What kind of anime would you make?

Cy~

If you could make an anime, any anime at all, what kind of anime would it be? There's no wrong answer here! :)

To answer this question, you can assume that you have unlimited budget, and you can hire anyone that you want to work with you on it. You can be as specific or as general as you want to be. You can even choose to redo an existing show. The only question is... What would you make? (o^.^o)

My own answer is probably going to seem amazingly shallow. I would make a inverted slice of life anime with ample yuri, judicious amounts of fan service, eldritch abominations, Hiroyuki Sawano making my soundtrack, Kyoto Animation making the visuals, and me doing the writing (because, it would be cool as hell to write for my own show!) I would also bring on board Gen Urobuchi as a story consultant, because no one can stop me :hot:.

Errr... Anyway. That happened. :angel: What would you make?

• Like 2

The third season for darker than black. If I had to make my own anime, A hellish world where the main character goes around killing things and philosophises about life. Probably saves a girl at some point, bangs her, falls in love etc. Maybe offer him or the girl up as sacrificial pawns to showcase some deeper meaning, or as a catalyst for revenge, or just good storytelling. Kill my darlings. Probably the goal of the story would be to strip the main character down to the rawest form of human existence and then have him overcome this and survive, having realised the truth of life, his impermanence, his desires and how little he really has to lose. Something like that.

• Like 2

I'd want to make a very adult horror anime. Not sure if I'd want a continuous story or a different story for each episode. I think I'd rather do a collection of stories instead of just one continuous story. Could go for the middle ground and make each story around three episodes each

• Winner 3

A slow burning, tastefully done slice of life romantic comedy in the grand tradition of Clannad, following a regular young woman in high school as she finds romance with a strange girl that has recently transferred to her school, continuing on beyond graduation as they face the trials and tribulations of life together.

The catch: the love interest would be a snake girl.

lol.jpg.c4d1a77ccb3fc6ef9021926a2db7ad38.jpg

I see you judging me. Stop it. :'(

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Something that deconstructs familiar tropes. I love shows with deconstruction, as it provides the opportunity to do something new with something old.

More than that, I would want to do a crossover featuring some of my favorite anime characters. If there's another thing I love, it's variety, and featuring characters from different genre of anime would provide a very interesting experience full of variety (kinda like Durarara, where you get many different anime archetypes).

But above all, I want to make my audience cry like a little b****. :P I think it's the most wonderful thing in the world to cry as you watch a show. It's cathartic, giving you the relief you'd need on a bad day, so I would love to provide that service for my audience. Plus, I just like emotional stories like that. Don't expect my anime to be light-hearted though. I feel that, with my taste, my anime will definitely turn out to be very bleak and depressing. xD I'm not even sure if there's a happy ending.

• Like 1

My anime would be set in a steampunk themed world where everything works with gears and pullies instead of the more advanced mechanical machines we're now used to ... Almost all forms of religion have been abolished and Catholicism is the only one left that is actually practiced and believed, although a few different religious books are still allowed just not openly taught anywhere.

The story would focus on a young, 20 some year old kid with a knack for creating, which is completely banned and punishable by death in this world.

Due to these rules his Parents were convicted and killed for being the inventors they were, this led our protagonist to take up their work along with the title of "Exorcist" seeing as anyone with the sort of inventions he has is seen as a witch/wizard and promptly killed for the practice of witchcraft; he works with a very quiet and somewhat troubled 12 year old who he saved from starvation after finding her on the streets one cold night ... They share a brother-sister bond and he takes care of her as best he can seeing as his whole lifestyle puts her in danger; they both work in the cover of darkness most often and take up the names "Schwarze" and “Nachtkrapp” to keep their true identities a secret.

I've got quiet a bit of the plot already thought out since I plan on writing this as a book ... It would most likely have a lot of different elements since I'd like to really delve into the psyche of the protagonist as I throw obstacles his way; one, which I've already though up, that will be totally depressing and absolutely heart-breaking for both him and his sidekick ...

• Like 2

Its not a "could you make" I will make a anime... I already started the story and I am dabbling in animation IT WILL HAPPEN...

