Jump to content

Latest Acquisitions


The History Kid
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Animedragon said:

The rest of the parts for my computer upgrade have arrived. 🙂

Now comes the fun bit of taking the computer apart and fitting all the new bits in.

I've always loved booting up a new build/upgrade. I just got a second SSD to put in my computron. Those games on Steam can really take up the space.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Animedragon said:

The rest of the parts for my computer upgrade have arrived. 🙂

Now comes the fun bit of taking the computer apart and fitting all the new bits in.

I love to build new systems and upgrade old systems.  (Though with prices as they’ve been for the past couple years I’ve had to exercise restraint and only go for the upgrades that are actually necessary.  It’s been tough.  :D  )  I’m still using an older AMD 2700X-based system with an ancient - in computer years - RX 480 GPU but I’ve been keeping up with prices and tech with an eye towards building a brand new system, once the prices for GPUs and DDR5 bits come down a skoshi.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

I love to build new systems and upgrade old systems.  (Though with prices as they’ve been for the past couple years I’ve had to exercise restraint and only go for the upgrades that are actually necessary.  It’s been tough.  :D  )  I’m still using an older AMD 2700X-based system with an ancient - in computer years - RX 480 GPU but I’ve been keeping up with prices and tech with an eye towards building a brand new system, once the prices for GPUs and DDR5 bits come down a skoshi.

Way back in the old days I used to rebuild my computer every two years when a new faster CPU came out. My current machine was built when Win 7 came out so its CPU is well out of date and struggles with some modern software, so it's well overdue for a rebuild. 😄

  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Soramee_ said:

9E9D8D62-A3A6-48DB-B0DA-B8F12387BF2F.thumb.jpeg.d021165512394c6ee3e010b7a5107d02.jpeg

27889C0B-5EAD-44E0-8D64-A61FEF5608D8.thumb.jpeg.8a0c11d7523b2ae9ffe655a1e5890750.jpeg

Noice! It's been a long time since I watched Lucky Star. I should revisit it sometime.

I'm still struggling through chapter 1 of Spy x Family in Japanese. 😅

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya dvd

I've got that one as well.   👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, viruxx said:

Is it indeed the world's strongest coffee? No idea. But, it definitely smells amazing in the bag, and I can't wait to brew some tomorrow morning.

It's a full-bodied coffee for sure. I'm not sure that I'd go so far to say it's the world's "strongest" coffee (although it's possible that could have something to do with my grinds/water ratio), but it no doubt blows the more common household brands out of the water. Brewed it in a French press, and it was rather delightful. I'm going to try an espresso with this next time. That said, while this coffee is good, I still prefer a medium roast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

i got a new ssd since i only have 250 gb on my pc

 

It never ceases to amaze me that PC's are sold with hard drives that small these days.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They were handing out mission-branded refrigerator magnets at work today.  (Launch was scrubbed but they let us keep the swag.  Next try NET Friday.)

6CA41DF9-37B6-4ADC-8E73-8BB8DD6D087F.thumb.jpeg.cf9963f415ed6d623d43cdfe659a17ba.jpeg

13 hours ago, Animedragon said:

It never ceases to amaze me that PC's are sold with hard drives that small these days.

I tend to go small on the boot drive too.  I put in the highest-performing SSD that I can afford, then net-mount my files from a Synology NAS across the LAN.  Makes boots quick and keeps my data safe from (most) harm.  I'd be ok with a 250G drive.  As long as the OS fits and can get the system to the point it can access the network I'm good.  One of my older systems is still using a 40G drive.

 

Edited by efaardvark
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

They were handing out mission-branded refrigerator magnets at work today.  (Launch was scrubbed but they let us keep the swag.  Next try NET Friday.)

6CA41DF9-37B6-4ADC-8E73-8BB8DD6D087F.thumb.jpeg.cf9963f415ed6d623d43cdfe659a17ba.jpeg

Nice swag. Shame about the launch, but a wise decision if things aren't 100% ready for launch.

