Steins;Gate - General Discussion

RagnaRulZ

mainvisual.thumb.jpg.92e4fbff1750e99424dd8aa63dfb4ef5.jpg

Steins;Gate, an unusual "time-traveling" (I'm using it loosely here) sci-fi TV anime series that aired last year. Despite the title isn't really fresh, I still think of the anime fondly as if I have just watched it. The pacing at the beginning might have put some others off, but it build off wonderfully at the climax. The story does a great job of pulling in viewers into the shenanigans and dilemma that the characters went through. *Cliffhangers, GREAT SCOTT!"

In the Bluray OVA, it was hinted at a theatrical release of Steins;Gate has been confirmed and there has been speculations hence forth. The picture above is the movie visual.

As of recent, a friend of mine who went event-hunting in Japan, recently attended the SCIENCE ADVENTURE LIVE 2012 which can summarised as a celebration of the titles Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate and the most recent Robotics;Notes whereby the CVs from all titles performed a live drama (cue: fu-hahahahaha! from Okabe) and live song performance of the OPs and EDs.

OK, back to the title. It takes real life references like the "quasi" time traveler named John Titor. And how to use his methods to avoid an eventual dystopia.

Has anyone watched it? Share your thoughts and questions. There shouldn't be any harm to discuss about the upcoming movie, what do you think is going to happen?

• Like 1

I will share with you the experience of SCIENCE ADVENTURE LIVE 2012, taken from said friend.

SCIENCE ADVENTURE LIVE 2012 WAS SO BLOODY GOOD

I haven't eaten anything yet today so I'm just going to write the more exciting bits and run out to get dinner!

The live

-All the major game/anime OPEDs were sung! nao did Synchro and Flag in one set and was running out of breath but she managed to do it! It was amazing.

-Ito Kanako was so excited during Sky Clad Observer she missed a line at the end but managed to correct herself really fast! Obviously no one minded and the audience cheered like mad

The delicious stuff

-STEINS GATE MOVIE UPDATE YES FINALLY. The main visual had two Kurisus so I suppose its a Kurisu-centric story? The cast

-Zwei sang the full version of the Robotics;Notes anime OP!!

-They managed to give a very good reason why Takki wasn't at the live: When he did the announcement (voice only), he said "T, there's no way I'm going somewhere with so many people... you lot are crazy. I'm just going to follow the comments on @channel fuhihihih"

The drama part

Half the live was made up of a special drama which features a crossover between all the Science ADV series (kaohe, shutage and robono). The premise is in which all the characters receive a strange email saying "Sono yume, dare no yume?" and the world line changes, transporting everyone to 2012, at the Pacifico Yokohama (Where the live was held). Only Okabe realizes this change, because of his Reading Steiner, but everyone else appears to know each other. Everyone also awakens to their gigalomaniac powers, and are able to bring their delusions into reality.

Then awesome things happen! The -nya nyan combi of Feyris and Subaru (Feyris: My long lost brother, Mr. Pleiades!! nya! Subaru: W, what are you saying, nya!??) and the otaku/fujoshi combi of Daru and Frau (Frau: I'm going to make Okabe x Yashio-senpai into reality!! Daru: But I think Okarin is the bottom...)

The ending of the drama part when you find out the cause of everything is HILARIOUS. I'm sure there will be a blu-ray or dvd release so I won't spoil it!

The awesome stuff

-Tomokazu Seki trying to look up Afilia Saga's skirts

-Tomokazu Seki sexually harrasing Imai Asami

-Imai Asami getting very vexed by Seki and yelling 'BAKAAA' on stage, even snatching away his answer board to stop him from showing the audience what he wrote lolol

-Miyano Mamoru stole the show - his reactions and stuff were extremely funny compared to the rest of the cast during the drama part. It's like watching a real live Okabe! And he ad-libbed a lot, and got the audience to do the FU-HAHAHAHA! with him! Also you can really see how tall he is especially when Kimura Ryohei was standing next to him. Kimura Ryohei is about the same height as Nabatame Hitomi.

-Imai Asami's tsun face is so perfectly Kurisu I give it 10 Christinas.

-During the talk corner where the Steins;Gate cast had to answer a Robotics;Notes based question (If you could make a member of the cast cosplay using the AR function in R;N, Iruo, who and what would you choose?)

Everyone wrote one answer and Mamoru wrote several. Like this:

1. Yonaga nyan nyan

2. Yonaga-tina

3. Or even Hosoya-tina!

Hosoya: Hello, I'm Hosoya-tina. You mean like this?

Hosoya: (Looking at Imai Asami) So what is this -tina thing about?)

Imai Asami (Christina mode): DON'T SAY TINA!!

