What If SAO Was Done Right?

Alex Couch

After a bit of digging, I realized how terrible SAO is. It's literally nothing but fan service. You got the intense fighting scenes that have no reason of being in there at all, you got a love story that pops in out of nowhere, and then you got some weird incest thing going on halfway through. Not only that, but the characters literally remain the same throughout the entire series. There are lots of other things that make it terrible, but what makes it good is the execution of these qualities. I'm not gonna talk about what makes SAO good or bad, i'm gonna tell you what I think SAO would be like if it was actually good.

I think it was bad to make Kirito a beater. They should have made a character that was really good that was helping Kirito play the game for the first time and then after the whole ordeal with beaters, that person comes out as a beater. Then after Kirito abandons that guy in fear of being treated like garbage by the other players, he tries to figure out how to play the game. Then, while training, Kirito almost dies and then that is when Asuna appears to save to save him. Oh, also, make Asuna a tsundere. That would have been really fitting too, in my opinion. Then over time, turns out that Asuna is really good at the game, and then they create the guild. Throughout this whole entire time, Kirito is still just a baby in this game, and he's even scared to do anything, especially those special moves that they all seem to possess. Then halfway through, kill off Asuna. And as she is dying, have her say, "I love you" to Kirito, cause I mean, that whole romance thing was overdone, but kind of a good idea. So then at this point, Kirito becomes a super badass and tries to avenge Asuna.

This is all that I could think of at this moment. If you can think of anything else that could be added to this, then please say so. I wanna see how much this series could really be changed to be made into something amazing.

There's a lot that could be done to fix SAO, but I don't think your suggestions are it, no offense. Also, Asuna is a tusndere, they just sped it up like they did with everything in the first season and the manga.

For starters, leaving the world of SAO was a bad idea. If they really wanted to have these other games that the characters have played in, they should left them to the video games they've released on PlayStation. SAO though was the best possible place to have a compelling story and they ruined it. However, what we got of SAO, I wouldn't change that much, to a point. I wouldn't for example, do all of the time skips that just were just mentioned, and instead I would see that at least some of thousands of character deaths we heard of were seen. As for the shorter arcs and events that already happened, I'd keep some of them the same. The story about people being killed in town was a good mystery, even if the ending being solved by a food item was really not good at all. Instead it should have been that another person was in on it and either Kirito or Asuna caught on after witnessing it a second time, which turned out to be something that was not intended.

Where Lisbeth is concerned, I honestly think she would have been a better fit for Kirito, since Asuna was still being a tsundere and honestly, rewarding tsundere characters for acting that way needs to stop, it's just incredibly annoying at this point. Also, have her help during the fights instead of just being amazed at how god-like Kirito is. That's been old for far too long. As the end of her episodes, have her be a regular in Kirito's party, someone he allows in because he likes her deep in his heart and him admitting it and getting over the guild he lost could have been done better with a character he already had feelings for.

The next thing to really fix is the part with that kid character and her monster thing, which I can't remember the name of either of them anymore, which is kind of proof to how bad it was. First off, get rid of that stupid scene where she wants Kirito to help her without looking because virtual underwear. That scene alone brought that character to a low point she's never going to get out of. Instead, have her do something like save herself and show that she doesn't really need her pet, but that she still wants it back because it's one of the few friends she has at the time in cruel death game world. At the end where Kirito was taking all that damage and it meant nothing, have that only work because she's healing him while the other characters fail to hit her with anything because her new found confidence has increased her abilities.

Yui's intro arc, ends with her dying, flat out. Most of it can stay the same because I remember anything I hated in that arc until the part where she lived, but no to that one bit but no fishing and like Lisbeth be his girlfriend. First of all, at that point Kirito had shown himself incapable of taking damage, capable of beating a raid level boss on his own, and then he had hacker skills that one no ever has had up to this point in real life. He's too much of a god, having her die when he tried to save her would have been much better. Also, no father/mother/daughter relationship thing Kirito. Asuna can still have it and that can be the reason why Kirito tries so hard to save her, because one of his friends would be desperately sad if she dies, but let her. This is supposed to be a drama, so let drama happen. Also, by the time all these arcs have passed, only 6 months at most has gone by, and they are only around the level 25 to 30 area.

The arc where they find out who is the main villain, that can stand but it has to be at the actual end of the game, like Lisbeth, Kirito, Asuna and the rest have reached level 100, and there's no boss in sight, not until whatever the guy's name was attacks trying to kill Lisbeth to get Kirito going and then say Asuna or someone takes the blow and dies or nearly dies, having a similar effect. Honestly Kirito ending up with someone he loves should be the only real happy point and take away from this show. The rest of it needs to lined with death and drama, and not be filled with so much plot armor for anything Kirito had a chance to have a thing with and other minor characters that aren't important enough to die.

For that matter, make some more male characters who are worth a damn, and don't make Klein a desperate whiny, lonely loser type of character, because that's overdone. More than anything though, SAO just needed to slow down. There were way too many arcs that happened in too few episodes and they even cut it short because they couldn't wait to put in as many fan service episodes and harem related BS as they could possibly fit. There's a lot more that can be done, but here's some groundwork for what should have been.

I do not know that it could be improved too much, aside from having the series end with the completion of SAO.

I probably would have rounded the characters out a bit more and such though. The way they are in the anime is not bad, since it did something the first book could not, but I definitely would not have Kirito be seemingly unbeatable.

• Geano locked this topic