The anime would be a action/adventure fantasy, it is based around a group of friends eh hem I mean assassins they go around killing anyone that they are paid to and one day they get dragged into a war for the world.... WHEN I MAKE THIS YOU ALL WILL SEE IT!!!!

• Like 4

I'd honestly probably write a story not unlike the dot hack games and anime's. Characters in an MMO fighting a threat that could harm the outside world, character driven moments that even the most desensitized fan could enjoy. Things of that nature that can really change peoples perspective on things.

• Like 1

Oh boy, this question is a tuffy to answer. I choose to forgo the anime redo question, and go ahead and answer the question for the anime I would make.

I would like to make an anime that focuses on the elemental creatures and/or warriors. BTW, I'm aware that Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra did that theme already.

• Like 2

I've got quiet a bit of the plot already thought out since I plan on writing this as a book ...

I already started the story and I am dabbling in animation IT WILL HAPPEN...

It's actually pretty cool that the two of you are *actually* working on creating something with the story lines that you have described here. For whatever it's worth, I would be interested in reading/watching either of your ideas. They sound interesting! :o

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly 1

If I could make an anime, with no limitations on resources, I would make an anime with holy weapons, and with modern day human beings as knights. The holy weapons would be from heaven, to defeat the demons and monsters that are here on Earth. I would definitely hire the people that made the early Final Fantasy series, and have them make video games about it too.

• Like 1

I have actually spent a decent amount of time throughout the last few months coming up with a potential anime I would make. After viewing a lot of anime, I think it would only be natural to have thoughts of the sort. Originally, I had only thought about writing the story/script for the anime, and left myself to thinking about actually producing it later on. This thread really prompted me to think about my envisioned story as an actual anime more. So thanks Cy~, you really know how to pick the right questions to ask! :P

This is the first time I am writing my ideas down, so it would be easier for me in bullet points.

Story

-- Around 39 episodes long. One season, with no continuation.

-- The genres it will fit in will be somewhere in between Slice Of Life, Drama and Romance

-- Core themes would be about friendship, love and family.

-- Revolves around an ensemble cast of about 5-8 teenagers in high school.

-- There will be love triangles, unrequited love etc. but the people the main cast of characters fall for needn't be in the main cast itself. Characters are allowed to find love outside their main circle of friends. Also, not everybody will want to/ be in love.

-- Will be rated R, since I will want to include a bit of sex and mild nudity.

-- It will start off slowly with a primarily Slice Of Life feel to it. So the characters, and the dynamic between them can be developed before jumping into the meat of the story entirely. This will take around 12 episodes at least.

-- The middle episodes of 12 - 27 or so will be individual character(s) arcs as we follow them for around 2-4 episodes each and experience their individual thoughts/ perspectives of school, friends, family... The period we experience with different characters will be in chronological order but can overlap. Meaning that the audience can view the same event twice through many different perspectives. The goal of doing this is to give the viewer a more personal connection to the characters and show them the fact that the same issue can be looked at may different ways. (This also helps sell character merchandise :P)

-- The final 12 or so episodes will be taking advantage of all of the character development done in prior ones. Characters will go through ideological conflicts about morals, their future, love etc. to heighten the drama. This will be effective because the viewer will know where each and every character is coming from and empathize that way. There is not anyone that is definitively right or wrong. The conflicts will resolve towards the end of the series... somehow or another. (I haven't thought much about the ending yet, so please bear with me.)

Characters (It won't be ultra-specific since I haven't thought about this to great length before.)

-- The main pairing would either be a straight one or a yuri one. I honestly can't decide, although I am slightly leaning towards yuri - due to the fact that there aren't many of those in anime. Also, I find yuri really appealing and attractive as a male viewer. This relationship would be developed throughout the course of the first 24 episodes, and they would be a pair by the final arc.

-- If the main pairing is not a yuri one, there will still definitely be one among the main cast. This relationship will be developed by episode 24, and then be allowed to run its course for the rest of the series.

-- The characters will be diverse, but not too diverse. I want it to be actually believable that a group of people like this IRL would be friends. So they need to have a reason to be friends with the rest of the main cast.

-- They will be intelligent and self-aware, to an extent. I really dislike it when characters are plain dumb in anime, since it's hardly believable that those kinds of people really exist. And I do feel that characters need to be like real people in primarily Slice Of Life and Drama anime. So these characters may not understand their feelings/ thoughts at first, but they will want to find out.

