Latest Acquisitions

The History Kid

7 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I just wanted the Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro 3D support

I can see that, er.. you know what I mean.  :D 

Actually, if we're talking special formats I guess I am kind of interested in some of the 4K+ work being done with 360-degree streaming formats.  That + a good VR rig could be awesome.  Even 4k might not be enough for HD-quality, 360-degree FOV.  You want to talk huge bandwidth requirements though...  🙀

On 10/25/2019 at 4:00 PM, Hoffin2 said:

I recently bought new earphones.....they are my 4th pair of earphones in this year, and all of the 4 were quality branded...I keep breaking them :(

I use cheap ones when I'm outside my home since that's time where they're most likely to break and some high quality ones at home where I'm more careful. In the long run, I think that's the cheapest method.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, The History Kid said:

What brand are you using?

A few brands have rugged versions, but in general - earphones are earphones. 32 AUG wire is flimsy no matter how you cut it.

Currently I'm using 'Boat' 

19 hours ago, leinwandname said:

I use cheap ones when I'm outside my home since that's time where they're most likely to break and some high quality ones at home where I'm more careful. In the long run, I think that's the cheapest method.

Yeah, I started doing the same for a while, but having two earphones makes me uncomfortable....idk why

On 10/28/2019 at 8:21 PM, The History Kid said:

Those are generally rebranded B-stock out of China. Look for tried and true brands forward, Sennheiser and Klipsch both have reasonably priced ear phones and are some of the best brands on the consumer market. They also have rugged lines.  Denon made some once upon a time too, but I don't recall if they were any more or less durable. Stay away from punchline brands like Sony, Boss and Skullcandy, you're paying entirely for the name and not at all for the SQ.

I totally get your point..

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Found this bundle of DVD's on Ebay with:

- Ghost in the Shell: SAC (All 7 Volumes)

- Speed Grapher (All 6 Volumes)

- Erementar Gerad (All 6 Volumes)

- Moribito Full Series

- Air (Full Series)

Plus a bunch of movies: Vampire Hunter D (Special Edition), Patlabor, Blue Gender, etc. 

I'm an absolute sucker for DVD's and 2000-2007 animes. Only issue was that they're R1 imports and don't play in my portable player but oh well. IMG_20191211_150937.thumb.jpg.9ee94e7629bfdfdd63ffaba4c2120488.jpgIMG_20191211_152016.thumb.jpg.e93356478fb8580454a7c504e006539a.jpgIMG_20191211_151936.thumb.jpg.9d370a740dc15df4fcdd892ee491dd99.jpgIMG_20191211_152208.thumb.jpg.c379f8a27c480d60fb2eec97872cba9e.jpg

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

I've been selling all of mine lately.

I probably will as well years down the line. Right now I just have a thing about having physical copies of stuff. I'm the same with books. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 1:51 AM, RZ. said:

Blue Gender

That's kind of hard to find anymore.  I went looking for it a few years ago to add to my plex collection but nobody had it in stock.

19 hours ago, IIVIsouljam said:

Speed Grapher! 😍 It's so difficult to find fans. 😭

One of the most messed up series I've ever seen and that's why it's awesome 😅

19 hours ago, efaardvark said:

That's kind of hard to find anymore.  I went looking for it a few years ago to add to my plex collection but nobody had it in stock.

It's only Blue Gender: Warrior which you can find on amazon pretty cheaply. The TV series is harder to find but I think it might be on Ebay. 

This year is really the year i'm really starting to focus more and more on looking for anime dvds and manga as while i already did had a few growing up now its really starting to grow more and more whenever i find something i think is cool be it on amazon or while shoping at the second hand video stores. 

Lets just say that my collection is "modest and leave it at that".

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Zila said:

Got a travel Chinese tea set for when I go camping. Used it twice already and love it! 

Hide contents

0000026545.thumb.jpg.76e2fe75aea68689dd4561a266a42a59.jpg

Gonna start calling you Rin 🏕️

spacer.png

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Just got a box of light bulbs.  Exciting, right?  Just part of my ongoing quest to find decent LED bulbs now that my state has basically outlawed the old incandescent and halogen bulbs.  This batch is on the recommendation of a co-worker on a similar quest.  At $20 for a six-pack I was kind of expecting these to make me coffee in the morning but they're apparently just light bulbs.  That said, these do dim well, fit in the space of a regular "A19" bulb, don't noticeably flicker*, and even at just 14 watts they're as bright as the old kind.  I just got these so I still have to see how long they last of course.  I've yet to find any LEDs that last as long as a good incandescent, never mind some of the claims of 20 years or more.

IMG_0484.thumb.jpg.ad714d89ddfce98903e36d11035a874a.jpgIMG_0485.thumb.jpg.ef06a52e3aa537d41228c29755905ae6.jpg

*except a little bit at extreme dimming levels where it is actually tolerable.. kind of like flickering candlelight.

Edited by efaardvark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Got a mini-pc assembled and attached to the den TV.  Tiny little thing.. about 6" tall by 3" wide.  Came barebones so I've had a pile of parts sitting in the den silently staring at me for the last couple days but I finally put it all together and got it booted into an OS.  I put system76's Pop!_OS (basically rebranded Ubuntu 20.04) on it for now since I had a USB stick with the .iso on it already.  Might upgrade to 20.10.  We'll see.  Been too busy to actually do much with it yet but it boots & with just a web browser it can connect to the household Plex server, youtube, etc.  This is the last "TV" in the house, in the sense of old-school cable/broadcast TV+tuner.  Been doing the cable-cutting thing for years now & this is the last hold-out.

Note the blue glow.  Can't get away from the blasted RGB blinkenlights these days but the default display mode is understated enough that I'm not quite motivated enough - yet - to get into the BIOS and see if I can change it.

IMG_0709.thumb.jpg.46fa85ca5ba93b8805d0073d76637697.jpg

• 2 months later...

Got a new pair of wireless headphones last week for when I play KSP.  (Some people tell me that exploding rocket noises in the middle of the night keep them awake.   Whatev.)  I'm liking them.  Not only are they much more comfortable and less plastic-y than the old logitech "gaming" headphones they're replacing, they're visually more appealing as well.  The Logitech pair had a prominent and glowing "G" that you could not turn off without using the (Windows, naturally) configuration app.  These new ones have a barely-visible LED on the power switch and that's it.  I hate the RGB-everything fad that's taken over computing recently.  Reminds me of the "toilet seat" era of Apple Macs.. no performance benefit, more expensive, and looks like crap.  But I like these headphones.

IMG_0851.thumb.jpg.fb9f6f217e050e81a159e8a7a7513309.jpg

• 1 month later...