Upcoming Movies

Orius

Figured I might as well create a thread that consolidates all upcoming movie discussions. If you want to talk about any upcoming movies, post it here instead of creating a new thread.

I just saw the trailer for Pixar's new movie, Coco, and it looks like a lot of fun:

A lot of people compared this to The Book of Life, but never having seen that other movie myself, I think it's safe to say I could watch this film without prejudice.

Another Pixar movie I'm looking forward to is Cars 3. I liked the first Cars well enough (more so than most people anyway), and the new one looks like it's returning to those emotional roots of the first film, and then some with its "Rocky Balboa" type of story.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Winner 1

Only movie I am looking forward to is Star Wars 8.

Movies these days really disappoint me enough that I have practically given up on the US movie industry.

I agree to a certain extent. You should seek out non-mainstream movies like "Get Out" and "It Comes At Night". There are a lot of non-Hollywood movies that are just as quality as Japanese productions.

And ironically, I feel that "The Force Awakens" wasn't even that good to begin with.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 2

I agree to a certain extent. You should seek out non-mainstream movies like "Get Out" and "It Comes At Night". There are a lot of non-Hollywood movies that are just as quality as Japanese productions.

And ironically, I feel that "The Force Awakens" wasn't even that good to begin with.

Wish I could, but I only have access to FUNimation, Crunchyroll, and Hulu, and Hulu seems to only get Hollywood titles (need more money to get titles on Blu Ray or iTunes).

I have to agree that Force Awakens was not that great, and it might have been better if Jar Jar came back as the ultimate Sith Lord, like people have wanted for sometime.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wish I could, but I only have access to FUNimation, Crunchyroll, and Hulu, and Hulu seems to only get Hollywood titles (need more money to get titles on Blu Ray or iTunes).

Erm, maybe seek them out in cinemas? lol Unless you have trouble going to the cinemas (i.e.: financial issues).

Also, even in terms of mainstream Hollywood films, I think that there are still a few decent titles out there, like "War for the Planet of the Apes". I didn't like "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" myself, but a lot of people seems to love the new reboots.

Erm, maybe seek them out in cinemas? lol Unless you have trouble going to the cinemas (i.e.: financial issues).

Also, even in terms of mainstream Hollywood films, I think that there are still a few decent titles out there, like "War for the Planet of the Apes". I didn't like "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" myself, but a lot of people seems to love the new reboots.

Transportation and financial issues actually. I usually take the bus, and month-long passes cost $30USD, but my funds are too low to get the pass and a movie ticket, not to mention I will try not to leave theater, since I can get lost easily in those screening rooms.

Yeah, there are still some decent Hollywood films, just like there are still some good books being published, even though many big name writers now seem like they have no talent at all, but those are still few and far in between, especially because movie studios tend to add eye candy for the sake of having eye candy.

Where are the great movies, like Adam Sadler's Happy Gilmore or Chris Farley's Tommy Boy?

Edited by Guest
  • Informative 1

Where are the great movies, like Adam Sadler's Happy Gilmore or Chris Farley's Tommy Boy?

I was about to hit "Agree" till this sentence. :D I haven't seen Tommy Boy, but "Sandler" and "good movie" rarely form a proper sentence in my book. Yeah, he has some decent hits back then, and Gilmore was hardly terrible, but still... Sandler? lol

Where are the great movies like Blade Runner, The Godfather, Scarface, Terminator 2, Alien, Schindler's List, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Taxi Driver, the first Rocky, Raging Bull, Back to the Future, Saving Private Ryan, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, and last but not least, The Empire Strikes Back?

lol

I was about to hit "Agree" till this sentence. :D I haven't seen Tommy Boy, but "Sandler" and "good movie" rarely form a proper sentence in my book. Yeah, he has some decent hits back then, and Gilmore was hardly terrible, but still... Sandler? lol

That makes sense, and I am certainly not a fan of his work released today, but things like Gilmore was at least much more hilarious, which is why I viewed Gilmore as a good movie, though I would not give it a perfect score (I would never rate any fictional work a perfect 10/10 or 5/5).

Tommy Boy is a classic, at least for my generation here, so that is kind of surprising.