-The Robotics;Notes cast had to answer a Chaos;Head based question: If you had gigalomaniac powers, what delusion would you want to bring into reality?

Hosoya: Boobs...

The experience

-When the robotics;notes cast appeared - Guy next to me: NANJOURUNOOOO!! me: HOSOYAAAANNNN!!

-At the end before the encore, the cast and artistes came up and each of them did a FU-HAHAHAHA before their comment. Everyone! Ito Kanako's FU-HAHAHA was really cute, and Sakakibara Yui's fu-hahaha. was really cool omg. Hosoyan did a FUAHAHAHA! I AM MR PLEIADES!!

• 2 years later...

Who was your favorite character? Also, have you played the VN? If so, how did you like it in comparison? For me, my favorite character was easily Okabe with Mayuri coming in second. Kurisu wasn't a bad character, but when I get the VN later this year, I will definitely be taking Mayuri's path first.

Kurisu without a doubt. She kept Okabe going even during the most bleakest moments. ^_^

I mean of course Mayuri supported Okabe too but then you had that recurring paradox which involved her which naturally drove Okabe almost insane. :'(

Kurisu without a doubt. She kept Okabe going even during the most bleakest moments. ^_^

Yeah, I can see why you like Kurisu for that.

I mean of course Mayuri supported Okabe too but then you had that recurring paradox which involved her which naturally drove Okabe almost insane. :'(

You know, technically, it involved Kurisu more than Mayuri. While Okabe didn't want Mayuri to die, he confessed to repeating it because he didn't want to return to the world that Kurisu was dead in.

• 4 months later...

I loved Kurisu but I also found the little gender bender with Ruka quite interesting it was good to see something like this presented in a more serious and well executed manner rather than your usual , overplayed comical moments when someone is randomly gender swopped.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

lol sometimes it does take a second time through to get everything that's happening. Parts in the beginning relate to parts in the middle and end and the other way around as well.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I got to the ending of Chapter 9 of Steins;Gate, and I'm not happy with one specific change the anime made. For those who've played the VN, you probably know what I'm talking about.

At the end of Chapter 9 and episode 20 of Steins;Gate, Mr. Braun is revealed to be

[spoiler=Steins;Gate VN Spoiler]a Rounder agent working for SERN. He kills Moeka, and then proceeds to kill himself afterwards. That's not how it happened in the VN, where Mr. Braun deliberately acted coldly towards Moeka to drive her away in order to protect her. Before killing himself, he didn't kill Moeka like he did in the anime. This totally destroyed Mr. Braun's character in a significant way, making him an unsympathetic puppet who blindly obeys SERN's orders like a true cattle.

And that's not the only change. There's also another change involving Nae...

[spoiler=Nae Spoilers]In the VN, Mr. Braun didn't kill himself in some construction site. He killed himself at his home, where Nae was sleeping in the next room. Naturally, Nae witnessed the suicide, and assumed that Okabe and Moeka were responsible for his death. 15 years later, she time-leaped back to present day (2010) to kill Moeka. THAT's how Moeka died, not by Mr. Braun's hands. She also vowed to kill Okabe 15 years later, claiming that she couldn't kill him at the time being for some unspecified reason.

Both changes were appalling, especially the first one. I could somewhat understand why they cut the second one due to the violence of it, but still, I felt like what happened to Nae was effective in further emphasizing just how much pain Okabe's invention has brought everyone. More than that, it was very interesting to see that someone could

time leap 15 years into the past into the body of a child, let alone for the mere sake of seeking revenge. Nae's mind must have really been f***ed up to remain so vengeful that she would leap more than 2700 times into the past.

I admit that it could have been handled with more tact in the VN.

[spoiler=Nae Spoilers]Nae claimed that the way she killed Okabe in the future was by torturing him in every known way possible till he begs and cries in his own piss and s***.

I felt that was a bit too much, but I wouldn't mind if they kept the rest of what happened to her in there. Nae's fate was disturbing, but I feel like it should've been kept in the anime to really show the dark side of time travel and all its consequences, and how some forces of nature shouldn't be messed around with, least of which time itself.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
@Orius Wow! This post actually makes me want to play the VN, just to be able to see the differences in the story and experiment with the different endings. Would it be fair to say, though, that your impression of the anime remained positive, even with the changes?
  • Agree 1

@Orius Wow! This post actually makes me want to play the VN, just to be able to see the differences in the story and experiment with the different endings. Would it be fair to say, though, that your impression of the anime remained positive, even with the changes?

Oh yeah, definitely. The anime is able to do things the VN cannot, after all, like better animation and music execution (as mentioned in the visual novel thread). There are definitely benefits to watching the anime, as it's one of the better VN adaptations out there. It's why I'm looking forward to the Steins;Gate 0 anime. :D

• Like 1

It's why I'm looking forward to the Steins;Gate 0 anime.