-- They need to have backbone. By this, I mean they wouldn't be completely hopeless without the others around. They need to be wholesome people on their own. (That's also another reason for the individual character arcs.

-- The characters will also be mature. I think that is needed for a more psychological/ dramatic Slice Of Life anime like this one. Plus, high-schoolers in Japan are also kind of considered adults.

-- There will be a girl that does cute stuff. That's needed. :D But not because she's dumb or anything. Rather, she likes doing it, or wants to appear that way to the people around her.

Art

-- Two words. Studio Shaft.

-- I want every shot to be interesting (The Monogatari Series). Plus, I like my visual metaphors (The ef Series).

-- I also really like their willingness to change things in the OP and ED to suit the state of the show better.

Music

-- Composed by Satoru Kousaki as he has the ability to craft deeply emotional and moving classical pieces and more poppy and fun counterparts to suit the show.

-- Will avoid using overly high-pitched and squeaky J-Pop for the OP and EDs.

OPs and EDs

-- One for the first 12-ish episodes.

-- One for each character arc in the mid-section of the series that fully captures the characters in a short few minutes.

-- One for the last arc.

-- They will also evolve and change depending on the state of the show.

---

That's the rough idea for now. I may develop it more in the future and eventually put it into actual words. I may not even go through with this concept at all.

But right now, if I were to make an anime - it would be this one. :D

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Winner 1

I'm going to sink deep into myself for this one.

If I had to create any anime to my liking, it would more than likely include the following:

-Plenty of fanservice as my inner female craves this and I'm literal trash.

-A mecha story line that had crazy amounts of action YET also had a deep and beautiful story line.

(Mecha is actually one of my favorite genres of anime. Yet it has been difficult for me to find a mecha that has lived up to my expectation completely. I tend to find that while some have lots of action, they lack story depth. And then some that have great depth, lack substantial amounts of action.)

-It holds a ship that is unfavored by the majority of watchers THAT ACTUALLY LASTS.

(I always end up shipping couples that either die or never work out. Why is this? That or I sink into a shounen anime and we all know how that works out. You ship a couple and then there's little fanservice)

-Something with a little bittersweet in it. Yeah, somewhat contradictory to my last statement, but I like bittersweet moments as well.

-It lasts more than 13 freakin episodes.

(Every time I find an anime I absolutely adore, it's short lived. Why. Can it at least be 26?)

-More story line than fillers.

(I hate when an anime is really good and in depth, but then they throw a crap ton of fillers in the middle. Why? You're wasting my time. I WANT INTENSITY. ALL THE TIME.)

I've had a few drinks and probably none of this makes sense.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Mmm, @Frost - your post intrigues me. This is not a critique, just joining you in contemplating an idea deeply.

Plenty of fanservice as my inner female craves this and I'm literal trash.

As long as it's yuri, I'll totally buy into this, ahahaha.

A mecha story line that had crazy amounts of action YET also had a deep and beautiful story line.

This sounds good to me. It seems like, as you say, most mecha anime tilt one way or the other. The probable reason for this is that the writers themselves prefer one type of story or the other. The kind of people that are good at writing/storyboarding action don't tend to be the kind that are also good at balancing - they're really narrow into their specialty.

Which would you say would be your strength as a writer? How would you bridge the gap?

I always end up shipping couples that either die or never work out.

That's a strange outcome! Are they straight or non-straight couples? For reasons unknown to me, almost all fictional relationships that don't fit a certain societal standard end up collapsing into the abyss.

Though, that could also be because it's easier for writers to get a bittersweet outcome by slaughtering a backup romance without sacrificing their primary couple. I've noticed that a lot of anime go for the cheap thrills. I actually expect it, these days - especially from mecha anime. I really, really like the idea of the approach in your post.

-Something with a little bittersweet in it. Yeah, somewhat contradictory to my last statement, but I like bittersweet moments as well.

Kill off one of the characters in the most popular shipping for the bittersweetness. Have the unfavored ship invite the survivor to form a strange polygamous threesome. Though, I suppose that would be bittersweet and a little weird, hahaha.