(I would never rate any fictional work a perfect 10/10 or 5/5).

That's a shame, but understandable. I've rated a lot of works 10/10, but only on a very rare occasion. Even the greatest movies only got a 9/10 from me, so I do have a pretty high standard myself. But in spite of the high standards, I do feel that artists deserve the praise and ratings nonetheless, hence why I do still give out 10/10 because of what they've accomplished for the cinematic world that I respect a lot.

That's a shame, but understandable. I've rated a lot of works 10/10, but only on a very rare occasion. Even the greatest movies only got a 9/10 from me, so I do have a pretty high standard myself. But in spite of the high standards, I do feel that artists deserve the praise and ratings nonetheless, hence why I do still give out 10/10 because of what they've accomplished for the cinematic world that I respect a lot.

True, they deserve all the praise that they can get, because they need to know what they did right, but my main reason, which you are probably already aware of, is that nothing we create is perfect.

A writer asked me to post a review that I wrote on my blog to Amazon, and I listed it as a perfect 5/5, due to having no major issues, but I probably would have actually rated it a 4.8 or 4.9 out of 5.

• Like 1

Upcoming movies that I'm looking forward to?

Hmm, I'd have to say that the first things that come to mind are Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018) and How to Train Your Dragon 3 (2019).

Between now and then, there are a lot of things that I will probably watch, but I'm not necessarily looking forward to them... Actually, no, I totally just lied. I'm looking forward to a bunch of things - including Kingsman: The Golden Circle, It, War for the Planet of the Apes, Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, The Incredibles 2, Captain Marvel, Toy Story 4, Spider Man: Homecoming, AND A MILLION OTHER THINGS! I DIDNT EVEN GET TO THEM ALL!!! AHHH!!!!

Let's just say that I'm a complete movie fanatic. :D

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Let's just say that I'm a complete movie fanatic. :D

Where have you been in my life at AF? :P It's about time I meet a fellow movie fanatic. :D

• Funny 1

You should seek out non-mainstream movies like "Get Out"

Cy~ already has the movies I'm looking forward to covered fairly well, but I just wanted to pop in real quick and say that I agree so horribly much with this - Get Out was a bloody masterpiece.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

im pumped for captain underpants, i used to read it as kid, and the movie just looks rad.

Captain Underpants was not bad. It was hilarious and fairly enjoyable, but I would not say that it gives me everything I want, except for a what comedy movie needs.

• Informative 1

Apparently Steven Spielberg has an upcoming movie called The Papers which will be about the publishing of the Pentagon Papers. Yeah it seems like political bait considering everything that's going on and has star power with Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep, but that supporting cast though...

Carrie Coon (The Leftovers, Fargo season 3)

Michael Stuhlbarg (Boardwalk Empire, Fargo season 3)

Zach Woods (Silicon Valley)

Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Fargo season 1)

Jesse Plemons (Breaking Bad season 5, Fargo season 2)

Matthew Rhys (The Americans)

kdR7j.gif.94fa51def88905dc05180570ed3b160c.gif

Just seeing those names alone and me being a tv nerd, I'm more excited for the movie than I probably should be.

• Like 1

Apparently Steven Spielberg has an upcoming movie called The Papers which will be about the publishing of the Pentagon Papers. Yeah it seems like political bait considering everything that's going on and has star power with Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep, but that supporting cast though...

Just seeing those names alone and me being a tv nerd, I'm more excited for the movie than I probably should be.

Nice to see Spielberg, one of the giants of the filmmaking world, still retained his talent for storytelling (unlike Ridley Scott and James Cameron...). He's probably my favorite filmmaker back then, capable to grabbing your heart and your emotions with such child-like innocence. I'm not really as interested in his modern works because they are out of range with my own interest and preferred genres (Lincoln, for example), but it's still nice to hear news like this.

• Like 1

I've decided to edit the title so that you can discuss upcoming movies that you want to talk about, not just the ones you're looking forward to seeing. An example would be a s***ty remake that you wouldn't pay a cent for. Exhibit A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1S52y5ZVlY

Sigh. What is this even?

