What is the most mind bending anime you've ever watched?

scarlet reaper

you mean like

Code Geass , Ergo Proxy

Neon Genesis Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell

or Grisaia no Kajitsu (The Fruit of Grisaia)

maybe Psycho Pass

then theres akin to Another

then theres darker

Cossette no Shouzou (Le Portrait de Petit Cossette)

also just kinda out there types

Haibane Renmei

ps I forgot to add Gurren Lagann to some this is well just out there different so it might make the list and like the others I think is worth seeing as well

Edited by Guest
  • Winner 1

I am assuming you mean just unusual or psychologically challenging when you say "mind bending". I am still enjoying Ergo Proxy, it has a way to constantly blow my mind. However I have found some really intense Anime over the years of watching, such as:

1. Mnemosyne

2. Denpa-teki na Kanojo

3. Sweat Punch

4. Pale Cocoon

5. Kure-nai

These I would say are some of the tops of that description I have seen so far.

I just woke up from an unplanned three hour nap, so my brain is a bit hazy. Bear with me if I seem a bit goofy in how I'm putting things here.

Mind bending? Everyone's definition is going to vary a fair bit, but I think I'd go with...

1: Monster.

2: Erased.

3: Another.

I suppose to me, I look at 'mind bending anime' to be something with a strong element of mystery that doesn't play out anything like how I might possibly have expected. Sure, you've got crack dream anime that are just weird, but I tend to find that anime that tries too hard to focus on the WHOA DUDE, DEEP element to generally fall up short... I mean, if a show has its strangeness level dialed up to max all of the time, the strangeness can itself become mundane to the viewer.

Basically, I'm a firm believer that the complexity of a story has less than zero bearing on the story's level of quality, or mind-bendfullness.

With all that said, all of the anime I've selected are (at least on the surface, obviously there's some mystical goofiness involved) are relatively grounded in reality: they all take place in our world, the modern day, feature characters that for the most part are fairly mundane, etc.

I picked Monster because --- well, let's face it. When I went into the show with zero spoilers, almost zero existing knowledge, and no expectations, I would never have guessed that things would have gone the way they did - especially toward the end. The fact that the show is often fairly mundane in its events means that when things do get strange, the strangeness hits you like a sack of bricks.

Erased does a bit more choreographing about where it's going, but the story still managed to surprise the ever loving heck out of me at numerous points. I'll give them points for the fact that toward the end, I thought that the person that the show seemed to be building up as a villain was a bluff. Then I thought it was a double bluff. Then, it felt like a triple bluff. You get the idea. That's a perfect example of what I consider mind bending.

Another managed to hit similar notes for me, though the story is admittedly further detached from reality than the other two examples, though with that said, I have immense respect for the fact that if you were really paying attention throughout the entire show, the eventual reveal of who the extra character was will make you feel silly for not realizing it well in advance. That one twist was so well executed in my opinion, that it's enough to place it on my list.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I just woke up from an unplanned three hour nap, so my brain is a bit hazy. Bear with me if I seem a bit goofy in how I'm putting things here.

Mind bending? Everyone's definition is going to vary a fair bit, but I think I'd go with...

1: Monster.

2: Erased.

3: Another.

I suppose to me, I look at 'mind bending anime' to be something with a strong element of mystery that doesn't play out anything like how I might possibly have expected. Sure, you've got crack dream anime that are just weird, but I tend to find that anime that tries too hard to focus on the WHOA DUDE, DEEP element to generally fall up short... I mean, if a show has its strangeness level dialed up to max all of the time, the strangeness can itself become mundane to the viewer.

This deconstruction is so beautiful, I was going to go for this but I enjoy both dailed up strangeness and well driven as you suppose, dependant on my mind set at the time. Another really good one to add to your list is:

Welcome to the NHK.

I am yet to see Monster and Another, but I have heard good things, just have to invest time into it I guess haha.

• Like 1

This deconstruction is so beautiful, I was going to go for this but I enjoy both dailed up strangeness and well driven as you suppose, dependant on my mind set at the time. Another really good one to add to your list is:

Welcome to the NHK.

I am yet to see Monster and Another, but I have heard good things, just have to invest time into it I guess haha.

Welcome to NHK is pretty screwed up, but definitely a fun watch. It has been years since I read the novel that the anime is based on, but iirc the anime toned things down a fair bit - if you can believe that.

Another is a very approachable and pleasant anime to watch imo. It's very easy to recommend.

Monster is a little tricky. It has a very slow start, and the story can feel a little dragged out at times. It's good, but I imagine a lot of folks bail out before reaching the end.

Monster is a little tricky. It has a very slow start, and the story can feel a little dragged out at times. It's good, but I imagine a lot of folks bail out before reaching the end.

Yeah, I have watched about 3 episodes of it I can feel the slowness of it, but I can appreciate the slow, because like most things when taken slow, it will be better produced. This is true of Anime just as it is most things in life.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

One thing I never see a lot people talk about is Paranoia Agent. That anime is extremely odd with a lot of pace changes despite it not being that many episodes. The first few episodes are just interesting because seeing people's paranoia and self-doubt culminate to their eventual murder is really enticing and different. The whole anime could have been that and I would have been fine with it. Then however, an agent shows up who is trying to catch the murderer and it goes rather fantasy style in a modern setting for some odd reason. I mean, it all seems to be in said agent's head, as were often shifted in between what he sees and what's actually happening, but it just gets so out there.

• Like 1

ah Boku no Pico.

one I wish I was never recommended , wish I never started wish I never hear again

cant remember how much of first ep I did see and don't want to remember either

alas I thought id forgotten

blank out blank out lalalalala

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, most of us have seen some pretty weird ones, recently i've watched danganrompa and the future diary and i wonder what other animes like these that you guys have seen?

One of the most mind - bending snime series' I've ever watched was Btooom, which I saw last week; I watched the entire series in a single morning! Unfortunately, since it's so underrated, the cliff-hanger will never be resolved since they won't be making a second season any time soon. :(

• Agree 1

• Geano locked this topic