The Boy and the Beast (Bakemono No Ko)

Bakaath

[FLOAT_RIGHT]34307354573540l.jpg.1721be5a6e62b635673cf67872d1a3c2.jpg [/FLOAT_RIGHT]

The story is set in the human realm (Tokyo's Shibuya ward) and the bakemono realm ("Shibutenmachi"). In these two worlds which must not intersect, there lives a lonely boy and a lonely bakemono. One day, the boy gets lost in the bakemono world, becomes the disciple of the bakemono Kumatetsu, and is renamed Kyuuta.

I watched the trailer and it seems so interesting! Can't wait till it's aired!

Genre: Adventure, Movie, Supernatural

• 9 months later...

This was such an amazing film, the visuals were done extremely well and the characters developed so well within the time frame not to mention that the story it self was spectacular.

I think that this film has such a well thought out plot that was carried out extremely well.

• 4 months later...

BUMP----

So, I streamed this tonight. Bakemono no Ko goes on my top list for animated films.

Synopsis

Bakemono no Ko is the tale of a boy and a beast: both lonely, both stubborn, and both strong. For nine-year-old Ren, things could hardly be worse. His mother has passed away in a traffic accident, his father is nowhere to be found, and his extended family is cold and distant. Desperate, Ren runs away to the mean streets of Shibuya to try and survive on his own.

In the beast realm of Shibuten, the fierce warrior Kumatetsu is certainly feared, but not especially liked or respected. When the Lord decides to retire and become a God, Kumatetsu would be a natural candidate to replace him; he and the noble Lord Iouzan are the two strongest in the land. But Kumatetsu is so anti-social he's never even managed to hold on to a disciple. And until he proves he can, he'll never be a serious contender.

When Ren gets lost in a maze of alleyways and finds himself in the strange land of Shibuten, fate brings these two stubborn and fierce-willed souls together, and Kumatestu re-names the boy "Kyuuta." Each of them has much they can teach the other, but where these two are concerned, nothing is going to be easy. As Kyuuta adjusts to his new home he finds himself torn between two worlds—two worlds that are far less separate than either the Boy or the Beast realizes.

First impressions-

So, someone sent me the MAL link, and I'm not going to lie, I only half read about it and said "HEY, I'LL WATCH IT," so I literally had NO expectations for this film. Which may have helped over all, but either way. (y)

My first impressions were that I absolutely loved the expressions on Ren's (Kyuuta's) face. The artwork was pleasant to me, animation was decent. The only thing that made me iffy was that I was mildly confused, because again, did not read up on it at all. Hahaha.

Final impressions-

This movie made me do so many things. Laugh. Cry. Hate life. All in all, things I look for in a film. If something can make me FEEL, then I am content in the overall quality. (AND THAT ENDING. COME ON....FEELS CENTRAL) All in all, I also enjoyed the concept very nicely! You can definitely see the internal struggles that Ren has to go through, especially near the middle of the film. I was also internally struggling. :'( And I also enjoyed the father/son relationship between Kumatestu and Ren (Kyuuta). ^_^

I will not post any spoilers, as I feel like everyone should try and give this one a shot!

Overall rating: 9/10!

• Friendly 1

I watched this with a group of friends the first time I saw it. I was just suddenly pulled into it without having any idea what it was. But then, I'll watch practically anything if it's with other people.

Not only did I highly enjoy it regardless, we were also a bit of a hyper group and getting totally into it. So it was like....hype all over the place. It's a great movie and even better to watch with friends.

After I saw it, I went out and bought the blu-ray

• Agree 1

• Geano locked this topic