Shelter (2016) - Porter Robinson

Histoire

So I have no idea where to put this. If this doesn't belong here, then please move it, thanks~

But hey, it's still anime related, somehow, so I'll just go ahead and post it here.

----

Have you guys seen the music video of the song "Shelter" by Porter Robinson & Madeon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzQ6gRAEoy0

Tell me what you guys think about it~

As for me... I...

[spoiler=SPOILER~]Cried the whole Nile river

yus its very sad, when i decided to watch it with @Kirry @KaiTellsTheTruth and @Cirkadian i thought it was gonna be a movie as i did not really search it much, even though its short its a good watch, and i love the music ^_^

I would love a movie of it tho. Hohoho. I really love the music and the video both, 'specially the video, it hit me hard in the kokoro </3

Seriously have watched this like 7 times already. And the ending ALWAYS gets me. I tear up every time. :?:'(

I would love for this to be adapted into a longer film or series-

The artwork and animation is beautiful and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the music. <3

• Agree 2

I would love a movie of it tho. Hohoho. I really love the music and the video both, 'specially the video, it hit me hard in the kokoro </3

yes i agree, i would love to see them make this into an actually movie, i originally thought it was the trailer until i checked and it was actually the whole thing T_T

it has the potential to be up there with the best movies if done right ^_^

• Agree 1

agree I also thought it was a trailer and had watched it near on a dozen times prier to the piece I wore for Dec's freestyle event , and was a partly responsible for the out come of my piece

I watched it when my friend sent me the link. It was really sad at the end (I got chills), but I never actually teared up.

I think for me personally, the ending was more or less bittersweet, which is why I tear up usually. It's like...

Rin finally realizes her past and where she came from and how her virtual reality came to be- and then her loneliness became more valid. But she overcomes that overwhelming feeling with hope for the future and by reflecting on her memories. <3

This is really a beautiful anime music video. The ending is quite sad. But it totally depends upon the viewer as to how he/she perceives it.

Look at this way, the earth is destroyed, and you're the sole survivor (or may be not) but for the moment lets presume you are the only one that is alive. But your dad gave you this amazing technology where you can literally do whatever you want with it. You can make your own universe out of it. And as you can see at the end of the music video she receives a text, may be the technology also allows you interact with some kind of artificial intelligence. So, may be its not that bad after all.:-/:o But the thing that is really sad about the video is that she is aware that this is all a simulation. :(

Screenshot_2016_11_10_19_54_30_661.thumb.jpg.73699bd5aca10ad7025a49ec8ca0184d.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Informative 1

I will definitely have to watch this tomorrow night... was delaying watching it as I wanted to source a really high quality version, which I have found so I can slot this in with my next anime home theatre session. ;)

Also @Sekkarou I'm also not sure how to categorise this title from a tag point of view. And from a genre point of view it looks like an anime music video but it also looks like a short film at the same time. @_@

I am sure I'll have a better idea after I watch it. In any case, it would be worth featuring this on the front page too.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am curious though, when she gets the message at the end, who is it supposed to be from? Is it a delayed/time capsule message from her father? Extra terrestrials? Other survivors/refugees?

never too late for anything anime related

[spoiler=Answer]the way I always view'd it was that it was a delayed message from her father . like a triggered memory maybe ill have to rewatch it now with trying a different mindset to the message

and ive watched it a ton of times now and have the link saved to rewatch when wanting to

This is dangerous territory for me. I'm the kind of person who head cannons, and head cannons hard. If I don't get answers I may do something drastic like write a whole fanfic about it. No joke.

wish I hadnt answered now , we could always do with more people doing something drastic like write a whole fanfic about it

honest

thing like that provoke thought in peoples and I'm one that recons that's a good thing

But I love the idea that it was a message from her father somehow. Like he knew when she would "wake up" and had the message trigger at that time. Or what if since she's trapped in this digital sort of world, it's like she knows the message is there the whole time but only seems to dream about it? What if the message isn't even real? Maybe it's just a comforting idea to her, and she manifested it somehow, like she creates the rest of her settings? So many open ends here.

Someone make this an anime please!!

[spoiler=my thought]that's kinda how my thought process went but kind off shes trapped in a digital world and the censors monitoring her and her digital state were able to pick up on the revived thoughts she had had of her past and this triggered the message , implanted by her father knowing this time would come and to try to some what comfort her one final time from/in her solitude

id like some one to make an anime movie or series about this as well but unfortunately feel that if it does happen it wont happen any time soon

I wanted to post again here because I found a translation.

The letter that flashes on-screen for a split second:

To Rin

There was just so little time left after you were born.

I don't know how much love I managed to pour into raising you after your mother died...

But your smile kept me going. (^_^)

I would like to have come with you, but I couldn't.