The original Flatliners was a criminally underrated film by the equally underrated (and unfairly hated) Joel Schumacher. I saw it once on cable and I was so glad I did, because it was more than just another cheap paranormal horror as advertised here. It had heart and emotions, and most important of all, like all good Schumacher thrillers, relatable characters.

I know it's too soon to judge just by a trailer, but damn, this trailer reminds me a lot of that movie, Project Almanac. I really don't like the "spring break kids get drunk" angle that they seem to be pushing in the trailer. It's shallow and unnecessary. The original Flatliners featured a bunch of real people, not superficial James Franco knock-offs.

The original Flatliners was a criminally underrated film by the equally underrated (and unfairly hated) Joel Schumacher. I saw it once on cable and I was so glad I did, because it was more than just another cheap paranormal horror as advertised here. It had heart and emotions, and most important of all, like all good Schumacher thrillers, relatable characters.

Huh. I confess that I always assumed it to just be cheap shovelware-equivalent horror. How would you rate it?

• Like 1

Huh. I confess that I always assumed it to just be cheap shovelware-equivalent horror. How would you rate it?

I'll admit that I haven't seen Flatliners in a very long time, so my memory could be faulty. But from what little I could remember... at least four stars out of five. I remember that there were a lot of emotional scenes in there that were well-written.

• Like 1

Another I'm looking forward to: Black Panther (2018)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWvtMOGAhw

Looks amazing. I've been more hyped about a BP movie than most other MCU heroes tbh. Glad it's come to life.

One I'm not looking forward to: X-Men Dark Phoenix (2018)

http://deadline.com/2017/06/x-men-dark-phoenix-jennifer-lawrence-michael-fassbender-james-mcavoy-simon-kinberg-1202113290/

They brought in Simon Kinberg to direct it. Taking on a story of this caliber as a first time director seems like quite a task. Hoping he can use his experience working as part of the creative team behind the franchise and learn the mistakes made from The Last Stand. What's more concerning is that there hasn't been much development leading into the Phoenix Saga. It seems too soon for it be done because Jean's relationship with Scott is a huge factor for the Phoenix Force to overwhelm her, but there was no chemistry between either of them in Apocalypse. It should've been introduced sooner so we could've seen their relationship grow more naturally and we'd be invested in the stakes. Between their relationship, the (re)introduction of the Phoenix, and introducing Lilandra and the Shi'ar Empire, it seems like a lot to work on for one movie.

Jean is supposed to be the center of it all, yet I can't help but feel like she'll be left in the background when I see the cast. The return of J-Law back as Mystique is an automatic turn-off from me. I don't want to see her mailing in another cashgrab performance, let alone her being a bigger focus in the movie than she should be. Mystique and Magneto shouldn't even be taking part in this story, but because J-Law and Fassbender are household names that will fill the seats at the cinemas, ya gotta grab em. Then again, I also wasn't a fan of Sophie Turner's Jean Grey. I don't believe she can carry this movie. I'd rather have Jessica Chastain recasted as Jean as opposed to Lilandra actually.

So yeah, not much for me to look forward to for this one :S:S

• Like 3

Soooo that Han Solo film just lost its directors while still in the middle of shooting... lol. Disaster impending

Disney jumped the gun. They announced a string of spin-offs and sequels even before The Force Awakens was released. They're in a rush to cash in on the new trilogy before they've put in the effort to build it up properly like Marvel did with their MCU. Everyone's out to imitate Marvel's formula, and Disney's Star Wars department isn't any better at it. Ironic, considering Marvel is part of Disney now.

• Agree 2

Disney jumped the gun. They announced a string of spin-offs and sequels even before The Force Awakens was released. They're in a rush to cash in on the new trilogy before they've put in the effort to build it up properly like Marvel did with their MCU. Everyone's out to imitate Marvel's formula, and Disney's Star Wars department isn't any better at it. Ironic, considering Marvel is part of Disney now.

That's how I view things. I never was interested in the spin offs myself.

• Agree 2

I wasn't really sold on the spin-offs either, although I did enjoy Rogue One and liked how different it felt compared to TFA. But by now, the Star Wars fatigue is settling in. Even before the debacle, no one has been anticipating a Han Solo spin-off. People called Rogue One unncessary, and maybe it was, but that's what this movie feels like...