 

On the matter of the 250GB hard drive. I can see how a drive of that size would be fine if you're accessing your data on a NAS over a LAN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just received these three DVD sets.
Little Busters is a series I've thought about watching for several years, but various reviews, comments and YouTube clips had me wondering if it was a series I'd like, and the DVD sets were rather expensive and certainly more than I was prepared to pay for a series I might not like.
Then I found an on-line shop doing a clearance offer, all three sets for £12 and free postage, it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

 

Little-Busters.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Got this little beauty in today. It's a Pilot Metropolitan fountain pen, fine nib. I'm going to seriously try revisiting the lost art of penmanship (lord knows, my penmanship is atrocious 🤢). It's going to take a little getting used to, because unlike a ballpoint pen, it doesn't require as much pressure (barely any pressure, actually) to get the ink flowing. It can also bleed through the paper if you're not careful with it. So far I like it, though. 😃

fountain_pen1.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WOW! A real pen! It must be a couple of decades since I last used one of those. They were almost a requirement at school, you were sort of looked down on if you didn't have one, as I recall my first one had little lever on the side to suck up ink from a bottle into its internal ink sac. The arrival of cartridge pens were much less messy and meant you never had to worry about running out of ink as you could carry spare ink without worrying if the bottle would leak in your bag, which happened to most people eventually. You could have a couple of spare ink cartridges in your blazer pocket quite safely.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Animedragon said:

WOW! A real pen! It must be a couple of decades since I last used one of those. They were almost a requirement at school, you were sort of looked down on if you didn't have one, as I recall my first one had little lever on the side to suck up ink from a bottle into its internal ink sac. The arrival of cartridge pens were much less messy and meant you never had to worry about running out of ink as you could carry spare ink without worrying if the bottle would leak in your bag, which happened to most people eventually. You could have a couple of spare ink cartridges in your blazer pocket quite safely.

Sadly, you don't see these kinds of pens in wide use over here in the States that much, except maybe in the once in a while formal or business settings, or if the odd someone just uses them for personal reasons. When looking into how to improve penmanship, almost everyone that had anything to say about it said, "Get a fountain pen and some decent paper that can take the ink." This pen writes really smooth. I'm kinda sad I didn't have one until now. Feels like I missed out in a way.

This pen came with one black ink cartridge and a bulb-type converter to draw ink into the pen from a bottle, but it doesn't hold that much (maybe around 0.2 or 0.3 ml?). I might invest in a larger capacity converter with the screw-type piston mechanism to draw up ink and use the bulb when cleaning the pen. Might pick up a few extra carts just for good measure too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, viruxx said:

Sadly, you don't see these kinds of pens in wide use over here in the States that much, except maybe in the once in a while formal or business settings, or if the odd someone just uses them for personal reasons. When looking into how to improve penmanship, almost everyone that had anything to say about it said, "Get a fountain pen and some decent paper that can take the ink." This pen writes really smooth. I'm kinda sad I didn't have one until now. Feels like I missed out in a way.

This pen came with one black ink cartridge and a bulb-type converter to draw ink into the pen from a bottle, but it doesn't hold that much (maybe around 0.2 or 0.3 ml?). I might invest in a larger capacity converter with the screw-type piston mechanism to draw up ink and use the bulb when cleaning the pen. Might pick up a few extra carts just for good measure too.

I don't think many people use them here in the UK either, I think it must be a couple of years since I saw someone use one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've bought myself a new 24" full HD 1920x1080 monitor, the old one was looking a bit dull. It's still fine for text but not so good for photo and video editing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

My grandfather passed away recently so my parents went to his house clean things up and I don’t know why but he had everything I didn’t expect him to have: 

15C2EF76-303E-4913-8568-15BD0EF1E4EE.thumb.jpeg.a9a23122576c3a97ec6e1ebffe64c62c.jpeg

10E34E01-E8E7-4724-958B-39BECB421F0C.thumb.jpeg.4d0faf21e27d91b96e4b06859f032a4f.jpeg

512B213F-6724-47A1-AECE-36EE68686C26.thumb.jpeg.021ef20636e7d05048997b89a4010af4.jpeg 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...