Tbh, I'm looking forward to it as well, but I haven't actually been able to find a good write up of it. (Though, to be fair, I'm also really lazy when it comes to some things, and this is one of those things.)

• Like 1

Steins;Gate is a must see , according to me , everything's good in this anime , the story is original , the characters are awesome there's an unexpected plot twist in the end :)

I think I watched the anime more than 2 times :')

Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu

50319l.jpg.8abb5af500b024a6c15fe2c4c1856027.jpg

I thought about creating a separate thread for the Steins;Gate movie I just finished watching, but decided that it would enough to just post my thoughts here.

Many would agree that the TV series wrapped up the story perfectly, and there would be no need for the story to continue (looking at you, Steins;Gate 0). I have disagreed with this notion in the past, especially when S;G 0 has proved that there are certain character depths yet to be explored in the first series. However, with this movie, I have to agree. It is unnecessary.

That's not to say it is bad, of course. The 25th special episode, Oukoubakko no Poriomania, was an unnecessary addition that didn't really add anything meaningful either, but it was still entertaining and gave us a better closure on Okabe and Kurisu's romance. This movie is the extension of that closure. Some people need that kind of closure, as ambiguity just isn't satisfying enough. We always want more from a good TV show that ended, even if the notion of "less is more" holds true.

On a slightly off topic note, this reminds me of Umineko no Naku Koro ni. The visual novel has eight different chapters released individually at different periods, but did you know that there was only supposed to be six chapters? "The End of the Golden Witch" was the title, and it was very similar to Steins;Gate's ending in its ambiguity and supposed lack of closure. The fans wanted more closure, so more fluff was added and two more chapters were released, even when the story had wrapped up perfectly.

And so, a Steins;Gate movie is born, rehashing much of what has already been said in that 25th special episode. Without spoiling too much, the movie reverses the role of Kurisu and Okabe when something bad happens to the latter, and Kurisu has to time-travel back to find a way in reversing his fate. While it's nice to see how much Kurisu cares for Okabe, and while it's also nice to see Kurisu understanding the despair Okabe had once went through while time-leaping... it's still a rehash of what came before. Most anime movies contain plots that don't progress the canon because they don't want to interfere with the TV series (the only exception I can remember is Madoka Magica), so most anime movies contain plots that return the story to Square One, or wherever the TV series left off.

That being said, there are still good things that this movie offers. It won "Best Anime Film" at the 2013 Newtype Anime Awards after all. Those who love character examinations, those who love slice of life interactions that express a character's personality rather than progress a plotline, those who love romance stories, they will love this movie. Kurisu's character is fleshed out more in this film as we examine her vulnerable side when she's put in Okabe's role. Personally, I don't think it adds anything new to her character we haven't already seen, but many others have praised this part of the movie, so I feel I should bring it up.

While it might sound like I loathe this movie or found it boring, that's not really the argument I'm trying to make here. The movie is an example of a low-concept plot that focuses on character growth, internal conflict, and character relatability. Some of my favorite shows consisted of low-concept plots, like Friends, Hourou Musuko, and Mushishi. However, when it comes to Steins;Gate, because the original TV series was arguably a high-concept plot that focuses on the consequences of time-travel and one man's desperate struggle to save his loved one, I don't really find a low-concept pitch like this that amazing, especially if its plot is so familiar. I like seeing all those lovable characters interacting with each other again, but this won't land on my top favorites.

One thing that bothers me: why does Suzuha care so much about Kurisu saving Okabe? In this worldine, Suzuha shouldn't be that close with Okabe, if at all. I don't understand why she's so worked up enough to slap Kurisu on the face when Kurisu refused to save him. It doesn't make sense in the context of this film. I also really don't like how forced Kurisu's solution feels. Why did such an important part of Okabe's past have to be related to Kurisu? It's terribly contrived and feels like one of those stupid "everything is connected" stories. Many things in real life aren't connected. They happen by coincidence. Not to mention that Kurisu's actions being the cause for Mayuri's rescue contradicts the original message at the end of the TV series, that tomorrow is unpredictable, that man isn't in charge of his own fate. Kurisu just changed two people's fate by her own hands.

★★★½

Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu

[ATTACH=full]32139[/ATTACH]

I thought about creating a separate thread for the Steins;Gate movie I just finished watching, but decided that it would enough to just post my thoughts here.

It's nice to see some thoughts on it here. I was planning to see the movie, but I think this one would kind of fail to be anything okay with me, according to what you said.

It probably would not pass my standards, but I would not know unless I see it.

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic