have been better than having a black L, at least a Russian immigrant would have hair and would not wear shoes and would be white. L was mild mannered anyway, he wasn't a super noice guy. if he was a DJ yjay would suck, but I mean cmon, a black L with no hair is really bad. L was an immigrant anyway, so theres another thing your Russian and L have in common. :)

• Dislike 1

That would have been better than having a black L, at least a Russian immigrant would have hair and would not wear shoes and would be white. L was mild mannered anyway, he wasn't a super noice guy. if he was a DJ yjay would suck, but I mean cmon, a black L with no hair is really bad. L was an immigrant anyway, so theres another thing your Russian and L have in common. :)

Thank you, I appreciate this information.

• Like 1

I agree with Zoop it is really not the end of the world that he is black, and let's just be clear. This is not a direct adaption, to begin with, I mean imagine if they added a random Asian guy in to look exactly like L. I would look at this movie like I would any remake of a film. Look at any film that has been made in the last 10 years, I promise you 65% of them are remakes from films in the 1950-1990s. They did not make the characters look exactly the same its a very common thing to happen within the community. I mean look at transformers, what a disaster of a remake but it's a good example. Don't look at this as an adaption look at this as a based on true story type of feel. The true story being that it's based on death note.

People need to relax, the original is still there and you can still recommend it. We have to get it out of our minds that a dumb remake of a show will create bad rep. Or else we have to relook our motive and mindset behind One Punch Man. Because what it was originally was horribly drawn lol.

He doesn't jjust look differtnet, he is different! like toats. he is no hair, he has none of L's awesome quirks, which you can see right away since he is not not wearing shoes! My opinion is my opinion, you can say whatever and I wont fight you on your o, we are all entitled to our opinions. But imo, all. I bet he wont even eat lots of sweets. :( and if he doesn't kick light in the face, major sadness 4me.

• Dislike 1

• Geano locked this topic