Static Site Generators

brycec

Have you heard of Static Site generators?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Have you heard of Static Site generators?

• Nope. I never heard of them before
    • No, I use a CMS (WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.)
    • Yes, and I use them often
    • Kind of interested in trying one.

There seems to be a lot of threads in the tech forums, so I thought I would make one of my own, since my interest in tech is as high up as anime.

What do you guys think of static site generators?

For the longest time, I liked creating websites by hand, but it gets kind of annoying when you have hundreds of pages or reviews to manage, and I find SSGs better since it speeds up my workflow.

Only problem though is that only those running on Python or Node.js, or equivalent, are easily usable on more than just the Mac/BSD/Linux environment.

Edited by Guest

I'm not much of a tech guy myself, but I do run a blog using WordPress. Do you mind explaining what static site generators are? I googled it up but the explanations are generally confusing to an outsider like me. Thanks :D

• Agree 1

Basics of the basics are that all you need to do is create a template and some files with content and the generators will put them all together as HTML files after running a command.

Think of it like WordPress, but for files on your computer.

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...

I don't have a site of my own at the moment, and I probably won't have one of my own until sometime late next year. I'm on a looooong (and enjoyable, so far) vacation from any of that stuff.

With that said, I prefer a good CMS to static site generators. A static site generator was one of the first things that I ever put together. It's really cool to use, but I actually prefer to use something that is database driven and wires into some kind of community platform, these days.

If I ever make a personal blog, again, though, then I will definitely code my own SSG. I actually think that SSGs are pretty fun to make, since it's not too hard and you can do some very thoughtful things with cataloging and parsing your write-ups.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I don't have a site of my own at the moment, and I probably won't have one of my own until sometime late next year. I'm on a looooong (and enjoyable, so far) vacation from any of that stuff.

With that said, I prefer a good CMS to static site generators. A static site generator was one of the first things that I ever put together. It's really cool to use, but I actually prefer to use something that is database driven and wires into some kind of community platform, these days.

If I ever make a personal blog, again, though, then I will definitely code my own SSG. I actually think that SSGs are pretty fun to make, since it's not too hard and you can do some very thoughtful things with cataloging and parsing your write-ups.

Those systems are nice, but a pain to backup, especially if you do the entire process yourself, instead of doing it through the host's cpanel, not to mention my html entities were not preserved.