Latest Acquisitions

The History Kid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is it indeed the world's strongest coffee? No idea. But, it definitely smells amazing in the bag, and I can't wait to brew some tomorrow morning.

deathwishcoffee.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

12 hours ago, viruxx said:

Is it indeed the world's strongest coffee? No idea. But, it definitely smells amazing in the bag, and I can't wait to brew some tomorrow morning.

It's a full-bodied coffee for sure. I'm not sure that I'd go so far to say it's the world's "strongest" coffee (although it's possible that could have something to do with my grinds/water ratio), but it no doubt blows the more common household brands out of the water. Brewed it in a French press, and it was rather delightful. I'm going to try an espresso with this next time. That said, while this coffee is good, I still prefer a medium roast.

They were handing out mission-branded refrigerator magnets at work today.  (Launch was scrubbed but they let us keep the swag.  Next try NET Friday.)

6CA41DF9-37B6-4ADC-8E73-8BB8DD6D087F.thumb.jpeg.cf9963f415ed6d623d43cdfe659a17ba.jpeg

13 hours ago, Animedragon said:

It never ceases to amaze me that PC's are sold with hard drives that small these days.

I tend to go small on the boot drive too.  I put in the highest-performing SSD that I can afford, then net-mount my files from a Synology NAS across the LAN.  Makes boots quick and keeps my data safe from (most) harm.  I'd be ok with a 250G drive.  As long as the OS fits and can get the system to the point it can access the network I'm good.  One of my older systems is still using a 40G drive.

Edited by efaardvark
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

41 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

They were handing out mission-branded refrigerator magnets at work today.  (Launch was scrubbed but they let us keep the swag.  Next try NET Friday.)

6CA41DF9-37B6-4ADC-8E73-8BB8DD6D087F.thumb.jpeg.cf9963f415ed6d623d43cdfe659a17ba.jpeg

Nice swag. Shame about the launch, but a wise decision if things aren't 100% ready for launch.

On the matter of the 250GB hard drive. I can see how a drive of that size would be fine if you're accessing your data on a NAS over a LAN.

Just received these three DVD sets.
Little Busters is a series I've thought about watching for several years, but various reviews, comments and YouTube clips had me wondering if it was a series I'd like, and the DVD sets were rather expensive and certainly more than I was prepared to pay for a series I might not like.
Then I found an on-line shop doing a clearance offer, all three sets for £12 and free postage, it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Little-Busters.jpg

• Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got this little beauty in today. It's a Pilot Metropolitan fountain pen, fine nib. I'm going to seriously try revisiting the lost art of penmanship (lord knows, my penmanship is atrocious 🤢). It's going to take a little getting used to, because unlike a ballpoint pen, it doesn't require as much pressure (barely any pressure, actually) to get the ink flowing. It can also bleed through the paper if you're not careful with it. So far I like it, though. 😃

fountain_pen1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

WOW! A real pen! It must be a couple of decades since I last used one of those. They were almost a requirement at school, you were sort of looked down on if you didn't have one, as I recall my first one had little lever on the side to suck up ink from a bottle into its internal ink sac. The arrival of cartridge pens were much less messy and meant you never had to worry about running out of ink as you could carry spare ink without worrying if the bottle would leak in your bag, which happened to most people eventually. You could have a couple of spare ink cartridges in your blazer pocket quite safely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Animedragon said:

WOW! A real pen! It must be a couple of decades since I last used one of those. They were almost a requirement at school, you were sort of looked down on if you didn't have one, as I recall my first one had little lever on the side to suck up ink from a bottle into its internal ink sac. The arrival of cartridge pens were much less messy and meant you never had to worry about running out of ink as you could carry spare ink without worrying if the bottle would leak in your bag, which happened to most people eventually. You could have a couple of spare ink cartridges in your blazer pocket quite safely.

Sadly, you don't see these kinds of pens in wide use over here in the States that much, except maybe in the once in a while formal or business settings, or if the odd someone just uses them for personal reasons. When looking into how to improve penmanship, almost everyone that had anything to say about it said, "Get a fountain pen and some decent paper that can take the ink." This pen writes really smooth. I'm kinda sad I didn't have one until now. Feels like I missed out in a way.

This pen came with one black ink cartridge and a bulb-type converter to draw ink into the pen from a bottle, but it doesn't hold that much (maybe around 0.2 or 0.3 ml?). I might invest in a larger capacity converter with the screw-type piston mechanism to draw up ink and use the bulb when cleaning the pen. Might pick up a few extra carts just for good measure too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, viruxx said:

Sadly, you don't see these kinds of pens in wide use over here in the States that much, except maybe in the once in a while formal or business settings, or if the odd someone just uses them for personal reasons. When looking into how to improve penmanship, almost everyone that had anything to say about it said, "Get a fountain pen and some decent paper that can take the ink." This pen writes really smooth. I'm kinda sad I didn't have one until now. Feels like I missed out in a way.

This pen came with one black ink cartridge and a bulb-type converter to draw ink into the pen from a bottle, but it doesn't hold that much (maybe around 0.2 or 0.3 ml?). I might invest in a larger capacity converter with the screw-type piston mechanism to draw up ink and use the bulb when cleaning the pen. Might pick up a few extra carts just for good measure too.

I don't think many people use them here in the UK either, I think it must be a couple of years since I saw someone use one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

if someone know how this old computer works please let me know since I can't make it start

Looking at the screen size it looks like quite an old machine as 4:3 aspect monitors went out of fashion years ago. It's probably not been used for a while and the battery is knackered (to use a technical term) if you've got the mains charger for it it might work on mains power only. There's also the possibility that it suffered a fatal system crash the last time it was used, I had an old laptop which I used fairly regularly then one day on starting it displayed a an error message and crashed. I've never been able to start it since.

• Like 1

Finally! Got my 3D resin print of my Main from OW !! Genji Shimada !
In my Animation & Graphic Design class, we have 3D printers that do mostly resin prints, but also PLA prints as well. 

This is an awesome thing to have, and i'm so glad I have it! After 9hrs and 15 min of wait time (9hrs for the printing process, 5 minutes for the curing, and 10 minutes for the heating) I finally have him! Huzzah!!!

IMG_20221026_182051.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 2

9 hours ago, efaardvark said:

My consciousness has arrived at a point where the worldlines of my corporeal presence and that of a Radeon 6600XT exist in close proximity.

image0.thumb.jpeg.19f6dc7c02a76ab5e2121d72f70e4176.jpeg

So you got nice new powerful graphics card. 😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

So you got nice new powerful graphics card. 😎

Relative to my 6yo RX480 card, yes.  A 4090 it is not, but then again it didn’t cost $1600 either, or require that I purchase a new power supply for the system.  :D

I haven’t had a chance to install it or run benchmarks but it should be about twice as fast as my 480.  My old card benches at about a 3Dmark score of 8800.  This one should do maybe 17000 while only requiring about 30 watts more power.  Same amount of RAM (8G) as the old card.  It also includes hardware support for various video codecs that have been changed or added in the last half decade.

• Like 1