Underrated titles in their season

RepentantSky

Having watched Erased recently thanks to some suggestions I got in a thread asking for something to watch, and then watching something very mainstream in One Punch Man, I started thinking about anime that fell under the radar during the season in which they premiered. Obviously, my opinion is that Erased is one of those, but what are some other anime that you think didn't make the impact that they should have.

The only thing I can think of off hand because I'm terrible at remembering name's is D. Gray-man Hollow. Everything from the animation to the story, to the battles was incredible, and despite it's short length compared to the original series, I really enjoyed it. Actually, I wonder, would Hanasaku Iroha or Anohana count as well, because those were spectacular throughout and I hardly hear anyone talk about them.

• Like 1

Having watched Erased recently thanks to some suggestions I got in a thread asking for something to watch, and then watching something very mainstream in One Punch Man, I started thinking about anime that fell under the radar during the season in which they premiered. Obviously, my opinion is that Erased is one of those, but what are some other anime that you think didn't make the impact that they should have.

The only thing I can think of off hand because I'm terrible at remembering name's is D. Gray-man Hollow. Everything from the animation to the story, to the battles was incredible, and despite it's short length compared to the original series, I really enjoyed it. Actually, I wonder, would Hanasaku Iroha or Anohana count as well, because those were spectacular throughout and I hardly hear anyone talk about them.

I feel that Samurai Champloo, Darker than Black, Deadman Wonderland and Mushi-shi should have gained larger followings.

I feel that Samurai Champloo, Darker than Black, Deadman Wonderland and Mushi-shi should have gained larger followings.

I can't speak for the first three of those four, but Mushishi is definitely not lacking in terms of fan appreciation - if you look at the Anime Planet top anime list, the various seasons/shows/etc take up the 13th, 18th, 30th, 37th, 42nd, and 76th place slots, rated 4.6, 4.6, 4.6, 4.6, 4.5, 4.5, respectively. That is... fairly immensely difficult to pull off, to say the absolute least. If memory serves correctly, they tended to be pretty popular even when they were in the process of airing, though I could be mistaken?

As for myself, I'd have to go with the Yamishibai series, which is consistently given low ratings on anime listing sites for reasons that are completely beyond my conception. While a series of short, self contained, Japanese horror stories with an extremely distinct and different art style may not be for everyone, I've always found it to be extremely enjoyable, and a nice thing to watch in between episodes of other anime being released at the time.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

I've never heard of Yamishibai before but it sounds interesting. I should for sure check it out.

It's worth a look, imo. The stories run the gauntlet from folklore and myths to things like urban legends and the like. The animation takes a little getting used to, but in my opinion actually helps contribute to the atmosphere, which is in my opinion the show's greatest strength.

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic