Time to meet some new friends!

TheEccentrician

Hello All, this is TheEccentrician and I look forward to having some good times posting and conversing with you. Now for some information about me:

If any of you are long-time forum-goers you may know me from National-Anime, AOST (Anime OSTs), or ACDB (Anime Characters Database), my previous alias was brobb355. In AOST I was a pretty active member of their contest teams which I met some awesome people in and the friendly competitions were pretty amazing. I had interest in graphic design during my active time at AOST and developed a modest understanding of photoshop. I helped moderate some of the ACDB entries due to the fact that I found that a pretty useful resource at the time.

I am also a former youtube content creator, I had some fun making videos while Minecraft was a big thing. I have specialized in modded versions of MC and my interests in the game have waxed and waned (my endeavors IRL haven't helped much there). Feel free to check out my channel if you would like to see an amateur content creator with a technical/art focus to minecraft (youtube.com/theeccentrician).

Professionally I'm an IT focused contractor looking for going full-time if a business will allow it. I'm currently living in Las Vegas though I could be persuaded to head elsewhere for a good opportunity.

My anime tastes are pretty much whatever feels good at the time, whether it be rom-com, action badassery, just something pretty to look at, or something a bit titillating the taste changes but the consistent things that I like are something to think about or a coherent or smart story with a good range of emotion conveyed.

Some other interests include Rock Climbing, Go (Igo, Baduk, Weiqi), video games, Beer & Wine, and cooking.

I look forward to meeting you all, feel free to chat me up or start a conversation at your convenience.

• Like 1

Hullo, and welcome to AF! :angel:

Some other interests include Rock Climbing, Go (Igo, Baduk, Weiqi), video games, Beer & Wine, and cooking.

I'm not much for rock climbing, myself (my significant other is fond of reminding me that I have an obligation to not get myself killed whenever I do anything that has some degree of danger), but I greatly enjoy things like hiking and camping. Cooking as well, though I'm definitely an amateur in that area. What sort of things do you prepare?

I'm not much for rock climbing, myself (my significant other is fond of reminding me that I have an obligation to not get myself killed whenever I do anything that has some degree of danger), but I greatly enjoy things like hiking and camping. Cooking as well, though I'm definitely an amateur in that area. What sort of things do you prepare?

I have a decent repertoire as I've been cooking since I was a kid (second of five in my family), over the last decade I've developed a taste for Japanese and other asian dishes. I've made my own sushi, dango, curry, miso soup, okonomiyaki, toriniku, proper Japanese ramen is delicious, and I've enjoyed making Yakisoba. My current roommates have made some traditional Danish dishes which are pretty good. I'm one for pasta, enjoyed spaghetti since I was a kid and recently carbonara sauce has become a favorite on a nice pasta. I can make everything in a traditional thanksgiving dinner from scratch, steak and other common meat preparations are no mystery to me, and eggs are some of the most versatile foodstuffs out there IMO.

The significant other is only looking out for you, I completely understand wanting someone to be there for you as I'm looking for someone myself. I'm still a novice when it comes to the rock climbing and I've recently relegated myself to the climbing gyms in my area, got to have the safety equipment such as the harnesses and crash pads for when you fall.

*edit: Oh hey, noticed your location, is that DC or up in the Great Northwet? I lived in Washington state for a few years, between Vancouver and Longview. Memories are bittersweet but overall a good place to be.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I have a decent repertoire as I've been cooking since I was a kid (second of five in my family), over the last decade I've developed a taste for Japanese and other asian dishes. I've made my own sushi, dango, curry, miso soup, okonomiyaki, toriniku, proper Japanese ramen is delicious, and I've enjoyed making Yakisoba. My current roommates have made some traditional Danish dishes which are pretty good. I'm one for pasta, enjoyed spaghetti since I was a kid and recently carbonara sauce has become a favorite on a nice pasta. I can make everything in a traditional thanksgiving dinner from scratch, steak and other common meat preparations are no mystery to me, and eggs are some of the most versatile foodstuffs out there IMO.

Oh wow, that's quite a variety! I've been meaning to branch into Asian dishes more myself, but have been a bit slow to do so. I mostly do standard American fare myself, with a fair deal of tex-mex and Americanized Italian stuff. Nothing super fancy for the most part, though people don't always seem to realize that. :D

I'd love to try my hand with barbecue and the like, but am always lamenting the fact that apartment living doesn't afford many opportunities for charcoal cooking. Sadly my steaks are limited to pan searing. :'(

I definitely agree with you about eggs - I always have several dozen in my fridge that get used up for all manner of things. My sister in law sometimes has to come over and help use them up before they start to go bad. :?

The significant other is only looking out for you, I completely understand wanting someone to be there for you as I'm looking for someone myself. I'm still a novice when it comes to the rock climbing and I've recently relegated myself to the climbing gyms in my area, got to have the safety equipment such as the harnesses and crash pads for when you fall.

Oh definitely! I just like to tease her about it a little since she's extremely risk averse when it comes to outdoors stuff, whereas I've been out and about camping, hiking, swimming, boating, etc, since I was a tiny little thing, and sometimes tend to be a little overconfident at times as a result. According to her, anyway. :kiss:

(that said, I do appreciate being pulled back to reality when my head gets too far into the clouds)

I'd actually forgotten about climbing gyms and things like that... might have to give that a shot someday, if nothing else.

Heyo wassup welcome to the forums.

If you have any questions, refer to my signature.

That said, See ya around.

I just used up all my energy writing up a long reply somewhere so I'm not going to do it again for the day.

Nice to meet you! I'm new here, too. So you like rock climbing? I tried that once, got up pretty high and looked down. Big mistake. Not good with high places, I get sick. Maybe hiking is more my thing, lol.

I remember the first time I was on an actual rock face (not in a gym or some other climbing wall) once I was at the top and needed to belay down that first tug once I was being supported by my climb partner was frightening. I can dig a good hike, one of my favorites was when I was about 12 and my boy scout troop did a hike along the coast at Salem, OR around where the Goonies was filmed.

But cooking! Now that is something I can share a lot of interest in. I'd love to learn some Japanese recipes, and I'm particularly interested in keto-friendly dishes. As far as I can tell, there is a lot of potential to be found as long as I can skip or substitute the rice. I bet with some practice I can whip up a good miso soup. My favourite two things to cook/eat however is a good old stir fry (grilled onions and peppers, omg yum,) and green chile enchiladas (I try to avoid them though, since they can be really starchy.) I'd really like to make something like toriniku, maybe with some vegetables. <3 Turkey day sort of recipes though... not really my forté. I pretty much try to stick to the grill as much as possible, so I'm not the very popular cook at Thanksgiving time.

I find sliced/chopped cabbage or some mixed veggies to be a nice substitute for rice depending on the dish, you may like experimenting there. I imagine a decent amount of traditional Japanese dishes are keto friendly so you may want to look more into that. If you are a grillmaster type you may like to try yakitori, so good there. I also love me some grilled onions and peppers, walla walla onions and yellow/red bell peppers turn out sweet and delicious on the grill. for Turkey day have you considered getting boneless turkey breast and grilling those or treating the legs and wings like chicken on the grill?

I find miso soup is pretty easy to make once you've got the basic recipe down. I don't much care for tofu in that application so I've taken to either using pickled vegetables or using a white meat like chicken or pork instead. For one serving it's basically this:

1 teaspoon miso

1/6 teaspoon dashi no moto (dry dashi stock)

1 cup hot water

cooked meat/vegetables/tofu to taste

I've found a little furikake is nice to finish it off but that's optional.

Sounds like you're pretty well-rounded!

In any case, welcome to the forums! If you ever want to chat, or have any questions or concerns, feel free to hit me up! Hope to see you around for a while!

burnt out, that kind of sucks but hey, hopefully you found something else to be motivated for. Interests wax and wane all the time, I used to do a lot of origami stuff but not so much recently.

I do origami every now and again. I'm fond of the flowers!

hiya and belated welcome to the forums TheEccentrician

rock climbing ~ in younger years only to get out of places we abseiled in to

but do still like to camp fish bla bla what ever out doorsy stuff and tend to take the BBQ with us when we go

other than that for me its motor sports type orientated around here

I do enjoy cooking but more roasts stews or pasta dishes but due to my type of work and that I generally cook meals to feed the five thousand when its only me and puppy I generally don't do much cooking any more

any ways it seems your pretty settled in here so hope you keep enjoying it and we will see you round

Thanks Wodahs, I appreciate the post. Yours are the type of post that I enjoy reading, those that are thoughtful and that relate to the subject matter with a personal touch. I can relate to your experiences shared here, in my younger years I relished the prospect of camps and other organized outings for the sole purpose of escaping the place that I lived to get away from family and the obligations held within. I hope to contribute as thoughtfully as I can and contribute to the forum in a meaningful way. See you around.

• Like 1