I wanted you to forget everything and move on... I knew you'd be alright.

But you'll get lonely, and remember.

I know you'll grow strong, and read this letter some day.

I really wish we could have spent more time together. I'm sorry.

You were so young back then, too young to understand what they meant. So let me repeat...

My final words to you.

Transcribed:

凛へ

キミが生まれてから、あまりにも時間がなさすぎた。

お母さんがなくなってからキミにどれだけの愛情をそそげただろうか・・・。

父さんは元気なキミをみて勇気づけられたよ(^_^)

本当は一緒に行ければよかったんだけど、それは出来なかった。

全部忘れて進んで欲しいと思ったんだ・・・ キミなら大丈夫だって。

さびしさを知ってしまって、思い出すだろう。

キミが強くなってこの文を読んでくれると信じて。

もっとたくさんの思い出を作れればよよかったね。 ごめんよ。

小さい時はよくわからなかったと思うけど、今ならきっと。

あの日の言葉をもう一度。

that's right I remember now reading the translation thus the belief it was from her father (but only once , well now twice) and again remember becoming more tearful with the letter than the anime , but probably due to I had seen the anime and help strengthen the emotions given off by both

Edited by Guest

And thus my thread was revived. lol.

I have the video downloaded on my phone tho. But I still watch it on YT regardless.

I also made a Live Wallpaper of Shelter for Wallpaper Engine is exclusively for my use only. Hohoho.

• 3 months later...

[FLOAT_RIGHT]shelter-2016-anime-porter-robinson.thumb.jpg.b94b25e3ef360486870eda61d652f041.jpg[/FLOAT_RIGHT] So I finally watched this official anime music video with the interesting Porter Robinson dubstep mix...

The story:

Rin, a 17-year-old girl, lives inside a futuristic simulator in infinite, beautiful loneliness. Each day, she awakens in virtual reality to create a world for herself, yet in real life, Rin's comatose body floats through the universe, forever trapped inside a virtual simulation she will never wake up from...

It's so sad when Rin looks at her past memories!!! :'(

shelter-anime-2016-porter-robinson-10.thumb.jpg.b8d4c453dd0b1987c947522ccc43f2a2.jpg

shelter-anime-2016-porter-robinson-22.thumb.jpg.a7494ed114091524749aa55f9cb063bf.jpg

Those are the most powerful scenes to me. But it does leave us hanging with so many questions...

What ACTUALLY happened to the world / Tokyo ?

shelter-anime-2016-porter-robinson-16.thumb.jpg.3e000921d1085b5fc98e911cf100faf6.jpg

What drove her father / guardian to send JUST HER to space?

shelter-anime-2016-porter-robinson-20.thumb.jpg.d75210f6b3f0a2b4bb6fdf4043a5e0b3.jpg

shelter-anime-2016-porter-robinson-14.thumb.jpg.7168de6f717d86eff7a89728afa1ac09.jpg

Presumably nobody else survived?

shelter-anime-2016-porter-robinson-12.thumb.jpg.f7efdddf58917ed87f202f6e8605052f.jpg

shelter-anime-2016-porter-robinson-13.thumb.jpg.55cd6ed84814df953f2d10561c05a2d2.jpg

It gets a 7/10 from me - the worlds that Rin creates in her virtual world are beautiful.

shelter-anime-2016-porter-robinson-21.thumb.jpg.1a9526eca0b81b0f7593075e44aa6ef4.jpg

• Like 2

[FLOAT_RIGHT][ATTACH]32387[/ATTACH][/FLOAT_RIGHT] So I finally watched this official anime music video with the interesting Porter Robinson dubstep mix...

The story:

It's so sad when Rin looks at her past memories!!! :'(

[ATTACH=full]32391[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32396[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]32395[/ATTACH]

Those are the most powerful scenes to me. But it does leave us hanging with so many questions...

What ACTUALLY happened to the world / Tokyo ?

[ATTACH=full]32390[/ATTACH]

What drove her father / guardian to send JUST HER to space?

[ATTACH=full]32392[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]32394[/ATTACH]

Presumably nobody else survived?

[ATTACH=full]32393[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]32397[/ATTACH]

It gets a 7/10 from me - the worlds that Rin creates in her virtual world are beautiful.

I'm surprised it took you so long to watch this!

Honestly, I feel like it was one of those things left up to your own perception- Something that requires you to actually analyze. Still, that being said, I had wished that they did some kind of spin-off, where we could have got some kind of deeper explanation. :'( It does still bother me, not knowing.

I think it would be kind of an interesting series, if they could put that into development. :angel: Who knows, maybe that's why there is so many unanswered questions? :D

Anyways, I thought this would be interesting for you to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeprkZEQQAU

Many reasons why I love Porter!

• Informative 1

• Geano locked this topic