It lasts more than 13 freakin episodes

Maybe compromise with two 13 episode seasons? This gives an excuse to blow budget on a ridiculous season closer twice! I think that this format also keeps the story moving crisply, by preventing arcs from becoming stale over the course of more than two-dozen episodes.

More story line than fillers

You're going to need really good writers. Well, no, that's not true. You're going to need hungry writers - the kind that have a story to tell and can't help but lust to put it all out there as quickly as they possibly can, with little to no care for all of the fluff. To be honest, I think that this is the type of writer that a mecha anime should always have - writers that grasp how to make a story that cuts like a scalpel, straight through its own meta.

I actually really like mecha anime, but I have a love/hate relationship with the genre. On one hand, I like it, on the other hand, it pisses me off enough that I sometimes want to delete the entire genre. Still, I almost always end up watching a mecha anime, once again hoping that it doesn't startle me out of my suspension of disbelief.

I would watch your mecha anime, I think.

• Winner 1

I love a good space opera, so I'd probably go with that. Just ships though. No Gundams or transformations here.

Maybe a love story in the same vein as Crest of the Stars. (Human and Alien)

Emotional yet bombastic soundtrack. Something like Blood+ or Sword of the Stranger.

Yup. Basically, I want an anime version of Babylon 5.

• Like 1

Something along the likes of a crossover between date a live and danganronpa.

And the characters would all have offspring, that grow up with them during the series.

It would be set in the past like (early victorian era)

and feature classical music as the soundtrack

with a Japanese dub of some fame and merit.

• Winner 1

So I'm not too familiar with professional animators, writers, etc, but if/when I make an anime, I want it to be very abstract and creative. One of the things I love about anime is escaping reality, so I would definitely create a world with its own laws and probably magic. It would also most likely be in a medieval setting.

OOOORRRR

I would make a Pokemon reboot similar to the B2W2 trailer. It would be a much mature version with an in depth plot, character deaths, and better romance.

• Like 1

If you could make an anime, any anime at all, what kind of anime would it be? There's no wrong answer here! :)

To answer this question, you can assume that you have unlimited budget, and you can hire anyone that you want to work with you on it. You can be as specific or as general as you want to be. You can even choose to redo an existing show. The only question is... What would you make? (o^.^o)

My own answer is probably going to seem amazingly shallow. I would make a inverted slice of life anime with ample yuri, judicious amounts of fan service, eldritch abominations, Hiroyuki Sawano making my soundtrack, Kyoto Animation making the visuals, and me doing the writing (because, it would be cool as hell to write for my own show!) I would also bring on board Gen Urobuchi as a story consultant, because no one can stop me :hot:.

Errr... Anyway. That happened. :angel: What would you make?

i would make a darker pokemon show. something would happen that the world isnt in peace anymore and ppl are fighting to live not just for badges. maybe mewtwo became all strong and destroyed and rebuilt the world in his image, and a small group of trainers have to find him and take him down before he kills every last human there is. always wanted something like that. if your pokemon faints he dies and there is no bring him back.

• Like 2

i would make a darker pokemon show. something would happen that the world isnt in peace anymore and ppl are fighting to live not just for badges. maybe mewtwo became all strong and destroyed and rebuilt the world in his image, and a small group of trainers have to find him and take him down before he kills every last human there is. always wanted something like that. if your pokemon faints he dies and there is no bring him back.

Actually, tbh, a darker pokemon show seems like it would make a lot of sense. The cheerful nature of the original show and the games always kinda threw me off. I mean, you have a world built entirely around the concept of people using animals in street fighting and combat arenas. Yet, somehow, the place is all vibrant and cheerful and everyone is good natured. Doesn't actually make a lot of sense to me. I agree with your concept. Hardcore pokemon should be a thing. :0

• Like 3

Actually, tbh, a darker pokemon show seems like it would make a lot of sense. The cheerful nature of the original show and the games always kinda threw me off. I mean, you have a world built entirely around the concept of people using animals in street fighting and combat arenas. Yet, somehow, the place is all vibrant and cheerful and everyone is good natured. Doesn't actually make a lot of sense to me. I agree with your concept. Hardcore pokemon should be a thing. :0

im happy im not the only one to think that. could never get into it cause i felt like there wasnt no real threat in the show

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic