The History Kid

Latest Acquisitions

I got a matching-not-matching twin today.  This one is black and near mint - even though its older than the one I already had.  Think the smaller 9mm S&W will be getting sold soon.

IMG_20191219_191203.thumb.jpg.b60f4506652b4b921cd918281cf892f5.jpg

• Like 1

My weaknesses are books. I used a Christmas gift card to buy the whole Poldark set. 😆

20200102_105759.jpg

• Like 1

Got a new watercolor palette since the one I normally use finally went kaput on me. Also got a portable watercolor palette kit from MIYA. Managed to use it today during lunch and I absolutely love it!

oie_260y8lgVvEjY.jpg

BeFunky-collage.jpg

BeFunky-collage (1).jpg

• Like 2

Arriving soon in the mail is a new dough hook for my stand mixer, nighttime driving glasses for my boyfriend, and some silicone bread pans!

I had this delivered to me by one of my volunteers I manage on Monday.  I'm not much of a revolver guy, but I figure I'd mess with this one a bit.  The price was right.  Came with 16 rounds too, we'll see how well she handles this weekend probably.

Ruger .30 Carbine Blackhawk

10532.thumb.jpeg.d826615b9c3a6d552db4a172e2de0477.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Found this bundle of DVD's on Ebay with:

- Ghost in the Shell: SAC (All 7 Volumes)

- Speed Grapher (All 6 Volumes)

- Erementar Gerad (All 6 Volumes)

- Moribito Full Series

- Air (Full Series)

Plus a bunch of movies: Vampire Hunter D (Special Edition), Patlabor, Blue Gender, etc. 

I'm an absolute sucker for DVD's and 2000-2007 animes. Only issue was that they're R1 imports and don't play in my portable player but oh well. IMG_20191211_150937.thumb.jpg.9ee94e7629bfdfdd63ffaba4c2120488.jpgIMG_20191211_152016.thumb.jpg.e93356478fb8580454a7c504e006539a.jpgIMG_20191211_151936.thumb.jpg.9d370a740dc15df4fcdd892ee491dd99.jpgIMG_20191211_152208.thumb.jpg.c379f8a27c480d60fb2eec97872cba9e.jpg

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

I've been selling all of mine lately.

I probably will as well years down the line. Right now I just have a thing about having physical copies of stuff. I'm the same with books. 

16 minutes ago, RZ. said:

I probably will as well years down the line. Right now I just have a thing about having physical copies of stuff. I'm the same with books. 

I have to have physical copies of things, simply because they're most reliable.  My thing is that most of the DVD's I have I don't think aged well, or at least don't interest me anymore, so I'm axing them while I can still get some of my residual value back.  Of course, the benefit there is that most of these were bought when I was young enough to have my parents buy them...ha.

I bought some felt from Walmart. I've been getting back into sewing lately, and felt is the perfect material for my latest projects. I like how soft it is too~ 💖

This is the most O thing I think I've done in a while...but I am super excited that I got two more of these.  For those of you who don't know - these equate to "the book of knowledge."

IMG_20200303_182815.thumb.jpg.6941651520cc91d0ab5d369f9fee99f4.jpg

Posted (edited)

My old backpack finally gave up the ghost so I went and got a new one...

IMG_0196.thumb.jpg.730dbb6fc48731b9dd19491d5d8624fa.jpg

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 3:51 AM, RZ. said:

Found this bundle of DVD's on Ebay with:

- Ghost in the Shell: SAC (All 7 Volumes)

- Speed Grapher (All 6 Volumes)

- Erementar Gerad (All 6 Volumes)

- Moribito Full Series

- Air (Full Series)

Plus a bunch of movies: Vampire Hunter D (Special Edition), Patlabor, Blue Gender, etc. 

I'm an absolute sucker for DVD's and 2000-2007 animes. Only issue was that they're R1 imports and don't play in my portable player but oh well. IMG_20191211_150937.thumb.jpg.9ee94e7629bfdfdd63ffaba4c2120488.jpgIMG_20191211_152016.thumb.jpg.e93356478fb8580454a7c504e006539a.jpgIMG_20191211_151936.thumb.jpg.9d370a740dc15df4fcdd892ee491dd99.jpgIMG_20191211_152208.thumb.jpg.c379f8a27c480d60fb2eec97872cba9e.jpg

Speed Grapher! 😍 It's so difficult to find fans. 😭

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

On 2/15/2020 at 1:51 AM, RZ. said:

Blue Gender

That's kind of hard to find anymore.  I went looking for it a few years ago to add to my plex collection but nobody had it in stock.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IIVIsouljam said:

Speed Grapher! 😍 It's so difficult to find fans. 😭

One of the most messed up series I've ever seen and that's why it's awesome 😅

19 hours ago, efaardvark said:

That's kind of hard to find anymore.  I went looking for it a few years ago to add to my plex collection but nobody had it in stock.

It's only Blue Gender: Warrior which you can find on amazon pretty cheaply. The TV series is harder to find but I think it might be on Ebay. 

• Agree 1

This year is really the year i'm really starting to focus more and more on looking for anime dvds and manga as while i already did had a few growing up now its really starting to grow more and more whenever i find something i think is cool be it on amazon or while shoping at the second hand video stores. 

Lets just say that my collection is "modest and leave it at that".

I've been doing the exact opposite.  I've been trying to reduce my DVD and manga collection lately.  I earmarked a couple DVD's that will stay, and a couple manga, but the rest need to go.  The manga especially, don't have room for them with the library growing.  DVD's aren't as urgent, since I'm really only replacing them with BD's at this point.  I think 90% of my eBay sales right now are from manga and DVD's.  The rest are small odd collectables.

The last thing I got was my Urakaka My Hero Academia jacket. I think I'm going to get a Black Clover or Demon Slayer hoodie next & I'm playing with the idea of getting some The Promised Neverland stuff too. 

My new jacket:

NoveltyBoy Boku No Hero Academia My Hero Academia Ochaco Uraraka Hoodies Sweatshirt Cosplay Costume Battle Suit Jacket

What I want to get:

Image result for black clover hoodie

3D hoodies, 3dprintsweatshirt, Tops, Demon

Image result for the promised neverland hoodie

Image result for the promised neverland pillow

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Got a new eyeshadow palette, some makeup brushes and a Chinese Blue Lotus teacup. 006354.thumb.jpg.1581a92d07110cbc3ac660abd14bc644.jpg

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Yesterday I purchased a book titled Any Human Heart by William Boyd. Reading the synopsis I was a bit overwhelmed by the direction of this novel. Filled with the anthology of self, fascism, war, post-war, cultural and social perspective of World War II.

"he serves in World War II, sees the cultural revolution in the 1950s and 60s, and takes advantage of modern transport in his extensive travels around the world. Rather than being re-told in hindsight, their importance in context, historical events are seen through the petty lens of every-day living. For example, in an entry from the 1920s, Mountstuart notes "Coffee with Land Fothergill at the Cadena. She was wearing a velvet coat that matched her eyes. We talked a little stiffly about Mussolini and Italy and I was embarrassed to note how much better informed she was than I."

Respect the idea to take historical context and add a bit of a monotonous scope of the ordinary to it. The conjecture of times being externally dissected, contrasting an internal first-person account with realism. However, I'm not fully convinced that the novel is some profound representation of epistemology. It's been said that the book has moments of hypocrisy, contradictions and analytical proceedings that trail off without point. I've seen the main structure of multiplicity used countless of times in reviews as a means to examine the  book's reputation through "the changing self". Additionally, the L.A. Times (and smaller articles) call the book's format fresh. I can think about a dozen epistolary novels off the top of my head….

The novel's themes include:

• Multiplicity of the self.
  • The 20th century.

"'We keep a journal to entrap the collection of selves that forms us, the individual human being' the narrator explains. Boyd confirmed 'this thesis that we are an anthology, a composite of many selves' is a theme of the book. While man's fundamental nature remains the same, he moves in and out of happiness, love and good health. Wisdom, as with age, is slowly acquired."

I've found some intrigue in the wisdom v. illusory superiority. Not sure if exploring the theme of "self" meant to touch on/were inspired by the likes of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. It reminded me of the study regardless. If you're interested in that sort of thing this novel is definitely worth looking over before diving in. Personally, I gather that this is going to be an intended mockery of the human condition, while introducing thought-provoking elements. Nevertheless Boyd's on-again, off-again stance. Should be interesting. 😆

20200320_034049.thumb.jpg.4411ba662c3a10b5d74288c7b7281615.jpg 

I'm in the middle of doing some research work into my family history. It's been fairly difficult with the pandemic but I had started this journey before all of that and my project has been on hold since. The most I've been doing is travelling by vehicle and conducting interviews (following safety guidelines, of course). I've been writing down my findings and sticking polaroid photos in these notebooks recently purchased. Waiting for libraries and genealogy departments to open but lately I've been nervous about my work. Took a break from online activity to lay a good friend of the family's to rest. He passed from COVID-19 in NY last week. Now the friend he was staying with at the time is getting tested. My aunt and uncle were around him not long before he had fallen ill. The whole situation gave me enough anxiety that my study has been put back on the shelf again.

000buy.thumb.jpg.9022d1af9ce81d9ce6537dd977323649.jpg 

• Like 1

^ Family history research is a rollercoaster, no matter who you are.  I'd be interested to see/hear the kind of things that you find in your quest.  Things get a little rocky by about 1700 in most cases.  I had to jump to "court records" when I ran back to about 1720 on one side, and that only got me to about 1430.  That was just one branch too - most of them I don't have much success beyond about 1800.

IMG_20200522_161834.thumb.jpg.edbfa93f37eaf99ce3824720c4387c11.jpg

The most recent haul included some light reading, for fun reading, and something to get the damn squirrels to stop chewing on my gutters.  Now before you all get all worried, that gun is a lot more scary looking than it actually is.  It's mostly made of plastic and die and shoots BB's, not bullets.  The goal is to scare them and make them sore, not to injure.  I'm just really getting sick of being woken up at 6 AM everyday by my gutters getting gnawed on.

• Like 1

@The History Kid 

I'll post what I have to my blog soon. :) It all started when a man in a suit knocked on my door looking for my grandmother. I had been taking care of her for a few years now, to give my mother a break. Turns out that my grandmother's great-grandfather had land scattered across the countryside and on two properties, they struck oil and minerals. They needed her and her siblings permission to continue extraction. She got an attorney and went through the process. He was kind and had an interest in her family history. He pointed me in the right direction by giving me a folder with names and incomplete death certificates. So far my findings have been interesting—in a crazy sort of way. I started to become closely invested when my grandmother was heartbroken that she lived in the same state as her mother and never knew. Her mother passed just three years before the information came to reach her. They were separated when she gave her up when she was only a year old.

I was doing the dishes one evening when my grandmother gave me a box of personal diaries. That night I read through some of them and wept. She's losing her memories and soon her entire identity will be unknown to her. There was so much she didn't know to begin with. I would like to make a record of my research for my nephews. My grandfather died when I was only eight and I've been tracing his family to get to know him better. I think my nephews will appreciate it.

Well, right now extended family only care about their share in oil royalties and land. Apparently, my great-great-great-grandfather had a lot of it. They've been battling it out legally for over three years now. My grandmother's attorney set everything the way she wanted it before her Alzheimer's worsened. The money is going to collect until her passing and her share will go to my mother and her five siblings. Eventually to my siblings and me. Not sure how I feel about that but I'm more interested in buying back the land my grandmother was actually born on. The history will be the only rewarding thing I would want out of this. If the day ever came for my share I would probably donate it to places of historical preservation.  

• Like 1

Got a Berserk and Cyberpunk 2077 shirt today, er- yesterday (it's 2 a.m. here)! The Berserk shirt is going to need to be a night-shirt. Crunchyroll's x-small in men's is still too big. 😆 Hot Topic's x-small in men's is perfect though, go figure! Purchased a massive box of oil pastels from Crayola. Normally I use pretty expensive pastels but I recently tried Crayola and found that they would be nice to use on more casual projects. That way I can save more! 😱

Spoiler

933296283_00087453r(1).thumb.jpg.a36c403c265fdaad62f4a79576901e37.jpg

• Like 1