What is Moe?

Cy~

Help! Help! I'm basically a little bit dense when it comes to some things. Moe is actually one of those things. Basically, I have read through the TV Tropes page, wikipedia, and the urban dictionary. I still don't quite understand what exactly is "moe"?

I get the general idea. Moe is cuteness or something like it. However, I get lost when it comes to specifics, because it seems to me that almost all anime are "cute" in some way or form.

How do you recognize moe when you see it? Help me out, because I am completely and utterly lost here. Is there some handy rule of thumb that one should use? Or, is this one of those things where the word has lost all meaning?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

DISCLAIMER: NOT AN EXPERT

From what I know, "moe" has the meaning of a cute girl that gives an aura of vulnerability, triggering your inner-chauvinism, and therefore, making you want to protect her, adore her, hug her. It's more of a feeling than a character trait. That's why little sister characters are the ideal version of moe, because their vulnerability essentially bring the "protective big brother" outta you, literally or otherwise.

Of course, that original definition has been lost over the years, and it probably became more generalized into just cuteness alone. Now anything fluffy and pink are considered moe.

Personally, I don't really care. I don't hate cute things every once in a while, but I feel anime's bloated with them and gave non-anime fans a distorted image of what anime really is. I think it's one reason why anime has a distinct style, one which I don't necessarily like. The 'chibi' style that's often associated with moe is something American animations try to imitate, thinking that's what anime looks like in general. Sigh. See why I don't like to define anime by a single art style alone? It's like saying all American comic books are about superheroes.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

DISCLAIMER: NOT AN EXPERT

Could have fooled me, tbh.

I think that the answers I received in this topic have actually brought me to an understanding of what moe is, and now I'm a tiny bit sad, since I suddenly understand that so many characters that I've liked were PURPOSELY ENGINEERED TO BE CUTE.

The feeling that I have is kind of like the feeling that I had when I realized that...

Santa Claus isn't real. Actually, no, that was a sense of relief. I was always a little confused about why an older, obese white guy would sneak into homes and leave gifts for little children. Made me wonder what he was into. I would sleep with a can of mace by my side during Christmas Eve, when I was little. Just in case things with Santa got a little weird.

No, but really. It actually does kill my suspension of disbelief now to look back and say, "Oh. This is a trope. In fact, it isn't that this character is this way due to any particular combination of circumstances. It's that they needed to be this way because the writers were consciously aware of moe.

Am I overreacting here? :?

• Like 1

I'm Moe...

As someone said in another topic...

Moe. Just moe.

This needs to stop.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I think your name is cute, and your avatar is actually a good example of this topic. Now, my only question is... Did you name yourself Moe with the intent to be cute or is it an accident of circumstances?

• Like 2

As someone said in another topic...

Nah, I'm just kidding. I think your name is cute, and your avatar is actually a good example of this topic. Now, my only question is... Did you name yourself Moe with the intent to be cute or is it an accident of circumstances?

My username from years ago was Mo'Steel but was shorten to Mo and I just added the E because I love cute things.

• Informative 1

• Geano locked this topic